🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects reimbursement for abandoned project
Page options
donfak
Community Member

Connects reimbursement for abandoned project

Hi there,

I applied for a well-paid project that cost me 6 connects. 20-50 other freelancers submitted proposals for the same job. I've been going back on the project page to check activities and it appears the client never interviewed or hired anybody. It just seems abandoned by the client.

In this scenario, shouldn't Upwork reimburse connects for projects who never received any activity (for weeks, months...) since it was posted?

-Joel

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joel, Marie, and Jamie, 

If a client doesn’t hire and closes their job post, or if the job post has violated the Upwork Terms of Service, any Connects used to submit a proposal will be returned to you.

Submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business. If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. In this situation, we continue to encourage the client to hire or close the job, but ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
gulmarie
Community Member

Hi Joel,

I am new to Upwork and just encountered the same thing. I'm sorry for both of us, but did you ever hear how to avoid this or get reinbursed?-Marie

lysis10
Community Member

Get over it, people and move on. You're not getting your connects back.

In my humble opinion, I think that people should be reimbursed for connects on 'abandoned' jobs. 

It's not going to happen though. Jennifer is right... move on. Instead of focusing on 'lost' connects, focus instead on how to be successful on Upwork as it is because it isn't going to change any time soon. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

UW vending.png

Phyllis G wrote:

UW vending.png

It actually feels as if the Cheetos get stuck in the vending machine and you start punching and yelling! Cat LOL

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

If a client doesn’t hire and closes their job post, or if the job post has violated the Upwork Terms of Service, any Connects used to submit a proposal will be returned to you.

Submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business. If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. In this situation, we continue to encourage the client to hire or close the job, but ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

~ Avery
Upwork
moonraker
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

If a client doesn’t hire and closes their job post,

But many don't, which is what I think Joel's gripe is. 

Many will post a job and not hire anybody - without closing it and just leaving it to expire. 

Jamie F wrote:

Avery O wrote:

Many will post a job and not hire anybody - without closing it and just leaving it to expire. 

Well, you and the others should just keep complaining about it until Upwork decides not to return connects for any reason. 

Christine A wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Avery O wrote:

Well, you and the others should just keep complaining about it until Upwork decides not to return connects for any reason. 

Whoah there!

I am not complaining! I am just pointing out that Avery's response did not address Joel's concerns. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Yes, Joel, those connects and the time you spent preparing your proposal have been wasted.

But Upwork has decided connects won't be returned to freelancers under most circumstances, and this is one of them.

Upwork has clearly said a primary goal is to reduce the number of freelancer proposals clients receive on their new projects. Reducing the number of connects available to freelancers, by whatever means necessary (no more free connects, etc.) is the primary means of achieving that goal.

This goal was only announced recently, so you should not expect it will be changed any time soon, or ever, unless clients, not freelancers, complain about it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members