🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Confusion about the Proposal.
Page options
ibtesamsadiq
Community Member

Confusion about the Proposal.

Hi, I am new to freelancing and I have some questions about writing a proposal to the client. I know that I am not allowed to share contact information before winning the proposal. So I want to know if:-

Q#1: I want to add my Artstation portfolio and It has my social media and email links. So is it OK if I post the links to my portfolio like this**Edited for Community Guidelines**?

because the above link doesn't have direct information about my contacts. please check the link and let me know If I am wrong.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Q#2: Sometimes, the Client has location criteria that I don't meet as I live in Pakistan and the location criteria is the USA. So, what are the chances of me, getting hired by clients if I still apply for that job while meeting all the requirements other than location?

I am from the game industry so in my category competition is less. like 5 to 10 ( sometimes 10 to 15) proposals on a job.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Ibtesam,

Yes, you can share your external portfolios. Portfolios are an important part of a freelancer’s bidding process to show off their past work and their potential to complete a future project. That is why we are not prohibiting the sharing of external links to personal portfolios or other websites that provide examples of past work. We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When you share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place.

Regarding your second question. Clients who want to work with freelancers located in the United States can post jobs that only allow U.S. freelancers to submit proposals. If your profile states your location is in the U.S., we'll need to confirm your location before you can submit proposals to those jobs. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
NikolaS

Hi Ibtesam,

Yes, you can share your external portfolios. Portfolios are an important part of a freelancer’s bidding process to show off their past work and their potential to complete a future project. That is why we are not prohibiting the sharing of external links to personal portfolios or other websites that provide examples of past work. We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When you share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place.

Regarding your second question. Clients who want to work with freelancers located in the United States can post jobs that only allow U.S. freelancers to submit proposals. If your profile states your location is in the U.S., we'll need to confirm your location before you can submit proposals to those jobs. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nikola,

Thanks for clearing out my confusion. I will make sure to keep all payment process on Upwork because I don't want to be scammed by going out of the platform. Smiley Wink

but, regarding my second question. The client actually posted the job worldwide but he set the preferred qualification to the USA Location. so, I was curious that if there is any chance of getting hired if I meet all other requirements.

Hi Ibtesam,

Clients may still hire you if they believe you're a good fit for their project, however, that would be up to them given they set that preferred qualification in their job post.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi,

Thanks for clear my second answer

I am also confused about one thing more.

I was in an interview with my client but after having a discussion for 3 to 4 days. finally, the client asked for the price, and the price that told him was out of his range so I lower the price for him and he wanted me to lower it more but I denied so he told me that he will come back after a few hours. and he hired someone else. and in all that time, I just thought I will get the job so I stopped applying to other jobs while I was in an interview with the client.

Right now I am again in an interview with my new client it seems like he is happy with my portfolio and willing to give me the job but he asked me to have a discussion again after 2 to 3 days.

Q#1. So I want to know if should I apply to other jobs while I am waiting for the response from him? or I should just wait for him.

Q#2. and If I apply for multiple jobs and 2 clients are willing to give me the job. what should I do in that situation? if I decline other client after having a detailed discussion wouldn't he mind?

Hi Ibtesam,

I'm afraid I may not be able to point you in the right direction here, but in general, that's mostly up to you. You can apply to as many jobs as you want, any time you want, as long as you have the required Connects. You also can work on more than one contract at a time, but if you're on an hourly contract, you will not be able to track your time using the Desktop App, while working on more than one contract at the exact same time.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi,

Thanks for the replying

Ibtesam S wrote:

I am also confused about one thing more.

I was in an interview with my client but after having a discussion for 3 to 4 days. finally, the client asked for the price, and the price that told him was out of his range so I lower the price for him and he wanted me to lower it more but I denied so he told me that he will come back after a few hours. and he hired someone else. and in all that time, I just thought I will get the job so I stopped applying to other jobs while I was in an interview with the client.

Right now I am again in an interview with my new client it seems like he is happy with my portfolio and willing to give me the job but he asked me to have a discussion again after 2 to 3 days.

Q#1. So I want to know if should I apply to other jobs while I am waiting for the response from him? or I should just wait for him.

Q#2. and If I apply for multiple jobs and 2 clients are willing to give me the job. what should I do in that situation? if I decline other client after having a detailed discussion wouldn't he mind?

Q#1: Can you afford to sit around idle and not to have income for several days? Unless you are drowing in work, you should keep applying.

Q#2: When a clients does not hire you "on the spot" but want to delay a few days, inform him that the delivery date might change due to other obligations.

Hi Jennifer, Thanks for replying.

I think this is only going to implement on short-term projects. but, I am from the game development field so almost every project is long-term and takes 1 to 3 months. for game projects, it's an average duration for a project. I don't think any client would like to wait for that long. I think the only option is to apply for multiple jobs. and if 2 or more clients are willing to hire me then I should choose one which gives the better rate.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members