🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connect refund for jobs that close without in...
Page options
mfarkas
Community Member

Connect refund for jobs that close without invites or interviews?

I've noticed a number of jobs I've applied to end up closing without any invites or interviews being sent out by the poster, and I'm assuming no hires being made. Shouldn't I be refunded Connects in this case? It's like going to a store and buying a drink and having them hand you an empty bottle. I would think these Connects should be auto-refunded in these cases.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

MIchael F wrote:

Shouldn't I be refunded Connects in this case? 

Whether you think that you "should" be or not is pretty irrelevant. What is relevant is that you are not.

MIchael F wrote:

It's like going to a store and buying a drink and having them hand you an empty bottle

It isn't. You got exactly what you paid for: The opportunity to have your proposal delivered to a client. That's it.

It's more like sending 20 letters, and expecting to be refunded the price of the stamps if you didn't get a reply.

Or buying an advert in a newspaper, and expecting a partial refund for everyone who saw the ad and didn't buy something from you.

Or a shop owner tracking you down demanding money because you tried on a pair of boots but didn't buy them.

Or...

Or...

MIchael F wrote:

. I would think these Connects should be auto-refunded in these cases.

You would think wrong.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MIchael,

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
gina-herrera
Community Member

about 90% of jobs on here don't end in hiring, lol

It's frustrating but normal, try not to take it personally - I assume that half the time these people probably don't even login again, or they just want to price-shop and then when they don't like the pricing on qualified individuals, they decide to look elsewhere or can the project because they're not willing to invest. At the end of the day most successful freelancers on here don't waste their time caring about it. I suppose it's possible they could just think that all applicants are not qualified, but if someone is receiving 20 to 50 proposals and they still don't want to hire anyone I find that quite hard to believe that no one is good enough.

Gina H wrote:

about 90% of jobs on here don't end in hiring, lol

It's frustrating but normal, try not to take it personally - I assume that half the time these people probably don't even login again, or they just want to price-shop and then when they don't like the pricing on qualified individuals, they decide to look elsewhere or can the project because they're not willing to invest. At the end of the day most successful freelancers on here don't waste their time caring about it. I suppose it's possible they could just think that all applicants are not qualified, but if someone is receiving 20 to 50 proposals and they still don't want to hire anyone I find that quite hard to believe that no one is good enough.

I hear you, but...if a client receives the first 10 proposals and they are all bad (which, if you think about how people send such bad proposals and think they are good), after the first 10 they may give up. So maybe the 20th proposal was good, but they were turned off before it even got to them, maybe?

True! I never thought of that. I do kind of wish there was more of a stick / carrot methodology to getting clients to actually hire or close out the job, but probably a wasted wish haha.

Do potential clients get anything via email if they don't hire, like a survey asking why they chose not to do so? That could actually provide some valuable statistics...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members