🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connect wars are clients really falling for i...
Page options
77cda6fa
Community Member

Connect wars are clients really falling for it?

So I have noticed on MANY job posts connect boosts 50 or higher.   How is this even fair for those struggling to make it?
Do clients even fall for it or is it just a pain bidding war now? I have the skills but not alot of money to spend on connects sadly this has been a thing since the bidding war has started.. IT think it gives an unfair advantage.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In my opinion, good clients (or at least, the ones I'm interested in working with) will prioritize talent and in many cases even go through the trouble of going through most of the decent-looking proposals, even if it takes them a few days.

If a client is only willing to look at the first four proposals that pop up in their inbox, that's probably someone with a personality that's not compatible with mine. Of course, there are also cases where clients just get frustrated after reading 10 or 20 ai-generated proposals from freelancers that didn't even read the job description.

Personally, I would like it if Upwork got rid of the boosting system but tripled the price of connects. I think that way they'd still make a lot of money out of it, but the high cost would make most freelancers think carefully before applying for a job.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
d9fc6d8d
Community Member

It doesn't have to be fair. I hate the bidding system, but Upwork has no obligation to provide you with a "fair" marketplace. It's a private company.

I don't boost any of my proposals and, even though I had a very slow Winter, I've landed quite a few jobs (15+) in the past couple of months. I just worked on my profile and proposals.

I have a feeling that a lot of clients just skip the boosted proposals in the same way I skip Google's ads on top of the search page. I know I would.

I have too Just idk you see posts just a couple of mins old and already they are slammed with connects you got to wonder if some clients even bother with the boosts or really look for people with tallents?

In my opinion, good clients (or at least, the ones I'm interested in working with) will prioritize talent and in many cases even go through the trouble of going through most of the decent-looking proposals, even if it takes them a few days.

If a client is only willing to look at the first four proposals that pop up in their inbox, that's probably someone with a personality that's not compatible with mine. Of course, there are also cases where clients just get frustrated after reading 10 or 20 ai-generated proposals from freelancers that didn't even read the job description.

Personally, I would like it if Upwork got rid of the boosting system but tripled the price of connects. I think that way they'd still make a lot of money out of it, but the high cost would make most freelancers think carefully before applying for a job.

As a client I would look at quality over those trying to out bid others.  I just think over all the connect bidding is just a pointless money grab from upwork.    I can only imagine the crazyness it must be to filture through nonsense and find the right fit.  

tlsanders
Community Member

Do you think an accountant who has sufficient funds to advertise in the local media has an unfair advantage over those who do not? That a retail store owner who can afford a prime location has an unfair advantage over one who is limited to cheaper, less visible locations? That's how business works--the ability and willingness to invest in your business offers an advantage.

So those that need employment and might not have enough funds to buy large ammounts of connects are made to suffer because people with money are "privlaged?"  Funny thought upwork was supposed to be a employment site for everyone not just the privlaged with extra money to blow.   This is why upwork is slowly loosing popularity with freelancers.  I am not the only one fed up with this there is quite a large chat going on about this on another site where people have left for this exact reason.      I would be all for a monthly fee to be able to submit my app for jobs instead of the connect nonsense.  

I see your confusion.

Upwork is not an employment site.

And it is definitely not for everyone.

It is a for-profit corporation (and one that is currently losing money). Like any for-profit business, it serves those it is profitable for it to serve. 

If you consider investing in growing your business "blowing" money, you may not be well suited to be self-employed. 

How much would you be willing to pay as a monthly fee? 

I would also favor that model, though I think it should come with a hard limit on the number of proposals one can send in a month. Perhaps $100/month for up to 20 proposals. 

But, I'll bet you're going to tell me that's not fair.

If it is a for profit company then they should charge a monthly fee for freelancers and CHARGE clients to post to weed out the scammers.    This connect stuff is nonsense I have a few friends who from time to time hire people on here. They ignore people who boost with connects and only go for the ones that have legit and verifiable employment as well as good cover letters and resumes.       I would work for them however the type of work they do is out of my skill set. 
And this nonsense that upwork is not for everyone is a rude and uncalled for response. Any for profit bussiness that lets people come on their platform for employment is for EVERYONE last time I checked.

bilsim
Community Member

Yes, but we don't know who exactely boosts. It may be highly skilled people to compete with other highly skilled people, or it can be very low skilled people with extra connects and magical thinking.

I personally never boost because the boosting system lacks transparency.

As a consumer, I prefer avoiding products and services at high-traffic locations and with expensive marketing because they are almost always of low quality. I prefer working with clients who have the same mindset.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members