cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Confused About Milestone

Prokhor S Member Since: Feb 5, 2019
1 of 10

Hi everyone, 

I am a bit confused about one of my milestone issue. I & My client agreed to a job of $50 and then he likes my report ask me to do deliver another report with extended data added on that. So we agreed on another$50. Then I ask him to create the milestone and I didn't notice that he just updated the milestone. Now the contract said that $100 as budget. But in escrow, it shows $50. And my next milestone is due today but I provided him the file when he updated the milestone. And there is no chance to submit any report today. What's the scenario? Can anyone please explain?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks!

Ace Contributor
Muhammad Shamshad A Member Since: Jul 24, 2018
2 of 10

Hi Prokhor,

Edit: You have submitted the payment request for the first milestone so now you need to wait upto 14 days for the payment of the first milerstone to be released automatically.

Does this help?

All the best,

Muhammad.

3 of 10

Actually, the scenario is the following. Nothing paid, Only $50 in escrow. but the budget is $100 and $100 is remaining. 

He pays me or not pays me, I want to know will it hurt my JSS as the due date in the second milestone shows 6th Feb but there is no option to submit any work.

Thanks!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ace Contributor
4 of 10

Appologies Prokhor,

I have updated my previous answer, You have used "Submit work for payment button" which means you have to wait upto 14 days for the payment of first milestone to be released automatically.

I don't recommend using "Submit work for payment" Button if the client is responsive. After completing the agreed upon work, you can simply ask him to release the milestone to get the payment instantly rather than using an automated button.

He has funded the second milestone now(50$ in the escrow), 50$ for the first milestone are in the automatic releasing process(upto 14 days). Thats why, only 50$ in the escrow are showing(2nd milestone). The 50$ for the first milestone are now removed from the escrow and are on your way.

Does this help?

All the best,

Muhammad.

Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
5 of 10

"I don't recommend using "Submit work for payment" Button if the client is responsive. After completing the agreed upon work, you can simply ask him to release the milestone to get the payment instantly rather than using an automated button."

This is bad advice. Unless you submit the work using the "Submit Work and Request Payment" button, there is zero record of you submitting your work, and you are therefore not protected under the fixed price protection system.

Using the method as it's designed protects both parties, and provides verification of what has been done should a dispute arise. It also allows the client to apply a "hands-off" approach, since once the payment is requested, they don't have to do anything and the freelancer is automatically paid out of escrow after 14 days.

Ace Contributor
6 of 10

Thanks you for the correction, Micheal.

BTW i didn't used that button ever i will start using it from now on.

-Muhammad.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
BEST ANSWER
7 of 10

Prokhor S wrote:

Actually, the scenario is the following. Nothing paid, Only $50 in escrow. but the budget is $100 and $100 is remaining. 

He pays me or not pays me, I want to know will it hurt my JSS as the due date in the second milestone shows 6th Feb but there is no option to submit any work.

Thanks!

You used the submit for payment button, that is good. That is what you are supposed to do. 

If the client had created a second milestone, he would only be able to do that after he approved the first milestone. He did not do that, he just changed the budget, which means nothing. 

So ask him to approve the first milestone and add the second one. Then you will be able to use the submit for payment button again. 

This will not hurt your JSS in any way, only the feedback could. 

I hope you did not send the second part of the job, wait with that until the above has happened. 

Edit: you sent him the file already. If this client is out to take advantage of you, you will receive USD 50. If he is inexperienced and has not done this on purpose, he will do as above. 

You have learned a valuable lesson: how you are supposed to use the platform in order to get paid: always submit by klicking the button, never send work if a milestone is not in place or unfunded. 

8 of 10

All issues solved. Thanks for the help.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 10

Prokhor S wrote:

No, the due date is completely irrelevant as far as your JSS is concerned.

If the client never gets in touch again, the 50 for the first milestone gets released after 14 days automatically.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 10

The client never funded the second milestone, only the first. Tell the client to release the first milestone and fund & activate the second one before you can continue to work on this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS