🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects overcharged
Page options
dushyant_14
Community Member

Connects overcharged

Hi Everyone, 

I keep noticing that Upwork has been overcharging me in connects for submitted proposals. 

Does it happen to all? This has happened two times (that I know of) in couple of months. This is highly discouraging. 

See the attached image, where at time of submitting proposals & even after submissions, I am told that it would require x connects (1 connect in this example) and I am charged y (2 connects in this example). 

I am able to adjust when it says that 6 connects are required - where I know that I am paying so and so for submitting a proposal, and I can weigh if it is worth it. Now, this seems ridiculous to me (for I can't say how it really feels, or I may be kicked out). 

The first time this happened, I thought of it as an honest mistake, and checked with support where they refunded - of course without having the courtesy of letting me know why it happened in the first place or even saying sorry that it happened. 

Now, this is the second time, and it may be the lawyer in me who keeps seeing the worst of a situation, but it feels like I am being targeted. I hope I am wrong!

I have been on Upwork for two years, and just started my own agency and I am trying to make the best of this platform for all that is good, but this kind of things are intolerable. I am paying Upwork for the contacts & for the system, or am I wrong?

Now this means, not only I need to find jobs, pay to apply, pay after getting the job but I also need to audit Upwork for what they ACTUALLY (over)charged me and keep raising tickets to correct their mistake/s and than follow up with support to resolve the issues. This seems like an overkill.

Sorry about the rant, but I had to be detailed enough to see if I am the only one who is facing these issues!

Let me know if I am not the only one (That would atleast help knowing that Upwork is not out to get me for somethings I had asked earlier Smiley LOL)

@Upwork: Please charge what you are saying you will charge. And I suggest being transparent, so that you won't have people complaining here after being this frustrated. If it was an honest mistake, be honest and we may be supportive. 

Thanks all! Have a wonderful day!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

With Thanks,
Dushyant

- If you do not fight for yourself, who will?
32 REPLIES 32
kirnazdogan
Community Member

The amount of required connects changes constantly. I think you didn't know this.
It works like a stock market. You are charged for the amount of the time when you see the job post.

Hi Dogan,

I know that each job post needs a different amount of connects as may be needed. I dont care for it much, but I am said that for this particular job - I will be charged x connects, and I am charged y. 

This has happened previously, where Upwork support refunded the connects (I guess because it was their fault).

I do understand what you mean, and that is not my probelm. In your given example, say you are buying share of ABC company and you are confirming your broker to purchase it at $50, your broker says yes, and charges you $100 for the same share in confirmed quantity (plus other service charges, LOL).

If you see the attached image, you will notice that the top portion shows what was charged, and the bottom shows the number of connects required - and it is the same job, as you can see in the Job title.

Let me know if this makes sense!

Edit: @Dogan: Please let me know if you meant that we should simply ignore what number of connects will be required for a job - because somehow that is not the actual number of connects required!

With Thanks,
Dushyant

I mean,

For example, you used 4 connects for a job, but you come back after a few hours and see that the same job requires 2 connects now. Wow! You feel cheated. What I mean is that it's a normal thing. The same job post may require different connects at different times. Isn't that exactly the problem you have?

No, that is not my probelm. Actually it is the opposite. 

When I apply I am told 1 connect will be needed, and I am charged 2 even if I applied at the same time.  

With Thanks,
Dushyant

The number of connects required can change several times for the same job. It can be 4 connects when you apply and then be 6 or 2 connects a few minutes later.

I also can not, even for one single second, imagine contacting Support to demand a connect back..... What a monumental waste of my time (and support time) that would be.

Maybe Upwork should just change the number of connects needed to 10 for every job and be done with it, that would take care of people getting all bent out of shape over how many connects a job costs.

Dushyant S wrote:

This has happened previously, where Upwork support refunded the connects (I guess because it was their fault).

It's because Support time is expensive (and we all pay for it through our fees) so Support won't waste time and money arguing with someone over the value of a connect or tw, that is plain insane.

Petra, 

I totally understand and agree when you say that it is a significant waste of time. 

Let me put it this way:

a) I view a job

b) I see the number of connects required for proposal

c) I apply for the job

d) I see my connects report. 

If all of this happened in 15-30 minutes (I take longer to apply because of the tailored proposals). 

If at stage (b) I see that 4 connects were required, in that case I should not be charged 8. 

And when I go back a few hours after, and I see that the connects required is still 4, I know I wasnt wrong that a particular job needed 4 connects.

I am not worried about the price if it happens once. If it happens daily - say I apply one job a day i.e. 30 jobs a month, 365 a year. I need to ascertain my budget & allocation, so I need to know what I am paying. 

I dont want to go a year like this, and then realize that I have doubled my expenditure on job proposals, just because!

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Hi Dushyant,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I followed up with the team handling your case and one of our team members already followed up on your open ticket.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar, 

Thank you for doing so. 

I hope to get a permanent solution of this please!

I see that my post was edited, and I guess the image was removed. May I ask why? I thought the image may have been of help.

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Hi Dushyant,

Yes, your screenshot was of great help and I already shared it with our team so that they can have a better understanding of the issue. However, it had to be removed as it was in violation of our Community Guidelines.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
tlbp
Community Member

Dushyant S wrote:

Petra, 

I totally understand and agree when you say that it is a significant waste of time. 

Let me put it this way:

a) I view a job

c) I apply for the job

If all of this happened in 15-30 minutes (I take longer to apply because of the tailored proposals). 

If at stage (b) I see that 4 connects were required, in that case I should not be charged 8. 

And when I go back a few hours after, and I see that the connects required is still 4, I know I wasnt wrong that a particular job needed 4 connects.

I am not worried about the price if it happens once. If it happens daily - say I apply one job a day i.e. 30 jobs a month, 365 a year. I need to ascertain my budget & allocation, so I need to know what I am paying. 

I dont want to go a year like this, and then realize that I have doubled my expenditure on job proposals, just because!

So the required connects change is occurring during the 30 minutes it takes you to create your proposal's text? Could you write your proposal in a separate document and then check the connects price before deciding to make the actual proposal? 

dushyant_14
Community Member

Tonya, 

Yes, that could be one of the ways to go. 

I am not fond of it much, for me it may end up a bit distracting for the thought process, so I would rather the bug gets resolved.

But that is something that I had not thought of much. Thank you!

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Tonya P wrote:

Dushyant S wrote:

Petra, 

Let me put it this way:

a) I view a job

c) I apply for the job

So the required connects change is occurring during the 30 minutes it takes you to create your proposal's text? Could you write your proposal in a separate document and then check the connects price before deciding to make the actual proposal? 

Shuffling between your browser and Word Processor windows, going back and forth to review the job description and type then proofread your cover letter, doesn't sound like a particularly helpful idea.

The essence of the whole Upwork and the job feed and the proposal submission process, and even the 20% fees is to make it rather easy to complete the proposal submission process while reviewing the client's requirements at the same time.

And, if the OP manages to do just this (type his letter in Word, and come back to submit the proposal), what is to guarantee that the connects requirement won't change in that millisecond of pasting and submitting the letter?

I also can not, even for one single second, imagine contacting Support to demand a connect back..... What a monumental waste of my time (and support time) that would be.

If the system says, "You'll be charged x connects on the proposal submission page", and eventually charges you y connects, then the system is thoroughly and summarily misleading. The connects charge is unauthorised; whether it cost 1 cent or 10 dollars is utterly irrelevant.

Anyway, I just wanted to remark that I've had this problem at least once.

Only, in my case, I couldn't prove it.

No screenshots, only memory.

It said in my proposal submission page that I would be charged 0 connects (This is specifically the reason why I applied to that job). I looked at the page twice (because I couldn't believe my eyes for one sec), before submitting to the job.

To my utter dismay, it charged me 4 connects.

I contacted support, but since I had no proof, only memory, no refund would be made. The ticket has been closed and I don't wish to have it reopened.

But it feels good to finally see someone with some proof come up with this matter again.

Abinadab,

That is exactly the reason why I started this thread. I was hoping to get to know that I wasn't alone, and now I am glad I did. 

I don't have screenshots or videos of each submissions. I just happened to look at the last proposal submitted in the connects report, and came to realise that there is this issue. I dont even know how many times it would have happened in past few months when I wasn't paying attention! 

No one has the time to audit Upwork and all of it's functions, quite frankly - I dont even calculate that all my hours are being displayed for the month. I work on hourly contracts, and believe that Upwork will do their job and track / bill / get payment. 

Anyways, thank you for saying something. Atleast I know it wasn't only me! 

With Thanks,
Dushyant

dushyant_14
Community Member

Hi Tonya, 

I tried this, and did not help!  I don't know what is going on in the connects system. 

Appreciate the suggestion, thought I should let you know!

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Hi Dushyant,

Thanks for the follow-up. Our Engineering team is investigating the behaviour you reported and so far have confirmed that the number of Connects charged is correct. They are continuing the investigation in order to confirm whether there are any potential inconsistencies with other parts of this process.

We'll share an update directly with you once we have more information, we appreciate your patience while our team is reviewing your reports.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Dogan K wrote:

The amount of required connects changes constantly. I think you didn't know this.
It works like a stock market. You are charged for the amount of the time when you see the job post.

Dogan, you didn't appear to have understood the original post.

Within the period when you click "Submit a proposal" to open the proposal submission page, and the final "Submit a proposal", the connects requirement stays the same for you. This is how it is designed, save the bug which led to this thread.

It doesn't matter if it rose or fell in the marketplace during that time.

This ain't forex or sth.

But even in forex, prices are guaranteed for a certain period of time (in this case, the period between opening the cover letter page and finally submitting the cover letter.

Abinadab A wrote:

Within the period when you click "Submit a proposal" to open the proposal submission page, and the final "Submit a proposal", the connects requirement stays the same for you. This is how it is designed, save the bug which led to this thread.

Do you know for a fact that this is how it is designed? Has Upwork said so? Or do you just mean that this is the sensible way to design it? Unfortunately Upwork's designs are not always sensible.

Richard W wrote:

Abinadab A wrote:

Do you know for a fact that this is how it is designed? Has Upwork said so? Or do you just mean that this is the sensible way to design it? Unfortunately Upwork's designs are not always sensible.

Well, I would welcome confirmation, or denial thereof from Upwork.

Hopefully, a mod will chime in again soon.

Richard W wrote:

Abinadab A wrote:

This is me (Hi!). I have some Indian rupees and would like to buy US dollars.

Exchanger told me it would cost 71.50 INR for 1 USD.

On the basis of that info, I proceed to the purchase.

Even on the checkout page, I was informed again I'll be charged 71.50 INR for 1 USD.

But because I spent a few minutes fuddling around with, and finally entering my crebit card info to pay, I am told that I was charged 80 INR for I usd after I had paid!

That the price changed in the few minutes I was fuddling around with, and entering my credit card info!

I'd be so cross with that company for misleading me.

If the price shown is no longer valid, the page should time out or something.

Hi Dushyant and Abinadab,

I'd like to confirm that your feedback was shared with our team and we'll take a look into the behavior you reported.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir, 

I am guessing the issue has not been resolved yet.  Can you tell me how long will it take? 

The same thing happened today again on another job - and I DO NOT like being overcharged or being taken advantage of. 

I would add images, but it would be taken down by quoting vague community guidelines.

Here is the job link: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Hi Vladimir, Without quoting the community guidelines, can you let me know in simple words why the Upwork Job post link itself is violating the community guidelines? The job post which is not a private job is available for anyone to see on Upwork - is it not? And if you or someone had time to look at my post, you did not have time to respond which just means you are avoiding! FYI - today, it happened the third time that I know of. How long do you expect me to roll over and let it slide without getting a response? This is getting really bad that I have to (or trying to) keep on reaching out to clean up after Upwork's mess. This time - at the time of applying when I select the relevant member from my agency - it shows number of connects to be deducted will be 4 and it still ended up deducting 6 connects. Even if the number of connects change after I click the button to submit a proposal - it should never change after you specifically say x connects will be charged for this member which is still 4! See the attached redacted image. If this image is taken down - I will need explanation in clear terms of what I was in violation of in terms of community guidelines. Just showing where Upwork is wrong is not a violation if Upwork or the system is in fact wrong and at fault. Any idea why this keeps on happening? If the connects system is broken, can you assure that the hourly time track and all rest of the things are not? Can you assure that the fees & percentages that you take is calculated appropriately? Or is it for us to audit? Vladimir / Upwork Team - Let me know on all the things please. If you need additional information, just ask.
With Thanks,
Dushyant

Hi Dushyant,

I'd like to clarify that the screenshots you shared did help our team understand the nature of the behaviour you reported and investigate it further, as Aleksandar confirmed a while back on this thread. We have removed some of your screenshots after forwarding them to our team, since they featured job post details which are not allowed to be shared in the Community.

I'm sorry I don't have an update but would like to reiterate the information I shared on Wednesday, that the number of Connects charged is correct. Our team is still investigating and will provide an update on your open support ticket once they have more information. Feel free to provide any additional evidence directly on your support ticket and our team will follow up to review. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir / Upwork Team, 

Just falsely saying that it is okay does not make it okay. 

How many more snips or proofs do you need before I get a response? 

Now - I have to spend 15-30 minutes to apply, and another 15-20 to share snips when you overcharge me. 

How long till it is resolved? 

See that latest one attached.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Dushyant S wrote:

Vladimir / Upwork Team, 

Now - I have to spend 15-30 minutes to apply, and another 15-20 to share snips when you overcharge me. 

As with all things Upwork, most of the info you see on a project post is not updated immediately, so when you see a project it might be 2 connects but by the time you click "send" on your proposal, the job could have potentially gotten a dozen more proposals. That's why the connects charged are more than what you see when you first read the job. This probably happens more frequently on super saturated areas.

Hi Jennifer, 

Thank you for pointing that out. 

However, there is always going to be atleast 30 to 60 seconds even if I copy paste by proposal. 

And if it changes in between, it should not happen on every 3-5 proposals or so. 

Specifically, on the submit proposal window (which was the middle image with a long redaction) - where it says these many connects are required, it should be updated. 

This is like a service saying if you buy this article - it will cost xy amount, and when you enter your card details, it charges you for xz amount. (Imagine this happening every on every 3rd - 5th transaction LOL)  How long would you be okay with someone doing that? 

And it does not explain the fact that immeidately after applying and checking connect reports, if I go to the same job post, it is again asking for lesser (original) number of connects for the proposal. 

I don't know what to make of it.

The events on everyone of my samples attached to this thread:

-When I go to apply, it says 2 or 4 

-When I actually apply, it deducts 4 or 6

-When I again go to apply, it says 2 or 4 (like the original one)

Does this mean that connects flutuate every 30 seconds???? 

And if so, this would be happening with everyone. Wouldn't it?

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Jennifer M wrote:

Dushyant S wrote:

Vladimir / Upwork Team, 

As with all things Upwork, most of the info you see on a project post is not updated immediately, so when you see a project it might be 2 connects but by the time you click "send" on your proposal, the job could have potentially gotten a dozen more proposals. That's why the connects charged are more than what you see when you first read the job. This probably happens more frequently on super saturated areas

I actually had no idea that this was meant to happen. I have had connects change (upwards) a couple of times, but it was so fast, that I wasn't sure that I had seen correctly. 

I don't understand the one connect though. As far as I remember, two was always the minimum number of connects for a job, even when connects were free. 

Nichola, 

That is absolutely true, no one would think that something like this happens. 

I am hoping if enough people see this thread, it would help when there are more people facing the same bug and making noise. 

I am not sure on 1 connect issue though.

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Nichola L wrote:

I actually had no idea that this was meant to happen. I have had connects change (upwards) a couple of times, but it was so fast, that I wasn't sure that I had seen correctly. 

I don't understand the one connect though. As far as I remember, two was always the minimum number of connects for a job, even when connects were free. 

I think the numbers you see are already outdated because they don't update those numbers real-time. It's batched maybe every couple of minutes or something like that. Because there are too many freelancers, a job could potentially get a dozen proposals within a few minutes. We know robo bidders and people clicking refresh constantly are submitting but then you get people like you or me who just browse casually. 

I have no idea if they are willing to change this. Just explaining why it happens. I generally don't pay attention to number of connects required, so I don't see this happening to me, but I imagine it's probably really common in highly saturated areas. That's basically everywhere on upwork lol

Hi Nichola, 

I actually found a job which requires 1 connect. Did not know those existed!

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Goran, 

The image was redacted. Did I miss something for it to have been removed?

With Thanks,
Dushyant

Hi Dushyant,

Yes, I noticed that you were covering the private details, but there was one job title that was still visible. Because of this, I had to remove it.

Rest assured, I already shared the image with our team that is investigating this. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members