Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects are too expensive

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 28

Hi All,

A couple of posts have been removed from this thread. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful toward other members of the Community.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
smartbpo
Community Guru
Muhammad I Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
12 of 28

I am also a premium member of UpWork from day one but I was not able to consume all my connects in a single month. From last 4 months, I never went below 200 connects from my account.

Though I have a lot of problem and issues with Upwork. But what I suggest that the difference between paid membership and free must be 50%. If Paid Members get 80 connects and then Free Members connects should be 40. It's sound fair.

Here is the screenshot of my connects history which is going to be a rollover in next 5 days and I'll get 80 more.connects.jpg

vasilijzgr
Vasil Z Member Since: Dec 23, 2017
13 of 28
Tottally agree wirh you. As a music/sound freelancer I find first of all the 30 bids per month not enough. That is let's say 1 bid per day. I understand that Upwork is in this way somehow filtering their freelancers and the quality of bids. But on the other hand you must also filter the quality of projects posted to the platforms. I have bided last month to 30 projects, one per day in a carefully selected project, but at the end 70% of these projects are not serious projects, till now without an awarded freelancer and no one is interviewed.

I think Upwork must really rethink their platform.
bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
14 of 28

Well guys let me tell you how one other platform works.  I signed up for **edited for Community Guidelines**, and over there you have to pay to bid on projects.  In the space I am working they wanted $30/bid.  They also say that on an average you have to bid on 10 jobs to land one.  I am below average so I have to plonk out about $400 to land a $500 job (most of the jobs I saw had a budget in the range of $400-$700).  Don't bid on too many jobs.  I never use all my connect and am happy with the free plan.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 28

@Vasil Z wrote:
Tottally agree wirh you. As a music/sound freelancer I find first of all the 30 bids per month not enough. That is let's say 1 bid per day. I understand that Upwork is in this way somehow filtering their freelancers and the quality of bids. But on the other hand you must also filter the quality of projects posted to the platforms. I have bided last month to 30 projects, one per day in a carefully selected project, but at the end 70% of these projects are not serious projects, till now without an awarded freelancer and no one is interviewed.

I think Upwork must really rethink their platform.

Cost of connects aside, if you're taking the time to bid on 30 projects each month and the projects in your field pay $35-50, isn't that a net loss, anyway? Even if you spend ten minutes per proposal (with no time reading through for opportunities or in discussions with the client), you're investing five hours plus the time you spend on the project to make $35-50. That seems to suggest that Upwork just isn't a good fit for the type of work that you do.

vasilijzgr
16 of 28
I work on sound/music, projects in my field can be also in the range of 750-1000$,
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 28

Maybe it's your strategy that is flawed, then. Maybe you should consider setting a floor on the value of jobs you bid on, so as not to waste so much time and so many connects on jobs that aren't worth the investment.

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
18 of 28

@Vasil:  Have you considered the fact that no one is willing to pay your price for whatever you are offering?  More connects would mean you will just waste time chasing the stuff that is not going to happen.

vasilijzgr
19 of 28

Hi Prashad
Thanks for replying
I am new to up work but not as a sound/audio/music freelancer.
Yes, I have thought of that but then I look to the other freelancer platforms where I work and complete project after project, and   I haven't started there with 30 bids per month. That was my point....30 bids per month are not enough for a fresh new freelancer to build his repüutation in a logical time frame.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
20 of 28

1. If there is another platform where a freelancer can land job after job, why use Upwork?

2. If there are so few gigs on Upwork that a new freelancer can't get a start, why should Upwork facilitate adding new freelancers? It would seem to me the focus should be on acquiring new clients for existing freelancers. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS