Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects get out of hand.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
41 of 57

Richard L wrote:

Aren't you the one who just said Upwork isn't making interest on the money they hold?

It (no interest earned on funds in the security hold etc) is what Upwork have confirmed time and time again, so unless they are constantly outright lying publicly.....

Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
42 of 57

All of it is tinkering, it's 'fluff' around the edges, penalizing both freelancers and clients, because the current business model dosn't work. 

My own view is that everything possible should be done to encourage potential clients to use the site. The more clients, the greater the chance to find work and Upwork to make money from hired jobs. From my side, no one forces me to spend connects and it's usually pretty clear which potential job postings are worth taking the time to apply for.

Maybe the new connect policy for freelancers will mean that those who can't make it pay and/or are simply sub-standard in terms of the 'service' they provide will be lost to the site (which others have suggested is the purpose of the changes), but as things stand, they will simply be replaced by others who end up in the same category and so it goes on.

I am certainly not suggesting that this becomes some sort of 'closed shop' to the benefit of the already skilled and established freelancers that use it, but the site really should look at its requirements for those looking to register with it. Individuals should have to prove, conclusively, that they either have the qualifications, skills or work experience for the area of work they wish to register for. I appreciate that this would no doubt take more time for Upwork staff (it wouldn't be an extra cost to UP, things would just take longer), but what you would get is a higher quality of freelancer, a better reputation for the site (and trust in it) and an increase in clients wanting to use it. They would know that they will find a competent FL to complete the work for them and all of the 'tinkering' would be completely unnecessary.

Community Guru
Richard L Member Since: Dec 14, 2016
43 of 57

Richard S,

Nicely and positively approached. While I'm not a huge fan of the testing area (I'm not sure all those tests were compiled by experts), I have taken some which I think help define my skills and perhaps help to separate out the unskilled workers who might otherwise just claim to have a skill.

I think raising the quality and standards is a nice, positive suggestion. Honestly, if you look at the process, a client can post looking for an expert in brain surgery, and I can apply without ever having held a scalpel. However, I don't think discouraging new freelancers is a good idea -- it fits the needs of some clients who might also grow with the site and successes.

There has to be a solution.

Community Guru
44 of 57

Hi Richard. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from using the site, far from it, everyone has to start somewhere in their journey as an FL. But the site is under no obligation to accept an application to register with it, and for so long as it's registration requirements remain inadequate, it will remain a market place for inadequate freelancers.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
45 of 57

Richard S wrote:

Hi Richard. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from using the site, far from it, everyone has to start somewhere in their journey as an FL. But the site is under no obligation to accept an application to register with it, and for so long as it's registration requirements remain inadequate, it will remain a market place for inadequate freelancers.

It's a pretty broad-spectrum marketplace. There are freelancers here using fixed price contracts to avoid the $3/hour minimum and work for much less, and others working for well in excess of $100/hour. 

I've seen claims that Upwork is rejecting 90% of new freelancer profiles--if that's true, they've obviously upped the standards a bit.

Community Guru
46 of 57

Hi Tiffany, that's encouraging, where have you seen those claims, it would be great to have a look.

Community Guru
47 of 57

Tiffany S wrote:

Richard S wrote:

It's a pretty broad-spectrum marketplace. There are freelancers here using fixed price contracts to avoid the $3/hour minimum and work for much less, and others working for well in excess of $100/hour. 

I've seen claims that Upwork is rejecting 90% of new freelancer profiles--if that's true, they've obviously upped the standards a bit.

Tiffany, you've either misundestood or deliberately ignored my point. It shouldn't be 'a broad spectrum market place' for all the reasons I've previously given. What you seem to be saying is that it's fine for some FL's to be doing work on here for practically nothing. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that in itself, but if that's the sort of FL the site wants to have, it will never succeed. Again, if you could provide information that indicates (as you have said) that Upwork is rejecting approximately 90% of new applicants, that would be great.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
48 of 57

Richard S wrote:

Tiffany, you've either misundestood or deliberately ignored my point. It shouldn't be 'a broad spectrum market place' for all the reasons I've previously given. What you seem to be saying is that it's fine for some FL's to be doing work on here for practically nothing. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that in itself, but if that's the sort of FL the site wants to have, it will never succeed. Again, if you could provide information that indicates (as you have said) that Upwork is rejecting approximately 90% of new applicants, that would be great.

But if you're admitting that there are freelancers across the spectrum, then it makes no sense to try to pretend the site is classified by just one type.

As far as the reference, as I said, I seem to recall having seen that claim. I don't recall specifically where I saw it, though I've seen it more than once. My regular hourly rate is $105/hour. If you'd like to hire me to do the Googling for you, I'm game.

Community Guru
49 of 57

Tiffany S wrote:

Richard S wrote:

But if you're admitting that there are freelancers across the spectrum, then it makes no sense to try to pretend the site is classified by just one type.

What does this even mean? Why are you ignoring my suggestion that the site should simply look to improve the standard of FL for the benefit of everyone?

As far as the reference, as I said, I seem to recall having seen that claim. I don't recall specifically where I saw it, though I've seen it more than once. My regular hourly rate is $105/hour. If you'd like to hire me to do the Googling for you, I'm game.

No, but thank you for confirming that you can't provide any evidence to support your claim.

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
50 of 57

Hi! Richard S.

I won't allow you waste that $105 hiring Tiffany to confirm the obvious lol.

I'd like to corroborate that what Tiffany said she saw, I saw it too, if that's anything.

Somewhere in the Upwork help articles, I read that Upwork only accepts 10% of freelancer applications.

It's what Upwork said.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS