🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects Issue
Page options
livewidmusic
Community Member

Connects Issue

Hello there, I am a freelancer trying to make some money amidst this current situation of the lockdown. In midst of this, I started searching jobs on upwork. When I was asked to purchase connects in order to submit my proposals, I was already surprised and sad as to having finding money to purchase them and even in doing so, I was given an information pop-up that the connects would be returned if you are not hired for the job, recently I had submitted 2 connects for a job and I was not hired. I was expecting the 2 connects in return and with my conversation with the upwork bot, I was told that I would get the connects back only if the client closes the job or if they don't hire anybody at all (Really?). I am extremely disappointed with the misinformation you have provided and for confusing me. Are you expecting me to submit connects for each proposal by purchasing every time? I find it insensible absolutely. Upwork already takes a percentage cut for the price we are charged for our every job here. I need my 2 connects back or else I am deleting my upwork account.

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member


Sayyed H wrote:

I was given an information pop-up that the connects would be returned if you are not hired for the job, 


That is NOT what the pop up say at all.

 

nobody hired.png

 


Sayyed H wrote:

I was told that I would get the connects back only if the client closes the job or if they don't hire anybody at all (Really?). 


Yes. Really

 


Sayyed H wrote:

Are you expecting me to submit connects for each proposal by purchasing every time? I


Yes.

 


Sayyed H wrote:

I need my 2 connects back or else I am deleting my upwork account.


You are not getting the 2 connects back if the client hired someone else. So that leaves "deleting your Upwork account"

Thanks a lot for the prompt response.Unfortunately I could not get a screenshot when I got my pop up message. I only got a message "Refunded if client doesn't hire", the screenshot you have shown here has another "beta" pop up window which was not shown to me unfortunately. If that was shown to me, I would not purchase it at the first place therefore you do not answer my question. Sorry.

Without having a clarity in my question, I don't think I need to delete my account. Moreover I had submitted for two more proposals and I need to know its result as well. 

 


Sayyed H wrote:

 

Without having a clarity in my question, I don't think I need to delete my account. Moreover I had submitted for two more proposals and I need to know its result as well. 


It's you who said that you will delete your account if you don't get your connects back.

You do not get your connects back.

 

What you do with your account is up to you, obviously. Feel free to buy connects and keep applying.

Hello there, I am looking for a solution for my enquiry. With all due respect, I am not here to go round my question over and over again. I know what I have penned down. If possible please send me a link or an email of an upwork official, to whom I can write this issue to.

 

Thanks.


Sayyed H wrote:

Hello there, I am looking for a solution for my enquiry.

 


What is your enquiry? If it is whether you get your connects back, the answer is "No"

 

Here is what you saw: "Refunded if client doesn't hire"

 

reunded if client doesn't hire.png

 

It does not say "Refunded if client doesn't hire YOU!"

It's if the client doesn't hire anybody, at all.

 

When you click on the blue dot you get the more detailed explanation.

 


Sayyed H wrote:

an email of an upwork official, to whom I can write this issue to.

 


So you want to waste even more time just to be told the same thing over and over again? All for the sake of 2 connects?


Seriously?

 

 

Hello there, Thank you for the reply. Definitely understand what you are trying to say.

 

"Refunded if client does not hire" - How am I supposed to know that it was ONLY meant for ALL! and why can't I think It was meant only for ME!??

 

I am not wasting my time. I am asking a question for the 2 connects I have purchased spenting my hard earned money, trying to find a job here, And YES it matters.

 

 

Hi Sayyed,

 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far.

 

Please note that Connects are refunded when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

 

You can check the official announcement in this Community thread for that test in which Connects are returned on contracts that don't hire anyone and have gone dormant.

 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Sayyed. The general principle on Upwork is that you pay (in connects) to submit a proposal. Upwork has, for some reason, decided to refund connects in certain limited circumstances.  But that should be considered a special case and not the norm. 

I 100% agree that it is AMBIGUOUS. OF COURSE people would interpret "doesn't hire" as meaning "doesn't hire you". It is literally grammatically and pragmatically ambiguous. I am a copyeditor with a degree in linguistic anthropology and training in discourse analysis. The referent established in the context is "the freelancer" because it is the freelancer's connects we are talking about. Sayyed is correct. 


Aaron T wrote:

I 100% agree that it is AMBIGUOUS. OF COURSE people would interpret "doesn't hire" as meaning "doesn't hire you". It is literally grammatically and pragmatically ambiguous. I am a copyeditor with a degree in linguistic anthropology and training in discourse analysis. The referent established in the context is "the freelancer" because it is the freelancer's connects we are talking about. Sayyed is correct. 


That sounds like a facinating skillset for a copyeditor. Upwork should hire you! Pronto!

 

Also, that info is indeed ambigous, but lately, that has been the message from Upwork in general...lots of ambigous info going around.


Aaron T wrote:

I 100% agree that it is AMBIGUOUS. OF COURSE people would interpret "doesn't hire" as meaning "doesn't hire you". It is literally grammatically and pragmatically ambiguous. I am a copyeditor with a degree in linguistic anthropology and training in discourse analysis. The referent established in the context is "the freelancer" because it is the freelancer's connects we are talking about. Sayyed is correct. 


Interesting. I have no degree in linguistic anthropology, yet I had no trouble understanding the meaning. At any rate, this was only a test and it has now ended, so that should put an end to the confusion.

 


Aaron T wrote:

I 100% agree that it is AMBIGUOUS. OF COURSE


Why are you getting all hot under the collar and shouty over something that's long been discontinued and on a 2 months dead thread?

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths