🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Concerned over client's increase in budget an...
Page options
_saadkhan_
Community Member

Concerned over client's increase in budget and payment.

Im VERY new to upwork, and recently got hired by a client. The client's budget was $30. I showed her an initial prototype of the product she asked for. She told me she felt, by looking at the prototype that $30 was a low cost for the job, and increased her budget to $50. I confirmed this by viewing the job posting, but I didn't get a notification from escrow regarding the extra $20 deposit. Also, I am unable to change my terms to take my bid from $30 to $50. I'm concerned whether I'll recieve the extra payment or not. What should I do?

P.S: It is a one milestone job (payment to be received once the job is completed).

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Saad K wrote:

She hired me before and liked my work. She said she will hire me again, which she did. She sent me an invite for the new job she posted. When I clicked on the invite, it prompted me to submit a proposal, which I did. It also cost me the connects required for the job, which I found weird, as she invited me. After that in the messaging tab it showed that $30 had been deposited by her in escrow, but that was before she decided to increase the budget. I'm confused.

If you've worked with her before, all she would do is send you a new contract. But I can understand this happening if you're both new. However, you wouldn't have connects deducted. You can check under "Reports" and "Connects History" to confirm if connects were deducted. If so, I would reach out to customer support. 

If she is new, she may not have realized she didn't add the additional $$ into escrow and added it to the job post by mistake. This is a simple fix. If the contract is still live, she can simply edit the current milestone or add a milestone for the remaining $20. 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000990268-Add-and-Edit-Milestones

Share the article. You might just need to educate her. 

Good luck

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
robin_hyman
Community Member

It sounds like she increased the project on the job posting but not on your contract.

Did you even have a contract? She is not obligated to pay if you did the work for free.

She hired me before and liked my work. She said she will hire me again, which she did. She sent me an invite for the new job she posted. When I clicked on the invite, it prompted me to submit a proposal, which I did. It also cost me the connects required for the job, which I found weird, as she invited me. After that in the messaging tab it showed that $30 had been deposited by her in escrow, but that was before she decided to increase the budget. I'm confused.

Saad K wrote:

If you've worked with her before, all she would do is send you a new contract. But I can understand this happening if you're both new. However, you wouldn't have connects deducted. You can check under "Reports" and "Connects History" to confirm if connects were deducted. If so, I would reach out to customer support. 

If she is new, she may not have realized she didn't add the additional $$ into escrow and added it to the job post by mistake. This is a simple fix. If the contract is still live, she can simply edit the current milestone or add a milestone for the remaining $20. 

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000990268-Add-and-Edit-Milestones

Share the article. You might just need to educate her. 

Good luck

Dear Robin, thank you for the lightning fast response. Yes my client is new as well, I'll make sure to show her the link you shared. 

Just one more question, why wasn't I able to change my bid from the "my propsed terms" menu?

Just one more question, why wasn't I able to change my bid from the "my propsed terms" menu?

I'm not sure

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Saad,

It looks like you declined the offer, this is why you're not able to update terms. You can discuss with the client to send you a new offer with the agreed budget. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I declined the offer after Robin provided me with the solution

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths