Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Connects are too expensive

code_your_dream
Ace Contributor
Dmitry B Member Since: Oct 15, 2015
1 of 28

I know there are older posts mentioning similar issues, but I wanted to share my experience and get some feedback.

 

As far as I understand, currently the connects work as follows:

- You get 60 connects per month for free membership.

- You get 80 connects per month for paid membership.

- You spend 2 connects on each bid.

 

This system looks a bit strange to me.

First of all, is there a way to spend 1 connect on a bid? If no, why don't we have 30/40 connects instead?

 

Next, compared to $0 payment for free membership I'd expect something much more than just +20 connects for $20 I'm paying for the paid membership.

I think it's OK to limit free bids to 30/month, but it's not OK to extend this by only 10 bids for $20.

And additional connects are way too expensive. For each bid you have to pay $2.

 

Yes, I read the suggestions to be "extra picky" about the job search/filtering, and this probably makes sense for individual freelancers. But I run an agency, and we need much more workload than 1 person. Upwork doesn't seem to manage this in any way. Overall, managing agency account seems to be very difficult here.

 

On Elance this was done much better: you could really spend from 0 to 5 connects depending on the project, plus for company membership you got significantly more connects.

 

I'd strongly prefer to work on a higher quality marketplace like Elance - both in terms of clients/projects and in terms of features. Can Upwork support this somehow?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 28

Don't buy connects. Problem solved.

tofayel7710
Active Member
Tofayel A Member Since: Dec 10, 2018
3 of 28
As a freelancer if I buy per month 30$+ connects then then my account have any problem ?
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 28

Hi Tofayel,

 

There shouldn't be any issues with your account because of purchasing connects. If you feel like you need more connects to send more proposals, feel free to purchase more. Make sure you send well-written proposals only to jobs you're absolutely sure you are qualified to complete. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
5 of 28
60 connects is plenty. I find that after a while, I have a bunch of roll over connects because I'm too buys on current projects to bid on new ones.
davis_megan
Active Member
Megan D Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
6 of 28
Not everyone does the same work. That's great that you don't use up your connects, but not all of us are that fortunate. My work requires a good amount of connects.
Now with the service fee increase, I will likely need to buy more connects. Not cool
katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
7 of 28

@Megan D wrote:
Not everyone does the same work. That's great that you don't use up your connects, but not all of us are that fortunate. My work requires a good amount of connects.
Now with the service fee increase, I will likely need to buy more connects. Not cool

I'm sorry Megan, but I'm not understanding you. Why would the service fee increase cause you to have to buy more connects? 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
davis_megan
Active Member
Megan D Member Since: Jun 30, 2016
8 of 28

@Katrina B wrote:

@Megan D wrote:
Not everyone does the same work. That's great that you don't use up your connects, but not all of us are that fortunate. My work requires a good amount of connects.
Now with the service fee increase, I will likely need to buy more connects. Not cool

I'm sorry Megan, but I'm not understanding you. Why would the service fee increase cause you to have to buy more connects? 


New service fee forces me to raise my rates. I already have to compete with people in other countries that offer much cheaper rates. A client is more likely to hire out of the country to save money, and believe me, they do.

qqsolutions
Community Guru
Muhammad Saif U Member Since: Oct 18, 2015
9 of 28

Since my Day 1 on Elance I a paid member always. I never brought down my membership to free. On Elance it was really good.. But on Upwork really I cannot find much benefit for a paid membership. Upwork should consider these couple of points for paid members:

1. For regular paid members, cost of connects should be discounted. As upwork is giving away free connects and bonus connects to FREE members .. why can't offer a discount who want to buy connects in bulk every month. Like I want to buy 100 more connects every month, why upwork should not offer a discount?

2. upwork should allow paid agency members to assign the jobs to their members in agency theirselves. I a facing a lot of trouble when couple of clients award job to our agency on a single profile,, this way we are unable to track hours for our work.

 

Upwork, please consider it now.. how long we have to wait more? I am getting old now Smiley Happy

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 28

@Muhammad Saif U wrote:

 

1. For regular paid members, cost of connects should be discounted. As upwork is giving away free connects and bonus connects to FREE members .. why can't offer a discount who want to buy connects in bulk every month. Like I want to buy 100 more connects every month, why upwork should not offer a discount?


 Because Upwork does  not want you to buy connects "in bulk". If it wanted you to bid on that many jobs, you'd have more connects.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS