cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects! Use Them to Meet Incompetent Business Managers!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
1 of 5

Here's a major problem with this new "Connects" implementation that is hurting (or will hurt) all freelancers at some point or another. 

A number of the jobs I apply to I later come fo find have incompetent business managers. Of course, you don't find that out until you speak with them. Sure, they advertised that they wanted a press release. When you chat with them though you come to find out that not only do they want a press release, but they want it published in Forbes and Times Magazine. Oh yeah, "I want my picture on the cover too". Wups .. there goes 2 connects!

So what this new "Connects" deal does is:

1. Practically limits me to applying to 1 job per day / 30 per month

2. Reduces the possibility of me attracting the right clients due to the mere, and unsatisfactory, volume of applications I can now submit - without paying $1. For another application? Really??  To come across more incompetent business managers???

Frankly, the greed oDesk is exhibiting is absurd. Grow your business on attracting clients and maintain the 10% across the board fee. That is fair and reasonable.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Octavian Valentin A Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
2 of 5

I agree with you Jon.

Some "clients" are incompetent ... I am doing search engine optimization / marketing here and some of them understand that they can't reach the top page / result so fast for the simple reason that "WE ARE NOT ALONE" - competition that is ... oDesk should work on attracting new clients or slowly they will loose all the quality freelancers in here ... 10% would do - or at least they should increase the quota for the $10/month pack .... or as I said in a previous thread, they should make the clients pay as well to post a job - a true company would pay a few bucks for that ...

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 5

@Octavian Valentin A wrote:

as I said in a previous thread, they should make the clients pay as well to post a job - a true company would pay a few bucks for that ...

That's not likely to happen when oDesk permits clients that haven't verified a payment method to post jobs.

Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
4 of 5

'Octavian Valentin A wrote: "oDesk should work on attracting new clients or slowly they will loose all the quality freelancers in here ... 10% would do - or at least they should increase the quota for the $10/month pack .... or as I said in a previous thread, they should make the clients pay as well to post a job - a true company would pay a few bucks for that ..."

Octavian, I think that implementing anything above and beyond the 10% oDesk gets from of each and every job is simply corrupt. News report after news report talks about the exponential growth that companies like oDesk are experiencing.

"Businesses spent $941 million hiring online via Elance and oDesk  in 2014 and are increasingly relying on building teams of distributed professionals and hiring flexibly as part of their strategy," REF: http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/work-is-no-longer-place-elance-odesk-2014-reports-2015-pred...

To all of a sudden implement a system that double charges the Freelancer (10% of every job + job apps beyond 30)?? In a completely bullish market where nearly a billion dollars is already being made in the business??? Then top it all off with, as I started with, the fact that there are so many reasons the Connects you use can land you on many a worthless job offer, ones that only had the outward appearance of a legitimate offer....And yeah...Unfortunately, I come across them often. If I add all that up, quite frankly, "Connects" sound like a scam.

Highlighted
Priyanka C Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
5 of 5

I Agree with you Jon. 

After ODesk "Connects " system we are not also getting projects for my team . 

We are purchasing Connects every week and Odesk is earning in two ways 

Odesk getting paid on connects system as well as on 10% commission on project billing or Fixed price etc.

This is not good place to work. It was good working conditions till 2013 , But After Elance and ODesk mearged it becomes worst . 

They are closing accounts , Taking accounts under review for long months period  etc. 

Need to find other way to grow buisness .. 

Gary Swart was nice . 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS