🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connect Changes
Page options
priyanka_rvtech
Community Member

Connect Changes

Hi, I have heared a lot  that upwork suspends freelancer profiles if someone posts too many proposals on jobs and don't get reply. does it happens to established freelancers as well, who are top rated on upwork? I am asking this because if someone is paying for membership, it does not sound fair to them.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Priyanka S wrote:

do you mean to say that, upwork won't suspend profiles now ?

Not for not winning enough jobs, according to Lena.

But according to Avery the opposite is the case, so it's better to wait and see which version is correct now.

At any rate, there is little to no point being on a platform where you don't win any jobs.

On the other hand, established freelancers who have a history of winning contracts, never had anything to worry about anyway.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
donaldcasteel
Community Member

It goes beyond that... 

I don't understand, it's the freelancers that make the money for Upwork, no freelancers means no clients, without us Upwork couldn't even exist!

But Upwork keeps tightening the noose on itself, making things harder and harder for the freelancers. I'm truly about ready to give up on Upwork!

NOW....  I get a notice that you are now going to charge $0.15 per connect and up the number of connects it takes to bid on a job! 

No mention anywhere of reducing the 20% they take off the top from what we earn from the clients.

It's like.... hmmm, we need more profit let's just rip-off our freelancers (and clients in the end)!

The Upwork business model requires virtually no overhead, and needs very little capital compared to other types of businesses. It's obvious the company has no concept of controlling costs, no concept of efficiency, and it seems like no idea how to run a business!!

You people (Upwork Leadership) wouldn't survive very long in the manufacturing arena for sure... take a guess on what happens when a manufacturer tries raising it's prices? 

My suggestion: No matter how well you're doing... run your business every day like your loosing your customers, employees, and sales. That's how you stay in business and grow your business.

Control your costs first.

• Where is every dollar going
  • Did it need to be spent?
  • What is the return?
  • Am I over staffed?
  • Are my people's efforts being applied in the right directions?
  • Is my bureaucracy wasting my people's time?

Don - You forgot to mention - what do I do as a company when I am losing money.

Actually I did, though somewhat indirectly

• First and foremost, know and control your costs.
  • Provide excellent customer service
  • Know your product (in this case your freelancers)
  • Value and respect your product, your people and your clients

Don C wrote:

It goes beyond that... 

I don't understand, it's the freelancers that make the money for Upwork, no freelancers means no clients, without us Upwork couldn't even exist!

It's true that Upwork needs a certain number of freelancers. Currently, it has at least 10x that number, and the vast majority have never made a single dime on the site.

But Upwork keeps tightening the noose on itself, making things harder and harder for the freelancers. I'm truly about ready to give up on Upwork!

I don't know anything about you and your business model, but in a general sense, a lot of us believe that's exactly what they want--for a very large number of freelancers who aren't the most profitable to self-select off the platform.

NOW....  I get a notice that you are now going to charge $0.15 per connect and up the number of connects it takes to bid on a job! 

No mention anywhere of reducing the 20% they take off the top from what we earn from the clients.

It's like.... hmmm, we need more profit let's just rip-off our freelancers (and clients in the end)!

By "more profit," I assume you mean "make a profit for the first time in the history of the company"? As of the last published numbers, Upwork was losing millions of dollars each month.

The Upwork business model requires virtually no overhead, and needs very little capital compared to other types of businesses. It's obvious the company has no concept of controlling costs, no concept of efficiency, and it seems like no idea how to run a business!!

If you believe this is a low overhead business, you are either very inexperienced or suffering some sort of delusion. Upwork employs hundreds of people in various capacities--a great many of them spend a great deal of time handholding freelancers who are costing the platform money. I have no idea how much things like server space cost, but then there is also insurance, office space and all of the associated costs, all of the money Upwork gives away under its payment protection services, the $291 Upwork has to cough up every time a freelancer and client can't work things out and go to arbitration--and all of that pales in comparison with the millions of dollars Upwork spends each month drawing clients to the site.

You people (Upwork Leadership) wouldn't survive very long in the manufacturing arena for sure... take a guess on what happens when a manufacturer tries raising it's prices? 

My suggestion: No matter how well you're doing... run your business every day like your loosing your customers, employees, and sales. That's how you stay in business and grow your business.

Control your costs first.

• Where is every dollar going
  • Did it need to be spent?
  • What is the return?
  • Am I over staffed?
  • Are my people's efforts being applied in the right directions?
  • Is my bureaucracy wasting my people's time?

Upwork is trying to control costs. One good way--probably the single best way--to control costs is to cut loose the vast number of dead weight freelancers who pay Upwork $12/month in fees and cost the company several times that in resources. 

The truth is that the return on freelancers who go on about the alleged 20% fee is very, very low...because profitable freelancers only pay the 20% on a tiny fraction of their earnings. Upwork's people's efforts are being applied in what is very likely the right direction for the company...clearing the decks of the people who are taking up time and space and never buy anything more than a 99 cent cup of coffee.

Well, $0.15 is not a large amount to pay for a connect. But I seriously think the $10-20 quick jobs have lost value for me now. Only the smaller freelancers and smaller clients will bear the consequences of this decision. Or maybe they could've set a minimum amount, for which you'd have to pay to apply, that could be a possibility.

Tiffany S,

• By "more profit," I assume you mean "make a profit for the first time in the history of the company"? As of the last published numbers, Upwork was losing millions of dollars each month.

Have you read their financial statement? 

•  Nearly $16 MILLION spent on R&D
  • $20 MILLION spent on sales and marketing
  • Nearly $16 MILLION spent on administrative

This is against a gross profit of $48 million that's ridiculous! No wonder they have losses, THEY BUDGETED IT THAT WAY!

Sure their revenue "may" not have met their target, but when that happens you need to react and reduce your costs accordingly. 

It's not the $0.15 X 6 per bid that bothers me so much, it's that it shouldn't be necessary... why should I have to pay for their mistakes?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Priyanka, 

A freelancer’s account will be suspended if we notice they have submitted proposals for many jobs on our site, but have won very few contracts or had very few earnings. Typically, this means the opportunities on Upwork are not a good match for the freelancer’s skillset. Be assured that we do not take action based on isolated incidents of unsuccessful proposals. Only in the unusual case we find a freelancer has been repeatedly submitting many proposals but not winning jobs (or winning few) we take action.

EDITED: I would like to note that I have edited this post as it does not reflect updated information about Priyanka's question. As Petra has flagged, this is not the case anymore.

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Hi Priyanka, 

A freelancer’s account will be suspended if we notice they have submitted proposals for many jobs on our site, but have won very few contracts or had very few earnings.

Lena said that this is not the case now.

Which is it?

Priyanka S wrote:

Not for not winning enough jobs, according to Lena.

But according to Avery the opposite is the case, so it's better to wait and see which version is correct now.

At any rate, there is little to no point being on a platform where you don't win any jobs.

On the other hand, established freelancers who have a history of winning contracts, never had anything to worry about anyway.

They've done that to me as well, the big problem is we have no recourse!

Don C wrote:

They've done that to me as well, the big problem is we have no recourse!

You can close, or abandon, your account.

Or you can stay, pay the few cents needed to apply on jobs and continue earning good money while thanking Upwork for trying to find a way to trash the deadweight represented by the majority of people who don't earn squat on the platform.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

• You can close, or abandon, your account.

Or you can stay, pay the few cents needed to apply on jobs and continue earning good money while thanking Upwork for trying to find a way to trash the deadweight represented by the majority of people who don't earn squat on the platform.

Rene,

I do earn good money on the platform, and I truly do see the "potential" for Upwork to be something great. What's preventing Upwork from becoming something even better than it is today is the exact attitude you are displaying. 

Like you, it's their arrogant attitude that is holding them back.

What I'm hearing you say is that rather than face core issues like controlling their costs, and managing "deadweight" accounts, it's OK to pass their costs along to their freelancers, and in the process just hoping to loose some of the dead weight? How lazy can you be? 

I've heard whining about Upwork not making a profit, yet they SPENT $16 million on R&D, and ANOTHER $16 million on administrative costs, and somehow that's the freelancer's fault?

Do a little research into LEAN manufacturing and see how the non-silicone valley companies of the world make a profit.

aleena_tech
Community Member

I am not getting projects and I have heard that if I will send more than 2 proposals per day,upwork will block my account. So I want to know the tips to get projects and avoid account suspension. Thanks

will the 60connects i have now be reset to 0 at the start of next month?

Yes, you won't get free connects anymore.

Fine, they went ahead to implement paid connect. What will they do about unverified accounts posting 50% of the jobs. I believe they know that 99% of jobs posted by unverified accounts never gets awarded. Connects spent on those jobs are wasted. I think they should make it impossible for unverified accounts to post jobs on the platform. Any client who is serious about hiring a freelancer wouldn't have any problem verifying his/her account first. Allowing freelancers to waste connects on dead-weight jobs isn't fair. It begs the question: does the system purposely post those dead-weight jobs just to waste peoples' connects and force them to buy more?

Exactly right! 

So many of my own connects get wasted quoting jobs that never get awarded.

Also...  how many jobs do you come across that have no details, requirements, or information of any kind. OR jobs that demand experience and skills and many hours of work but are only willing to pay  $50?

I propose a minimum job cost of $250, and tie the number of $0.15 connects to the value of the job.

• $250 = 1 connect
  • $251 to $500 = 2 connects
  • $501 to $1000 = 3 connects
  • $1001 to $1500 = 4 connects
  • $1501 to $2000 = 5 connects
  • >$2000 = 6 connects

How about jobs that read like a permanent position offers, obviously recruting posts rather actual freelancing jobs.There are more and more job posting that require local people i.e. you must live in this town and meet face-to-face regularly, attend meetings, or work with an on-site team. This should not be allowed at all. If a client want's to hire someone, direct them to **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Upwork community,

Since the upwork have changed the connects and now we have to buy for the connects and 

the number of Connects needed to submit a proposal based on the projected job value has also changed... I've already almost spent almost my 60 connects and I  didn't see any difference, many of the proposals I've spent 6 connects to apply and it ends very quickly, and I have to pay for it.

I'm not getting any good feedback with this change,  it 
just makes completely unsustainable for me as a freelancer.

I would like to hear from other freelancers how this change has been so far for you?

Please let me know,/

Kind regards,

Dante

I am interested to know is there still some cycle when connects would renew or would be added without a freelancer paying for them?

Or is it strictly paid plan only now: you have to pay for connects to apply for jobs?

Hi Anton,

New freelancers will receive 20 free connects to start sending proposals. After this freelancers will need to purchase more connects in order to be able to send proposals. If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members