Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Connects System Seems Broken

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
21 of 37
And shorter projects tend to mean less money per client which we know Upwork is moving away from smaller grossing projects. It's fine that you refer shorter gigs, but we know Upwork is gearing policies to discourage those, which is why the new connect system has a deeper effect on you.
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
22 of 37

Anna T wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

Matt K wrote:


Everyone used to get 60 free connects. It was a horrible spam fest and paid connects were introduced to cut back on that (as you say you understand). Most of the freelancers Upwork most wants to keep happy and working using a very small number of connects each month--many use none at all. 



The inference here is that using connects somehow makes you less of a priority; less successful on this platform.

 

The freelancers Upwork most wants to keep are those that are earning money. I mean, it can’t be any simpler than that. This idea that freelancers who use very little or no connects really needs to stop. Freelancers who use little to no connects are not any better than those who do it’s just a matter of which business model we choose.

 

I'm sorry that you've taken this so personally, but the fact is that Upwork has explicitly said in multiple contexts that it has a strong preference for long-term, higher-dollar freelancer/client relationships over numerous smaller jobs. 

 

The only possible way to conclude that your angry assertion that Upwork is just as interested in freelancers who pursue tons of small jobs as those who maintain long-term relationships and do large, high-value projects is accurate is to assume that for some reason Upwork has lied to us, investors, shareholders, and the press about its goals and preferences.


 

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
23 of 37

I often see new clients posting a job and then posting another job a little later, which is actually just a revised version of the first post.

 

I saw a case of this today. The interesting thing was that the client changed the job from Intermediate to Expert, and the number of connects went DOWN, from 4 to 2. Both were hourly, less than 30 hrs/week, less than a month. Both have 5-10 proposals. Apart from small changes in the description, the only differences I can see are...

 

1. The Intermediate job had a rate range of $22-$35. The expert job had no range.

 

2. They had different job category and skills. This was probably the significant difference.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
24 of 37

Matt K wrote:

Tiffany - I'm just using their posting's info.  I've done 382 jobs on UpWork, all writing, and it's pretty normal for me to bid on the job as an hourly and then ask them to switch it to flat-rate before I accept.  I could post the job links, but that seems rude.  One flatly states it's a one-time announcement, hourly, 3-6 months. 

 

This doesn't really reflect what you initially claimed, though, which was that the clients were posting fixed-rate jobs as hourly and using the hourly rate as their fixed-price budget. I also frequently ask clients who have posted jobs as hourly to switch to a fixed-price contract, but never with any relationship between their posted hourly rate and the price I quote. 


I've never seen info about the number of connects being dynamic in the FAQ/rules explaining how connects work - https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Connects-Change-Rollout-Update-and-Frequently-Asked-Qu...  

If jobs with more bids keep increasing in the connects needed to bid, that would mean UpWork has an incentive to allow Clients to post ridiculously high budgets and timelines - because higher budgets = more bids = more connects needing to be purchased by Freelancers.... 

No, you're mixing two different things: higher budgets automatically result in higher connect requirements--unless few freelancers bid, and then the amount required may be lowered. Conversely, if a low-budget job gets a huge number of proposals, the number of proposals required to bid on it may increase.

 

The idea that Upwork makes decisions about job postings based on the ability to draw in an extra $10 in connects versus the likelihood that a freelancer will land the job, build a long-term relationship with the client and pay Upwork hundreds or thousands of dollars in fees seems pretty silly.


 

Active Member
Matt K Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
25 of 37

People's philosphies and strategies for applying to jobs aside - does UpWork increase the connects required with an increase of applications?  Where is that policy written?  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
26 of 37

I can't think of a single reason why a client should ever need or want to think about the connects system.

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
27 of 37

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I can't think of a single reason why a client should ever need or want to think about the connects system.


YUP. 

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
28 of 37

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I can't think of a single reason why a client should ever need or want to think about the connects system.


What if a client isn't receiving quality proposals and one of the reasons is because the # of connects is deterring qualified freelancers from applying?  If the client knew by changing one field from 3-6 months or 6+ months to a one-time project (a more accurate timeline) would reduce the number of connects from 6 to 4, wouldn't they do it? 

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
29 of 37

Robin H wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

I can't think of a single reason why a client should ever need or want to think about the connects system.


What if a client isn't receiving quality proposals and one of the reasons is because the # of connects is deterring qualified freelancers from applying?  If the client knew by changing one field from 3-6 months or 6+ months to a one-time project (a more accurate timeline) would reduce the number of connects from 6 to 4, wouldn't they do it? 


Good freelancers aren't deterred from applying for six-connect projects, as long as the budget is reasonable. I've certainly never read a project description and thought to myself, "If only it cost 30 cents less to apply for this, I'd be all over it." From what I've seen, high-quality projects are still getting 20-50 bids within an hour of being posted.

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
30 of 37
I consider myself a “good freelancer” and I think twice before I apply to jobs costing 6 connects. Maybe I am in the minority then...
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS