🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Concerns
Page options
cory-knight
Community Member

Concerns

I had just taken a job a few days ago. I had to remind the person that I could only take payments within Upwork when he had a different method in mind. However, I recently re-read an e-mail saying that you couldn't do work outside of Upwork, which is what I ended up doing. In addition, he's asking to purchase supplies for a project. I just told him that I had to quit this job, but what should I do now?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So presumably that means when you go to your My Jobs Page, there is no contract?

You need to stop sending proposals and take some time to familiarize yourself with how the platform works, how payments work and so on.

New US based entry level freelancers are the main target for all the scammers out there.

Read everything on this post

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
tlbp
Community Member

Report the client

cory-knight
Community Member

Where do I go specifically to report what happened?

petra_r
Community Member

Cory K wrote:

I had just taken a job a few days ago. I had to remind the person that I could only take payments within Upwork when he had a different method in mind. However, I recently re-read an e-mail saying that you couldn't do work outside of Upwork, which is what I ended up doing. In addition, he's asking to purchase supplies for a project. I just told him that I had to quit this job, but what should I do now?

You can "do work" outside of Upwork, you just can't get PAID outside of Upwork.

Are you actually even hired? Is the contract showing on your My Jobs Page? 

What does that "job" involve?

"buying supplies" is always a red flag.

It doesn't show on my profile. I was asked to send a resume to a gmail account (the message I had just reported with the same message of this topic), and the interview was on Google Hangouts. The "Artistry World" doesn't seem to have an account here anymore, and the proposal link is gone. 

That being said, I still have the conversation in my profile.

So presumably that means when you go to your My Jobs Page, there is no contract?

You need to stop sending proposals and take some time to familiarize yourself with how the platform works, how payments work and so on.

New US based entry level freelancers are the main target for all the scammers out there.

Read everything on this post

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

Thank you, Ms. Petra. I apologize for any trouble I've caused.

I was suspicious for a while, but today confirmed I was right to. Hopefully, this won't happen again.

Petra R wrote:

I fail to understand why

Also this was the job description, they gave me, straight from my messages:

Okay sounds good. Actually we need a graphic designer or preferably an art Administrator to support the me including the art consultants and the art handler in a variety of tasks which may include:
* Designing the visual identity of organizations and brands such as logos.
* Publishing. The cover and layout of books and other publications.
* Logo and simple Adverts content with eye popping content for Social media and marketing purpose
* Photoshopping of Artworks
* T-shirt, flyers and banner designs for marketing purpose
* Administrative duties such as designing an invoice which will be issued to the customer after every purchases. Designing spreadsheet to record every activities for the week i.e the sales, prices, expenses, such as your week-pay, and other expenses.
* Processing art supplies to procurement agent
* Produce still and animated graphics
* Use computer software to generate new images.
* Mark up, paste, and assemble final layouts to prepare layouts for printer.
* Draw and print charts, graphs, illustrations, and other artwork, using computer etc.

The project requires an average time of 3-4 hours daily and 15-16 hours weekly, whereby you'll be making your own schedule but most importantly keep to the time frame and also report directly to the director daily.

Regarding any given tasks.

We are ready to offer $400 weekly for a trial period of one month for commencement.

Let me know if you understand every details outlined above perfectly so that we can proceed further from there.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, Cory. 

I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

When working on Upwork, please make sure that you have a contract with a client before doing any work. Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths