Connects - proposal withdrawal

Hello, 

I've noticed that this month I'm not getting back my connects for job proposals withdrawal. I don't get it. I don't mind spending connects and not getting the jobs. The problem is that most of the jobs I apply to don't get awarded (sometimes the client doesn't even interview anyone) and that is a real waste of connect. 

It's getting clearer and clearer for me that I won't be working on this site anymore. I simply can't and it's frustrating because I've finally built a good profile and references here. The fee and the dollar-eu conversion are making it impossible to get payed a living wage. I'm not even going to complain about how underpaid many of the jobs are (yes, I understand that every country has different wages). Now that I can't even have connects back for the jobs that are totally inactive seems to me like a last drop. 

The only thing that changed on my side is that I paid of premium membership (worst spent money ever). I wonder if it might be that but, it seems completely illogical. 

Anyone know about this?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nkocendova

Hi Dalia,

Please note that connects are not returned when you withdraw your proposal. Connects are only returned when the job is cancelled by the client or Upwork team without a hire.

While some clients take time to hire on their jobs and often come back to review candidates weeks after they posted a job, postings with no activity for more than 30 days are automatically closed.

~Nina

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
nkocendova

Hi Dalia,

Please note that connects are not returned when you withdraw your proposal. Connects are only returned when the job is cancelled by the client or Upwork team without a hire.

While some clients take time to hire on their jobs and often come back to review candidates weeks after they posted a job, postings with no activity for more than 30 days are automatically closed.

~Nina

That means if withdraw my proposal from account i cant got avaible connect again either client not cancel her post job or after 30 dyas automatically withdrawl propasal ....i think wait many days for avaible connect .

Thanks for your answering

Liton**Edited for Community Guidelines**

You guys should look into changing this. 30 days is a long time and many clients just let the job sit there. Around 90% don't come back with an update or a cancel.

David A wrote:

You guys should look into changing this. 30 days is a long time 

It could be 3 days or 300, it wouldn't change anything. Connects are not returned. Unless Upwork, or the client, cancels the job for some reason. Otherwise, they are spent.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Agreed. Should be simple. If I withdraw my proposal my connects should be returned. Especially the ones I paid for.

Jenifer M wrote:

Agreed. Should be simple. If I withdraw my proposal my connects should be returned. Especially the ones I paid for.

This thread is already very old and has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads. What you say will not be done.
If you send a CV by letter and they don't hire you, do you expect to get the stamp back so you can send another letter?
They are your business expenses. Take it on and move on.

😕

Noor K wrote:

😕

Why did you delete the comment?

> If you send a CV by letter and they don't hire you, do you expect to get the stamp back so you > can send another letter?

That's not really a good analogy, especially today when one can email a CV for free.  A better analogy might be, if you have to pay to get a job, it's likely a scam (I realize Upwork isn't the employer so this analogy is not perfect and I'm not calling Upwork a scam). I realize Upwork, like any corporation, wants to maximize its revenue, but it already charges 20%. The least it can do is give back connects that sits in a zombie job posting, which is no fault of the applicants and more the fault of job poster (and therefore Upwork for managing them).  Sometimes there is a thin line between maximizing revenue and a shady practice. 

The point is to force u pay for more connects. So u have to pay for connects, and then u will get a 20% bite from ur cut.  🤔

So now that my connects are lost just because I withdrew my proposals, are some of them supposed to come back with a monthly cycle ?

Hi Vikas,

Connects are returned when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

Please note that Basic Membership doesn't include free Connects. This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. To see the options available to you, click here.
To learn more about acceptable billing methods for paying memberships please read this help article.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I had withdrawn 2 proposals recently and my connects are gone. Do I have an option to again submit the same proposal with those connects?

Chetan T wrote:
I had withdrawn 2 proposals recently and my connects are gone. Do I have an option to again submit the same proposal with those connects?

No, but you can submit the same proposal with new connects.

Rip off, you already charge 20% commission.

Hi,

Just to clarify - if I didn't withdraw my proposal and the client didn't do anything about it after 30 days, will my Connects be automatically returned/refunded? Thanks!

Kimberly Jo O wrote:

Hi,

Just to clarify - if I didn't withdraw my proposal and the client didn't do anything about it after 30 days, will my Connects be automatically returned/refunded? Thanks!

No, not unless the project was marked with a blue dot when you applied. Upwork had been conducting a test in which they returned connects on some projects if 30 days expired without the client hiring anyone, but that has ended now. 

Hi Kimberly Jo,

A job expires after 30 days of inactivity but clients are still able to review proposals and hire freelancers after the mentioned time frame. The connects will only be refunded if the job is closed by the client or by Upwork without a hire and won't be refunded if it expires. Please see this article for more information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Totally unfair! Applying for a job should be free, therefore "connects" should be free too. You might just have to put some limit per day. Are the 20%  and other fees not enough?