Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects & Support Problems

dcc1784
Daniel C Member Since: Oct 9, 2015
1 of 13

Hi Community,

Maybe someone can help here or put two "connects/cents" in on the topic. Today I ran out of connects on the Free plan with two more days till the monthly renewal. A client contacted me off site this morning and says "urgently need you, apply for this job" with a link. Well, I'm still new and didn't think about the invite feature so I jump on to apply and can't. Needed more connects anyways so I chose to upgrade my membership. Afterwards, I was only issued 66 connects and not the 70 that it states.

connects.jpg

Support has not sent a response on the matter in 12 hours but the ticket keeps showing the recent activity time being updated.

Aweek and a half ago I had another issue. So I've been active on upwork for 3 weeks. Started getting jobs my first week. Nothing crazy but every one completed has left 5 star feedback and had absolutely no issues. Then last week, I received an email from upwork stating that they wanted to help me since I was new and were making me part of the rising talent program. This would include a profile badge and a free additional 30 connects within 24 hours.

risingtalent.jpg

The next day, I go to my profile and the badge is there but no extra connects awarded. No biggie... Then another day passes and I get a second email from upwork stating that they are temporarily removing me from the rising talent program. The email states what is required to be part of the program and I've met all the requirements so I don't understand why they are kicking me out two days later.

risetalentdeny.jpg

I contacted support via live chat and after waiting over an hour I'm told that I was never part of nor offered to be in the rising talent program. Why did I get the badge... Why did I get the emails? I sent the screenshots and she says that she will forward my ticket to the "proper department". That was a week and a half ago with no updates on that ticket since.

I called the phone number on the contact us page in California to see if I could get some kind of solution to these issues. It actually had a customer service menu which was surprising. It puts me on hold with a robo voice repeating every min or so... "You are #1 and have been on hold for... minutes. A customer service agent will be with you shortly". That went on for 20 minutes and then it says "All of our agents are too busy assisting other callers, please go to our support center and open a ticket for a fast response to your problem". Ha!

Why is it that a business with full access to the worlds biggest population of freelancers and outsourcers... A company that takes a slice of 10% off of thousands of jobs a day... Doesn't have a better/faster support system with more agents. I also signed up with the freelancer site at the same time and have zero complaints about them. Plus there 10% fee that they take is maxed at no more than $5 with relatively close pricing on bids. I think at this point I'm going to cancel my membership, do a paypal dispute to get my money back for the incorrect connects and move on to somewhere that actually looks out for the people who put money in their pocket.

Sorry for the rant... I began this topic looking for help. Like with the phone system earlier... It kept saying that I was #1 but in the end I was abandoned. You can't get a bigger cosmic sign then that!

Cheers,

Daniel C.

snette
Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
2 of 13

I have no idea about the Membership issue but a week ago I also got the "Rising Talent" Mail.

One day later I got a new mail "Welcome back to the Rising Talent program" - Not sure how I even left it within that day. Anyways, I also had to open a ticket and after 1-2 days I got the 30 connects to my account. 

I woud guess that becoming a top rated freelancer getting your JSS canceled your rising talent status before you even got the 30 connects.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 13

Sebastian N wrote:ticket and after 1-2 days I got the 30 connects to my account. 

I woud guess that becoming a top rated freelancer canceled your rising talent status before you even got the 30 connects.

Where do you see Top rated?

snette
Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
4 of 13

Oops, sorry, I meant JSS. I will have to edit that. Thank you.

(That's what I meant from the Rising Talent Badge)

"This freelancer has already demonstrated strong performance but doesn’t have enough work history to earn a Job Success score"

petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 13

@Daniel C wrote:

Afterwards, I was only issued 66 connects and not the 70 that it states.

connects.jpg

That's because it's pro-rated during the first billing cycle- for the next full billing cycle it'll be 70!

Phone Support is busiest during PST peak hours. If you call outside those hours (they are 24 hours from 9pm Sunday PST to midnight Friday PST) you are more likely to get straight through

dcc1784
Daniel C Member Since: Oct 9, 2015
6 of 13

I appreciate your answer to the connects issue but it doesn't make it right. There is no mention of this pro-rated dedudction prior to upgrading. It only says that you will get 70 connects a month at $10 a month. So, I paid $10 to basically get a two day headstart on the monthly free 60 connects and an additional 10 at $1 dollar per connect. I just lost $4 without any notice before hand that I would. That is not fair in the slightest and to take any amount of money from someone without their prior agreement is theft no matter how small or large. I was very excited to become part of the upwork community when first joining and unfortunately not even three weeks later my opinion has changed entirely on the business and it's best practices. Not on the community and I really appreciate you taking the time to provide your input.

dianachoi
Top Rated Manager
Diana C Top Rated Manager Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
7 of 13

Hi Daniel,

I'm so sorry about your experiences. I've responded to your ticket on Zendesk. You're doing an amazing job! Congratulations on your 100% Job Success Score and graduating from Rising Talent. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions or concerns. Thanks!

~Diana

Untitled
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 13

I don't think yours is a rant, but it is certainly a legitimate cause for concern. In the first place, the client should have invited you. This way, you would not have had to pay two connects. The site should be so intuitive, that the client should have known exactly where to go and how to invite.

For the Rising Talent Program - galling though it must be to have lost out on the connects - frankly, if you could see some (not all) of the profiles of freelancers that Upwork considers to be 'rising talent', you would not wish to be associated with that particular segment.

As to the other questions . . . ?

petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 13

Daniel C wrote:I also signed up with the freelancer site at the same time and have zero complaints about them. Plus there 10% fee that they take is maxed at no more than $5

Wrong

It is 10% or $ 5.00 - whichever is greater. So you pay $ 5.00 on a 20 Dollar contract, $ 6 on a $ 60 Dollar contract and so on.

so they are more expensive at small contracts up to $ 50, and the same afterwards

Plus don't forget that clients pay ANOTHER 3% - so overall the fees are 13%

And take a look at all the other fees - such as

Transaction fees incurred for using Credit Card, PayPal or Skrill.

$0.30 USD + 2.3%

on top....

So instead of a job that earns you $ 90 costing $ 100 like here, it costs the client who pays by credit card $ 105.67 ...

robert_kleiner
Robert K Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
10 of 13

I can help you about your missing connects. It's no mistake but rather some kind of a "marketing trick".

Despite promising you "70 connects with each new billing cycle" (and the moment you upgrade to the plus plan you also upgrade/change your billing cycle) they subtract the connects that you used already.

I even asked CS BEFORE I upgraded my membership whether I would get 70 connects (cos after having blown all 60 connects during my first week the promise of 70 additional connects for only $10 sounded just too good to be true lol).

The CS answer sounded like yes, so I upgraded and only got 20 connects.. lol.. THEN she told me that there is a secret formula (70-60) + (5 X2) = 20   In my case it was 5 days.

If she had said I will only get 20 connects PLUS I have to wait an additional 1 week for the refresh because my billing cycle would be renewed I'm not sure I would have done it.

So, well done Ruth because I still pay $10 each month for my membership up to this day but it's totally worth it for me!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS