Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused

hussain_sarah
Sarah H Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
1 of 6

Hi,

I am new here. I applied on a job, and the client contacted me.
He offered me to do another job instead.
He asked for a test article, I sent him one.
Later he asked for a free test article regarding foods.
I am thinking its fishy although the payment method is verified.

I want to ask here, that if i land on a job for article writing, where should i send the article to client ensuring that i am paid ?
In the message window ? Or is there some other way, by which upwork ensures payment.

I am not willing to do hectic work and sending it without getting paid.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 6

Kindly tell the client that it is against ToS to ask for free tests.  Tell him/her you will gladly do a small sample for a fee, but you cannot provide work without a contract. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
proofpudding
Ace Contributor
Ailsa C Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 6

Hi Sarah,

If this is a fixed price contract, you should wait until the client has made you a firm job offer, which you accept, and then until the client has funded escrow. Payment is then assured and the funds remain in escrow until you have completed the job, when the client will release them.

If he is asking you to do work before making you a firm offer through the Upwork system, then you should explain that you are happy to do the work as soon as he has confirmed the job offer and put the fee into escrow.

I am afraid that anything else is indeed 'fishy'.

Good luck

Ailsa

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 6

Hi Sarah,

Make sure that the client hires you for a job before you submit any work to them. If the job is hourly, you can log time using the Team App and submit the files via the Messages. If the job is fixed-price, you will see Submit Work/Request Payment button on your Job Details page.

Here are a couple of articles with more information about getting paid:

Get Paid for my Fixed-Price Contracts

Get Paid for My Hourly Contracts

~ Valeria
Upwork
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
5 of 6

Valeria types faster than I do. Smiley Very Happy

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 6

@sarah H wrote:

Hi,

I am new here. I applied on a job, and the client contacted me.
He offered me to do another job instead.
He asked for a test article, I sent him one.
Later he asked for a free test article regarding foods.
I am thinking its fishy although the payment method is verified.

I want to ask here, that if i land on a job for article writing, where should i send the article to client ensuring that i am paid ?
In the message window ? Or is there some other way, by which upwork ensures payment.

I am not willing to do hectic work and sending it without getting paid.

You got scammed for free work.

Report the job. Chances are he's done this to a few people. When I first started here, I had some loser try to do this to me and I reported the job and POOF it went.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS