🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Connects not back yet after a job be clos...
Page options
hoverlyn
Community Member

Connects

Why connects didn't refund when the job post is closed or expired? even the client did not hire anyone.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

573 REPLIES 573

Hello,

Usually, when I got notifications that a job was closed, my connections were back. However, recently I received two or more notifications of this kind but connects aren't returned. I wonder whether Upwork changed the policies or something is wrong particularly with my account?

Thanks!

Hi Nato,

I would like to confirm that nothing has changed. Please note that Connects are refunded only when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

My 15 jobs are closed but only one job connects are returned back. What is the reason? 

petra_r
Community Member

Saddam H wrote:

My 15 jobs are closed but only one job connects are returned back. What is the reason? 

You only get connects back if the client closes the job post proactively without hiring anyone, or if Upwork takes the job post down because it violates the terms of service. (In other words, rarely).

You do NOT get the connects back if a job post expires or the job post is closed when someone was hired.

Hi Saddam,

One of our team members already reached out to you directly via this support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Actually, earlier whenever any proposal I submitted is closed or has expired due to any reason I used to get the connects used in those proposals back but for last few proposals I haven't received any connects back even I got the same notification from upwork too that this proposal is closed or expired.

Hi Sourab,

We will return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Please check your Reports > Connects History to see any returned Connects.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Upwork friends,

Why my connect not came back yet after the job which I submitted the proposal is closed?

Thanks,

-Dinh.

If I remember correctly, connects are only returned if the job expires without the client ever touching it. If they interview anyone at all, then you don't get those connects back, even if it later expires or they close it.

Thanks Michael.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dinh, 

Connects are returned only when the job without hire is cancelled either by the client or by Upwork team. If the job has automatically expired after 30 days of inactivity, connects are not returned. You can find more information here.

~ Avery
Upwork
jinhduong
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thank for your clarification.  Totally got it.

Dinh.

Hi Upwork community,

I'm reaching you once again. I submitted proposal daily basis but I have seen that there are lots clients have posted job daily but they haven't hired anyone and after a month job is closed or archived. So, my question is that the proposal that I've submitted to the clients but they didn't hire anyone. Will I get my connect back for those clients who have not hired anyone yet but the job is closed after a month?

For  an example: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

The above link shows that the client posted a job as per his/her requirement and we submitted a proposal but the client didn't hire anyone as per dashboard shows that he/she took one interview but the job is closed. 

Will I get my connect back?

Mintu M wrote:

Will I get my connect back for those clients who have not hired anyone yet but the job is closed after a month?

No.

You only get them back if the client proactively closes the job post without having hired anyone or Upwork closes it down because of a violation of the terms of service

Thanks for your response @Petra.

If the job is closed without having hired anyone? 

Mintu M wrote:

If the job is closed without having hired anyone? 

I've already answered that.

If a job post expires without a hire you do not get your connects back.

I think this is not a solution, we invested money to buy connect for sending the proposal but after a month the job is expired without having hired anyone. I think those connect should return.

Mintu M wrote:

I think this is not a solution. 

It is what it is.

Consider Connects as non-returnable tokens. If you send a letter and get no response, you don't get the stamp refunded, either. Just send the proposals and forget about the connects. They are your (small) cost of doing business.

I agree with this. This needs to be refunded as its ethical to do so

I'm curious as to why Upwork allows jobs to remain open for more than 14 days (just an example I found this morning) without the poster having viewed them. For this particular job, the job notes also indicated that there was one person hired. The project was very simple (budgetted for $30). I could have completed it in 2 hours. If I were to have applied for the job this morning and spent 2 Connects, would I ever get them back?

It seems to me that there should be a time period before the job is automatically closed, or it is closed once the adequate number of hires are made. As a new comer to Upwork, I'm sure I have spent some money on jobs that were already complete. It seems akin to buying used, losing lottery tickets.

Freelancers get their connects back AUTOMATICALLY if Upwork itself removes a job posting from the Forum (such as because the job posting violates Upwork ToS)...

OR if the client closes the job posting without hiring anybody.

Valeria wrote:

"Connects are only returned when the job is cancelled by the client or Upwork team without a hire. While some clients take time to hire on their jobs and often come back to review candidates weeks after they posted a job, postings with no activity for more than 30 days are automatically closed."

Thank you so much for the information. To clarify, if the client hires a freelancer on day 2 after the posting; never cancels the posting; and then I submit a proposal on day 23, and don't get hired, I will lose my Connects. Is this correct?       

Being new to Upwork, I'm trying to understand if I need to also consider how long it is between the client's viewings, to decide whether I should submit a proposal. Once a person makes a hire for a project, I think they might put it out of their mind and not go back to cancel it. I just don't want to watse Connects (aka $'s). 

Thank you again for you input!

Hi I am new here.

Will I get my connects back if I decide to withdraw from a job proposal after,3-4 days?

Thank you

Hi Anurag, 

I would like to confirm that withdrawing proposals will not return your Connects. We only return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello Avery, let me use this topic and ask my question since you've been replying actively.

So, I've noticed there are some jobs marked as "Connects are refundable" and some don't. Does it mean that I won't get my connects back if that specific job posting expires or closes withouth any action taken by a client?

I think freelancers should get their connects refunded on literally every job posting that hasn't had any activity, was closed by a client, ended with just interviews and nothing more (free consultations are a bummer), etc. Thoughts anyone?

Hi Alena,

I would like to confirm that Connects are refunded only when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

how to get free connects help me i am new on upwork

Ahsan A wrote:

how to get free connects help me i am new on upwork

You get 20 free ones when your account is approved.

Hi Ahsan,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have already used up the free connects you were given when you signed up. To submit proposals, you will need to purchase connects. This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. To see the options available to you, click here.

~ Joanne
Upwork

I submitted my proposal at a wrong job of 6 connects. How can I get my connects back? as no one has been hired on that job yet. I am a new freelancer. your little support can go a long way during this pandemic. Thanks!

Hi Ahsan,

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service

~ Joanne
Upwork

Exactly, that's completely unfair if they don't give connects back when the client does not accept our proposal.

Completely agreed. Besides upwork takes away their share as commission I feel connects should be free

yes, you will get your connects after the job is completed 

Fad D wrote:

yes, you will get your connects after the job is completed 

No, you do not get connects back after a job is completed. You only get connects back if Upwork closes a job due to a TOS violation or if the client closes it without hiring. 

ah298
Community Member

thanks to gide me

Will I get my connects back?
Because recently, one of my proposals was archived, and the client hires no one.

Hi Nabila,

Connects are refunded only when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. As the job post in question expired, Connects are not refunded.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Joseph B wrote:

I'm curious as to why Upwork allows jobs to remain open for more than 14 days (just an example I found this morning) without the poster having viewed them. For this particular job, the job notes also indicated that there was one person hired. The project was very simple (budgetted for $30). I could have completed it in 2 hours. If I were to have applied for the job this morning and spent 2 Connects, would I ever get them back?

It seems to me that there should be a time period before the job is automatically closed, or it is closed once the adequate number of hires are made. As a new comer to Upwork, I'm sure I have spent some money on jobs that were already complete. It seems akin to buying used, losing lottery tickets.

No, you have not spent money on complete jobs.

If somebody is hired on a job, you will see that in the lower part of the job posting. It would be unwise to apply to that job unless the client seeks to hire more than 1 person. Some clients leave the job posting open at this point, others close it, which makes it disappear from the open jobs list. Some clients never hire and abandon their posting, meaning that upwork will close it after 30 days of inactivity. 

Hi Upwork team,

please kindly consider returning Connects back to freelancers if a job posting expires. It's not fault on the freelancer part that a client has advertised a job, not hired anybody and the job expired. Why would you charge freelancers for this?

Many thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths