🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Job Expired
Page options
hoverlyn
Community Member

Connects

Why connects didn't refund when the job post is closed or expired? even the client did not hire anyone.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

573 REPLIES 573

Hello everyone

I think Upwork should return our connects when clients do not hire anyone for their job posting.

in the current situation Upwork just return connect when clients close their job themselves.

It is not fair because for newly-joined freelancers hiring in the first job is difficult and we face a great number of job posting which are not followed anymore by their clients and not closing.

and as we know this "fake job postings"  is very common in small clients who are the main clients for new freelancers. so they lost most of their connects for nothing. it is about more than 70 percent of proposals in the beginning.

Upwork should encourage newly-joined freelancers with revising the procedure of returning the connect in the begining.

Thanks

Yes,,, I'm agree with you... I'm also new here in this marketplace.

Hi Majid and Razu,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that we return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Since I am a newer, these connects were improtant for me. The clients did not hire anyone, I spend 10 more conncets on these projects, which are wasteful. 

Connects allow you to send proposals for a job - and that's exactly what you've been allowed to do with them.  

If you want to apply for more jobs then you can buy more connects if you've run out. 

Hi Feng,

Connects are only refunded when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. If the job post expires, you won't get the Connects back.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you so much for the information. It will be good for every freelancers if we get a solution of this problem

Hey there, I have received an email that a job that I have submitted a proposal to was in violations of Upwork's terms and conditions. 

Since this won't have a negative effect on my profile, it still seems unfair that my connections are wasted on a job that was posted by a fraudulent account. 

Furthermore, I have noticed that in a lot of jobs, the chat does not even open then I receive a message that the job has been closed or expired but does not notify that someone was hired for the project/position. 

Is it possible that the connects spent on such proposals be reimbursed in my account? 

I will appreciate your assistance in this matter. Thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Saif,

I’ve checked and Connects were already refunded to you as the job has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. You can check this under your Connect History

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello, I just wanna ask something about my upwork connects. I had 40 connects and I've submitted multiple proposals, until my connects got down to 33 connects. I did not submit proposals when it got to 33. Then after a while, maybe a day, it increased up to 37. I would like to know how that happened. Plus, what are the ways you could get back connect? Like would you get back your connect when you withdraw your proposal?

Hi Ryan

I would be happy to help. Please know that you can find more information about the Connects on your Connects history page. I would like to clarify that we return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here. You will not receive a refund if you withdraw the proposal. 

Additionally, you may also want to check this page for more information about Connects refunds for Boosted proposals. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you Nikola, this has been really helpful.

What if a Submitted a Proposal on a job and the Client is not hiring anyone?

Do I get my Connects Refunded? If yes when?

Hi Adil,

Your credit got refunded if that job is deleted by upwork moderators or canceled by the client itself.

Regards

Hi Adil,

I would like to clarify that we return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hie 2 jobs were cancelled on my account but connects are not showing up and also not receiving notifications. Can you please assist?

Hi Predict,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like you already received Connects refund for cancelled jobs. You can find more information on your Connects History page

If you’re having issues receiving notifications, please check the troubleshooting tips shared in this help article. Let us know if the issue still persists. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Connects are not showing after job has been cancelled, please assist?

Hi Predict,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the job posts you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello,

If I apply on a particular job and after that the employer does not respond, in this case if I withdraw my proposal, wether my contratcts will be reversed?

Please guide me.

No.

99% of the proposals i have sent are still in idle without any response..is it possible to cancel them and revert connects to bid fresh jobs

SENTHIL MURUGAN S wrote:

is it possible to cancel them and revert connects to bid fresh jobs

No. You don't get them back if clients don't respond. You only get them back if clients cancel the job post without hiring and when Upwork take them down because they were violations of the terms of service.

If you withdraw them or they expire due to inactivity, you don't get them back.

Hi Petra

Thanks for the quick response..

My suggestion is that you can review the unresponsive clients status & once they hired allow them to discharge other proposals which may help  to get back connects which originally bought , for reusing.....

I would like to draw the attention of Upwork Support that in the undermentioned cases the connects that I used for sending proposals have not been refunded even though I got notifications that they have been expired without any hiring of freelancers. 

It would be most helpful for me as a new freelancer to continue sending new proposals if such connects involving expired/canceled jobs are returned. 

Cases ( as I find chronologically from my Notification Alerts ) which I have felt I should get the connect refunds due to the above reasons :

1. November 26: Proofread & optimize our landing page copy

2. November 16: Looking for Editor/Proofreader 

3. November 5:Minimalist book edit and review

4. October 14: Grammar and Structure Clean-up

5. October 9:  Romance Editor needed for 50000 Word Book 

6. September 20: Edit a small document for spelling and grammar

This is my assessment and I may be wrong. Would request Upwork Support to help me, please. 

Thank you and best regards 

Hi Suranjit,

If a project is canceled by the client before a contract is made, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned. However, please note that this does not apply to expired job posts.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello Andrea,

Thank you for the info. 

You don't get connects back when a job posting expires. 

Suranjit D wrote:

the connects that I used for sending proposals have not been refunded even though I got notifications that they have been expired without any hiring of freelancers.  

**Edited for Community Guidelines** You do not get connects back when a job post expires. ONLY if the client proactively closes the job post without hiring or when Upwork takes the job post down for a violation of the terms of service.

Suranjit D wrote: 

It would be most helpful for me as a new freelancer to continue sending new proposals

You may buy connects when you have run out.

Hello, I have a query; Before the clients who responded to me, I returned 10 connections even if the client did not hire me. A few days ago a client answered me and I have not seen these connections. Has he changed something? I did not receive the 10 a month either. Please need info

Hi Daniel,

If you are referring to when Connects are refunded, you might want to read the following to learn more:

• If a project is canceled by the client before a contract is made, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned. This does not apply to expired job posts.
  • If we remove a project’s post because we believe it violates our Terms of Service, Connects you used on that proposal will be returned.

You can also earn Connects in several ways: 

• Register for the first time. You’ll receive 40 Connects to get started. When you complete the Upwork Readiness Test, you’ll receive another 40 Connects — that's 80 FREE Connects!
  • Win an interview. When you submit a proposal to a client, win an interview, and reply, you’ll get a bonus of 10 Connects. You can earn up to 50 Connects every seven days.
  • Complete an Upwork Skill Certification. If you earn an Upwork Skill Certification, you’ll enjoy a one-time Connects bonus.
  • Earn a badge. If you qualify for an Upwork Talent Badge, you may receive bonus Connects with it!

Please read this one here and this one for more information:

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi All, I have observed that many proposals are closed down by the clients without hiring the candidates. The candidate ends up loosing the connects. How to stay away from such job posts.

Hi Ashwini,

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information hereSubmitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business.

If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. In this situation, we continue to encourage the client to hire or close the job, but ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello Upwork Team,
Hope you all are doing well.
I have a question? when someone spend money and buy connects or have connecs and use them for applying job and the job is closed or may be exired then why the connects are not reurned?
As the freelancer is spending it with in an honest way to get job but the client is not getting to it or might not be serious about the job he posted but the freelancer is in loss as he has spent his connect to get job and has nothing in hand just a message the job you submitted is closed or expired.:(.
There should be return of connects so the freelancer an stay to the platform and feel free to work here.
Thankyou.

petra_r
Community Member

Zareen H wrote:

Hello Upwork Team,
Hope you all are doing well.
I have a question? when someone spend money and buy connects or have connecs and use them for applying job and the job is closed or may be exired then why the connects are not reurned?

When you send a letter through the post and don't get a reply, do you get your stamps back?

When you phone around to try and find a job, do you get part of your phone bill refunded if you don't get hired?

When you put an advert in a newspaper and don't get a result, will the newspaper refund your money?

Zareen H wrote:

As the freelancer is spending it with in an honest way to get job.

You don't spend connects to get a job. You spend connects to apply. That's all.

Zareen H wrote:

There should be return of connects so the freelancer an stay to the platform

You can stay on the platform and apply for jobs without getting connects back. All you have to do is buy more when you have run out.

zeee82
Community Member

Well i dont completely agree what you are explaining me.
When you buy something and need any cahnges or any damage in it you will be willing to get you money back and definatly if you wont get it back then you would complain or get frustrated.
Similarly with out any rude attitude giving to a question you should respect someones concern and help them out thats wht you are hired for the job.
You are telling one should get buyng and waste them fo no reason as the clinet didnt close the job or the time has expired.So tell me whats the freelancers fault?
His fault is that he has applied for getting job an getting the closed or expired mesage after spending connects and nothing in hand.... 

You will always have cost of doing business, that's the nature of owning a business. Do you ask your internet provider for your money back when you haven't worked in a week? Do you ask the electricity company for money back?

zeee82
Community Member

why you all are givig such an example which is not implemented here..Doing business is a seperate thing.As you are talking about the business so you already deduct 23% of the amount from the client then what is the logic of such examples related to conects.
Simple is that there is no reason to do such things.Its just for justifying yourself nothing else.
Anyways..I dont need to waste more of time and energy in such explanations.
Regards.

Hi Zareen,

I would like to clarify that we return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. You can find more information here.

Please know that submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business. If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. In this situation, we continue to encourage the client to hire or close the job, but ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

~ Nikola
Upwork
zeee82
Community Member

Well i have read the article.But i was asking a question that why is that so.Its a loss for the freelancer.
Anyways.Thankyou for your time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths