🐈 Community
ltindel

Confirming new clients

I think it should be required for new clients to confirm and verify payment. I think this would cut down on the scams and frauds. It is so disappointing to keep going through this thinking I may have found a postion and then to figure out it's a scam. I JUST WANT TO WORK. I have mad skills and tons of experience in sales in customer service.  This is so draining. I have flagged the listings I knew were scams only to see it there day after day, I see people still submitting proposals. This makes #8 of scammers. That is 16 credits used for nothing.

5 REPLIES 5
tlsanders

I get your point, but I think that requirement would kill off a lot of good business. As someone who previously hired a lot of contractors online for an Inc. 500 company, I know that unless a site came highly recommended by a trusted colleague with a lot of experience, I would not have entered a company credit card before finding out whether there was someone I'd want to hire.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this--especially when there are so very many options for finding freelancers.

@Tiffany S wrote:

I get your point, but I think that requirement would kill off a lot of good business. As someone who previously hired a lot of contractors online for an Inc. 500 company, I know that unless a site came highly recommended by a trusted colleague with a lot of experience, I would not have entered a company credit card before finding out whether there was someone I'd want to hire.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this--especially when there are so very many options for finding freelancers.

I agree.  The more steps you put on a new client trying to hire, the less likely they will post here.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
csjarmitage

A confirmed payment menthod does not mean the client is trustworthy.  I think that gives people a false sense of security.  

I'm more interested in a client's history on Upwork.  It shows me their hire rate, their average pay rate and the satisfaction ratings they've received from other freelancers.

That's a good point, Christy. Slackers and scammers have credit cards, too.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

I really would appreciate if clients have to legitimate themselves before they are able to post job offers here. Yes, there would be less clients and less job offers but also less scammers who open an account with a fake-emails, pretend to be a business, use fake company names, false locations, stolen credit cards etc.

I only work for companies and private persons whom I can identify and for whom I can issue a proper invoice and apply VAT according their locations. Any proper legitimate company will take the time to establish an account with all necessary information. Only scammers and farmers are always in a hurry.