cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects get out of hand.

Community Guru
Richard L Member Since: Dec 14, 2016
1 of 57

I was disappointed when Upwork decided they had to milk me even more money for applying to jobs, and yet also still not requiring clients to respond. I can sometimes take 20 minutes or half an hour to craft a proper proposal depending on the client description and needs...And most of the time there is no response. So now, not only am I paying 30 cents for the privilege of applying for every 2 connect job (and paying VAT which I don't technically owe), but I noticed a new thing. Suddenly jobs cost more than 2 connects to apply for. In 2.5 years working through Upwork EVERY job I applied for was 2 connects. I never saw a job for 1 connect, which they should be if they are $10 jobs. But just this week I saw 3 jobs that I might apply for that were 6 connects, and I applied for none of them. That is, the application would cost 90 cents PLUS the hourly wage I was losing spending 20 minutes to apply. In all, and at my standard fee, that means I am chucking about $14 just to apply for a job that I have no idea if the client will even read. 

While Upwork has helped me adjust my life situation to some extent, I am growing more and more dissatisfied with the penny-pinching feel. If I am just one freelancer who has earned them at least $10,000 over the past few years in fees, why are they making it more costly for me to use their service rather than less?

Obviously, a dollar to apply for a job is nothing. $14 is a bit riskier, and really verging on stupid. Why are clients not REQUIRED to respond? If they don't or if they don't even read an application, why are those connects not returned? The freelancer's effort is not being respected at all.

I'd be interested in the response of other people both pro and con the new "cost per application" as I don't see how it benefits anyone involved. And the hike in 'connect' rates is just awful. If I put in an application a day, each month that will cost me about $420. That is it subtracts from my working hours and costs me in connects. 

Am I seriously the only one who looks at this as getting out of control?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 57

Richard L wrote:

Obviously, a dollar to apply for a job is nothing. $14 is a bit riskier, and really verging on stupid.
 If I put in an application a day, each month that will cost me about $420. That is it subtracts from my working hours and costs me in connects.

Connects cost $ 0.15 each, how do you arrive at $ 14 to apply for a contract, let alone $ 420 a month?

If you were to put in one application a day for 30 days, even if all the jobs were at 6 connects, that comes to $ 27 a month...

One of us is missing something

Ace Contributor
Grigoriy F Member Since: Aug 6, 2017
3 of 57

He add his hour rate for time he need to create proporsal

Community Guru
4 of 57

Grigoriy F wrote:

He add his hour rate for time he need to create proporsal

Ah ok. My bad, I missed that part of the calculation, even though he did make it clear. Sorry Richard.

Catharine G Member Since: May 14, 2019
5 of 57

This is a very dismissive response to Richard L. $27 a month is nothing to sneeze at; you often have to send out multiple proposals to get one job. $14 for one job isn't unusual: that's just 10-15 proposals which is *not* at all unusual for high-end freelancer.  

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 57

Catharine G wrote:

This is a very dismissive response to Richard L. $27 a month is nothing to sneeze at; you often have to send out multiple proposals to get one job. $14 for one job isn't unusual: that's just 10-15 proposals which is *not* at all unusual for high-end freelancer.  

For someone who claims to have paid more than $10,000 in Upwork fees, $27/month should be "something to sneeze at." Someone who is earning more than $100,000 here and can't afford to pay/thinks it's unreasonable to pay a little over $300/year to keep that rolling along is doing something very wrong.

Community Guru
7 of 57
I'm wondering about your math skills. $10,000 reflects VAT and 20% of my
earnings and comes to about 25% of what I make. $40,000 over two years
is below the poverty level in the US.
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 57

Richard L wrote:
I'm wondering about your math skills. $10,000 reflects VAT and 20% of my
earnings and comes to about 25% of what I make. $40,000 over two years
is below the poverty level in the US.

Sorry, Richard. I wasn't aware that you were working exclusively on tiny jobs, nor that you were for some reason counting VAT as money Upwork had earned from you.

My net fees to Upwork are about 9.5%, which is similar to that paid by many of my colleagues.Since you seemed to be positioning yourself as a high earner that Upwork should value more, I made some faulty assumptions. (A mistake just as bad from my end, as I taught logic and critical reasoning for as many years as I did math.)

Community Guru
9 of 57
I mentioned that I am wasting time that I could otherwise be
working...and I do have work. Instead of working I am applying for work,
and that comes off the ledger.
Community Guru
10 of 57

Richard L wrote:
I mentioned that I am wasting time that I could otherwise be
working...

You did indeed and I missed it.

It's past wine o'clock Smiley Wink

Having experimented with different proposal formats, I find that a very short and to the point one that still addresses the client individually works best for me, so I would not spend 20 minutes on a proposal as that would cost $ 15 worth of my time.

I only spend any significant amount of time on proposals for jobs potentially worth tens of thousands.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS