Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects & Support Problems

dianachoi
Top Rated Manager
Diana C Top Rated Manager Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
11 of 13

Hi everyone,

I wanted to clarify how membership and connects work. 

Upgrading your membership plan is giving you an additional 10 connects for $10. It is not $10 for 70 connects, because Freelancer Basic is already giving 60 connects for free, which comes out to be 2 connects per day (1 application).

When you upgrade in the middle of your cycle, everyone receives the 10 connects you paid for upgrading. The prorated amount is what is causing the confusion. These are EXTRA connects we provide because your billing cycle restarts at your upgrade date. For instance, if upgrade 5 days after your original billing cycle, you will get 10 connects prorated because your next billing cycle will be 5 days later as well (where you will get 70 connects).

Again, we will give you 10 connects for upgrading and 10 connects prorated (5 days x 2 connects/day) and you already received the 60 original connects from Freelancer Basic, which means this month + 5 days billing cycle you get 80 connects.

I hope this clears it up. Please let me know if you have additonal questions. You can read more about Membership and Connects here.

~Diana

Untitled
dcc1784
Daniel C Member Since: Oct 9, 2015
12 of 13

Thank you for your help Diana!

I would like to make a suggestion since this prorated thing is confusing without it being broken down before hand. Why not give everyone the ability to buy additional connects without upgrading, then offer bulk discount tiers for upgrading?

That is the main reason why I upgraded and I believe why many others do too. People are in need of more connects and ready to spend money with you guys at that moment but after they upgrade it gets confusing. After seeing how many connects I actually received, I started trying to figure out the math and it made no sense. I didn't know if it was an error or intentional, but guess what it did... It took me out of the buying mood. Then I had to spend time searching everywhere for answers because support was really slow which lead to frustration and a bad buying experience.

The model just doesn't work well from a marketing standpoint. Targeted buyer is ready to spend... Let's tell them that it is as easy as 1..2..3.. and let them discover it's not. Step one, take their money. Two, don't give them what they thought they paid for. Three, let them search and wait for answers.

I'll bet that if upwork offered the ability to purchase connects at $1 each without upgrading they would see higher sales volume on connects alone, happier customers and less money wasted for unnecessary related support issues. Continue to offer an upgrade plan but take off the 10 bonus connects feature. Then if people want the competitor bid range option or dicounted tiers for connects, they upgrade! With the right discounts, membership upgrades would increase too. Everyone wins!

Cheers,
Daniel C.

dianachoi
Top Rated Manager
Diana C Top Rated Manager Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
13 of 13

Thanks Daniel! I appreciate your feedback and will forward it to the team. 🙂

~Diana

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS