cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects limit

Highlighted
Nazmul I Member Since: Jan 8, 2012
1 of 5

Is it logical one can apply maximum 30 jobs only within full month for free? One may apply more by paying $1 for each connects. Is it fair while you are receiving 10% when some one working? You can very well understand that Admin Support like Data entry, Web research etc is highly competitive sector & the payment is $3-$5 per hour maximum time. So how they will survive with this limited connects or buying connects with this high rate?

Community Guru
Julianne G Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
2 of 5

It would seem that since all freelancers are in the same boat as you (all have a limited number of free connects, all have to cough up 10%), that this "unfair" practice of charging for extra connects would affect all providers equally, thus negating the issue of unfairness. It would be unfair only if the fees were applied to just you.

If you can't afford to give up 10% of your UpWork earnings and pay for connects when charging $3/hr, probably no one else can make of go of it either.  Thus, their time here (i.e, your competition), is limited.  If you find that your $3/hr business model is incompatible with UpWork's and therefore unsustainable, I see that you have two options: 1) change your business model or 2) change your business model.  UpWork is unlikely to change theirs.

Sorry. Them's the breaks!

I am personally more than happy to pay more for connects (and wish it were more expensive) as this would reduce the number of providers that could compete for business here, reducing the "competition".  Handing out more free connects will only widen the field, creating a more price-competitive market, forcing you to reduce your rates even further.  

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

re: "Is it logical one can apply maximum 30 jobs only within full month for free?"

Yes, it is logical.

Upwork makes more money from contractors who use fewer connects. So it is more profitable, and thus more logical, for them to do this.

I use, on average, about one connect per month.

Your goal should be to use as few connects as possible, and to spend time working and earning money rather than applying to jobs.

So using fewer connects will be more profitable for you as well as for Upwork.

Community Guru
4 of 5

re: "Is it fair while you are receiving 10% when some one working?"

I think this is fair.

It's similar to tithing and it is similar to a flat tax. I just looked it up and found that dozens of countries use a flat tax, and at least 12 countries have a flat tax that is exactly 10%, just like the rate Upwork retains from contractor earnings.

If I make $5000 in a month, then Upwork keeps 10%.

If you make $50 in a month, then Upwork keeps 10%.

I'm not sure how anything could be more fair. What is your proposal for a better system?

And just to provide you with some "big picture" context:

Upwork has spent a lot of money and effort conducting surveys asking users how they would feel about possible NEW fee structures whereby contractors would start out paying between 15 to 25% of their earnings. And then if they make MORE money (such as $1000 while working for a single client), their fee would go down to 10%, and then if they make even MORE money (such as $5000 while working for a single client), then their fee would go down to 8%.

For most contractors on Upwork, the current "10% fee across the board" system means that they earn more money than some of the alternatives that are being considered. By comparison, the current system seems emminently fair.

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
5 of 5

re: "You can very well understand that Admin Support like Data entry, Web research etc is highly competitive sector & the payment is $3-$5 per hour maximum time."

That is why you should not pursue a contracting career focusing on Admin Support, Data Entry, or Web Research if your goal is to maximize your income.

re: "So how they will survive with this limited connects or buying connects with this high rate?"

This is a peculiar statement. Were you under the impression that Upwork's purpose is to guarantee the "survival" of everybody? or of some particular group of people? Upwork is a website and a business. One might ask how will people survive if Apple or Microsoft or Starbucks or Ben and Jerry's don't hire them? Or how will people survive if they can't make enough money doing something they enjoy on Fiverr.com? Or how will people survive buying cars from Mercedes-Benz, whose products are so expensive?

There are large numbers of people whose sole income is Upwork. And for a large number of those people, the amount of money they make working on Upwork is significantly more than the amount of money that any of their friends and neighbors make while working at non-online jobs in their local economy. Upwork contractors are looked upon with considerably envy in many places, even to the point of resentment. But regardless of all this, Upwork is a business whose objective is to make money. Whether you "survive" or not is a very important matter for you, but it is not a factor in Upwork's business model. No company on Earth, no matter how benevolent, ensures the survival of all people, or even all people who come into contact with it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS