cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Confusion about milestone and bonus payments, is it really safe?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
1 of 8

Hi there,

I am little bit confused about clients payments. Aa far as I know that it is okay for the client to issue a bonus payment under the fixed price contracts. Even if the payment was given through bonus payments, it will still reflect to the contract's earnings under the Work History and Feedback when it is ended. 

But I dont understand about how its reflect to the contracts earnings under the work history?

And Alredy my clients dont want to post a new job again and again. Clients want to pay me via Bonus. Because 3 milestone is finished.  That is why clients paying me through bonus.

Is it safe procedure?I am confused about it. Because My previous client gave me milestone but I had no idea, when his account suspended then money reversed. 

as a result free work. 

Please anyone if you have rich knowledge about it, clarify me. 

Thank you very much. 

~~!!!~~~Spelling mistakes~~~~!!!!!not my fault~~~!!!!~~~~

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
2 of 8

Your client could pay you through bonuses, but he could also go the much cleaner, and for you safer, route of paying you through milestones. There is no milestone limit on Upwork (at least there wasn't when I last checked), which means your client could easily set up a 4th, 5th, 6th and so on milestone.

I often get paid via bonuses for additional project work I do on my hourly contract. Instead of being paid for the time I work, my client issues bonuses to pay me for the value I delivered. For us going the bonus route is easier because I have an hourly contract, not a fixed price one with him. But that solution isn't perfect either because I get real bonuses as well, and at the end of the year, it's painful trying to make sense of it all.

If you allow your client to pay via bonuses for actual milestones, you also have no recourse should he ever decide not to pay. I would ask him to set up a milestone, or series of milestones, instead (he doesn't have to open a new contract for this), and reserve bonus payments for actual bonuses. You may also want to get him to close and rate the contract from time to time, and can explain that ratings are very important on Upwork, and because the agreed upon work has been done, you'd like this contract closed and rated before continuing.

While all of this is common sense, it is a bit of a sensitive subject especially when dealing with certain kind of clients, so you want to be friendly and assertive, but not come across as pushy.

Good luck.

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 8

Thank you for great advice Krisztina and really it helps. But my client dont want to close the contract and dont want to open a new job every single time. I asked her but she contacted customer support and customer suppport told her that no problem if she dont want to close the contract. 

And Also I can request her cordially not the other way. Because all clients are not equal. If she is not comforting to create a new job, what should I do?

I am agree with you that it is a bit of a sensitive subject especially when dealing with certain kind of clients, so I want to be friendly and assertive. Of course I am . 

Thank you Very much for your kind info. 

I am glad that such a great info. 

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 8

I just tell them to do whatever is easiest for them. Add milestone, open job, whatever. I'll offer to create a new milestone if they are busy too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 8

Hi Khadezatul

As krisztina said, the best way is for you to ask them to leave the contract open and create and fund a new milestone. It's easy for them and safe for you, and the contracts stays open so everybody's happy.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 8

Thank you very much Stephen .

I already asked but no answers yet. I hope she will understand. 

Thanks every body for kind help.

Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
7 of 8

Send her to us..we'll sort her out Man Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 8

Ha ha ha h ah ha Smiley LOL

I will telll her to join the community........

Thanks Stephen

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS