🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Connects roll over and I have lost 170 co...
Page options
ruslan08
Community Member

Connects roll over and I have lost 170 connects

Hello Support team,

I have purchased over 300 connects recently. It was July 8th to be more specific. 
And 2 days ago(July 15th), so it's only a week later, it was my connect monthly rollover period and I noticed that there is only 140 connects left on my account. 170 connects are removed.

What I was thinking as I was buying the connects was that those 300 connects would be available for a month. 

There is a reason for me to think that way. As there is no free connects these days, rollover day has no meaning. What I think is reasonable is that the connects purchased should be remained until next month, maybe 30 days from the moment of purchase. Isn't it?

If it's not, the truth is rollover day is nothing but a day when the system takes out the connects that we have bought. I have spent almost $50 for those connects after all and more than half is gone? Does this make sense?

Can anyone please take a look at this problem and help me out?

Upwork community is where the freelancers' problems are solved
Hope some community members can raise this issue to the customer support and let them take action, rather positive one please.

Looking forward the problem to be solved!!

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nichola L wrote:

OK I do see now. 

You can't stockpile and that makes sense. The number of connects you can have in any one cycle is 350. And that is a lot (even too many) if Upwork wants to reduce the number of random proposals sent out. So  at the end of each billing cycle however many you have left over 140, will not roll over.  

Yes, I see as well. However I will restate my question, does the billing cycle piece make sense if you aren't on a plan? Shouldn't it be 30 days from purchase if you aren't on a plan?  I appreciate Upwork is still working out the kinks - and I hope this user receives some refund or compenstation. 

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
colettelewis
Community Member

I think it says somewhere, that you can only roll over 140. But I need someone to confirm that. 

Nichola L wrote:

I think it says somewhere, that you can only roll over 140. But I need someone to confirm that. 

No, they are valid for a year after purchase.

Martina P wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

They are valid for a year, but you can only rollover 140 from month to month and the thought that someone bought 300 connects totally stunned me.

Petra R wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

They are valid for a year, but you can only rollover 140 from month to month and the thought that someone bought 300 connects totally stunned me.

I'm sure the OP had his reasons, maybe those 300 were for convience, I don't know. Also, with most jobs costing 6 connects, that's 50 jobs...not a ton if you are looking at a quarterly view. Regardless, I don't see how the rollover piece should apply if a user isn't on a plan. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ruslan,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please note that connects do roll over for both Basic and Plus plans now. You will be able to roll over up to 140 Connects as a freelancer

You can check this help article for more information.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
m_sharman
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Ruslan,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please note that connects do roll over for both Basic and Plus plans now. You will be able to roll over up to 140 Connects as a freelancer

Thank you.

Are you saying he lost 170 of his connects just because he purchased them too close to the roll over window? This makes no sense. 

mtngigi
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Ruslan,

Thank you.

Bojan,

Would you please clarify?

What you're saying (I think) is that even if you've purchased X number of connects, all but 140 of them will not roll over? If that is made clear anywhere, would you please post a link?

We'd all appreciate that.

Can I buy as many Connects as I want?

As a freelancer, the maximum balance of Connects you can have at any time is 350 (the same as now). For agencies, that maximum is 400. It is important to note that you can only roll over 140 Connects per billing cycle (agencies can roll over as many as 160). We will notify you before your Connects are due to expire.

How I understand it is that you can hang on to the number of connects you had prior to this new rollout for a year. 

Hi All,

I apologies if my response wasn't clear. To clarify, all freelancers can roll over 140 connects per billing cycle. Any connects over that amount will not roll over. Please, see ''How many Connects can I roll over each month?'' section of this help article.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
ruslan08
Community Member

Hi Bojan

Can you please tell me what you mean by billing cycle? Isn't that a period of time(maybe 30 days) between the date of payments or billings?

With that said, it should be 30 days after I bought the connects.

Let me know if I am wrong.

petra_r
Community Member

Ruslan R wrote:

Hi Bojan

Can you please tell me what you mean by billing cycle?

Go to your Membership and Connects page

Your billing cycle is at the bottom.

billing cycle.jpg

Petra R wrote:

Can you please tell me what you mean by billing cycle?Go to your Membership and Connects page

billing cycle.jpg

Does a "billing" cycle even make sense anymore if a user isn't on a plan? (I haven't checked the status for the OP).  I would think the connects should be good for a year from date of purchase and perhaps Upwork should limit how many a user can purchase vs. having this user lose over 50% of his connects.

Miriam H wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Can you please tell me what you mean by billing cycle?Go to your Membership and Connects page

billing cycle.jpg

Does a "billing" cycle even make sense anymore if a user isn't on a plan? (I haven't checked the status for the OP).  I would think the connects should be good for a year from date of purchase and perhaps Upwork should limit how many a user can purchase vs. having this user lose over 50% of his connects.

OK I do see now. 

You can't stockpile and that makes sense. The number of connects you can have in any one cycle is 350. And that is a lot (even too many) if Upwork wants to reduce the number of random proposals sent out. So  at the end of each billing cycle however many you have left over 140, will not roll over.  

Nichola L wrote:

OK I do see now. 

Yes, I see as well. However I will restate my question, does the billing cycle piece make sense if you aren't on a plan? Shouldn't it be 30 days from purchase if you aren't on a plan?  I appreciate Upwork is still working out the kinks - and I hope this user receives some refund or compenstation. 

ruslan08
Community Member

billing cycle.jpg

Yes, I see the current `Billing Cycle` info on my settings page. To understand what it really is, I clicked Learn more link and it redirected me to here.

Surprisingly it says about Membership Billing, which I don't have on my profile curently. 

Again, I strongly believe the concept of billing cycle should be redefiend based on the fact that there is no free connects provided by the system.

And for those who don't have plus membership plans, the billing cycle now should be based on the purchase date, IF UW still wants to take out something that the freelancers purchased paying money for mere numbers representing something called connects.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ruslan,

You can see your billing cycle in Settings > Memberships & Connects.

This is correct, Nichola!

''Does this mean you can have up to 350 connects (bought) to spend duing the billing cycle, and that even if you have 250 left you can only roll over 140 of these?''

~ Bojan
Upwork
m_sharman
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Ruslan,

''Does this mean you can have up to 350 connects (bought) to spend duing the billing cycle, and that even if you have 250 left you can only roll over 140 of these?''

Again, what is the meaning of a billing cycle if you aren't paying a monthly fee???? This seems to be a legacy from the previous system that should be addressed. 

Miriam H wrote:

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Ruslan,

Again, what is the meaning of a billing cycle if you aren't paying a monthly fee???? This seems to be a legacy from the previous system that should be addressed. 

You can change back and forth between these two plans so it does make sense even if you do not see it right away.

Jennifer R wrote:

You can change back and forth between these two plans so it does make sense even if you do not see it right away.

Ok, so if you do switch to a plan, you will have a billing cycle, otherwise none should exist.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that FLs should have unlimited connects, merely how they are "dated" for expiration" should change depending on whether you have a plan, or don't have a plan. 

Miriam H wrote:

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Ruslan,

Everybody has always had a billing cycle, regardless of which plan they were on (free or a premium plan). On the free plan, rollover day was the day your remaining connects vanished and your new allotment of 60 appeared. Now, it's the day any connects in your account up to and including 140, roll over.
They obviously want to prevent people from stockpiling connects, so it makes sense to preserve the legacy billing cycle structure. Can you imagine UW trying to implement a system to track 30-day life cycles on connects being purchased on random days by tens of thousands of FLs? That's certainly not where I want them investing their engineering resources. 

Phyllis G wrote:

Everybody has always had a billing cycle, regardless of which plan they were on (free or a premium plan). On the free plan, rollover day was the day your remaining connects vanished and your new allotment of 60 appeared. Now, it's the day any connects in your account up to and including 140, roll over.
They obviously want to prevent people from stockpiling connects, so it makes sense to preserve the legacy billing cycle structure. Can you imagine UW trying to implement a system to track 30-day life cycles on connects being purchased on random days by tens of thousands of FLs? That's certainly not where I want them investing their engineering resources. 

Yes, I understand why there was a billing cycle previously. I'm not an engineer, but it doesn't seem that complicated to manage the connects purchases without tying them to a meaningless billing cycle. If you are correct, that it is a complex endeavor, then Upwork needs to improve its communication around purchasing connects so it's less likely other freelancers experience the frustration experienced by our OP.  Obviously I recognize there are plenty of members of Upwork who don't read or understand, but this change in policy appears to be poorly communicated and understood by members of the community.

Miriam H wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Yes, I understand why there was a billing cycle previously. I'm not an engineer, but it doesn't seem that complicated to manage the connects purchases without tying them to a meaningless billing cycle. If you are correct, that it is a complex endeavor, then Upwork needs to improve its communication around purchasing connects so it's less likely other freelancers experience the frustration experienced by our OP.  Obviously I recognize there are plenty of members of Upwork who don't read or understand, but this change in policy appears to be poorly communicated and understood by members of the community.

I couldn't agree more. (Although, at the same time, it's beyond me why someone would buy that many connects at one time, when everywhere you turn around you see that we "can roll over up to 140 connects".)

tlsanders
Community Member

So, Upwork found time to create 243 pop-ups warning us not to give out our phone numbers every time a string of numbers appears anywhere in any context, but not one warning a freelancer buying more than double the number of connects he can roll over that he's going to lose most of them in a week?

Nichola L wrote:

As a freelancer, the maximum balance of Connects you can have at any time is 350 (the same as now). For agencies, that maximum is 400. It is important to note that you can only roll over 140 Connects per billing cycle (agencies can roll over as many as 160). We will notify you before your Connects are due to expire.

How I understand it is that you can hang on to the number of connects you had prior to this new rollout for a year. 

ETA: And this isn't  clear. Does this mean you can have up to 350 connects (bought) to spend duing the billing cycle, and that even if you have 250 left you can only roll over 140 of these? 

Nichola L wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

ETA: And this isn't  clear. Does this mean you can have up to 350 connects (bought) to spend duing the billing cycle, and that even if you have 250 left you can only roll over 140 of these? 

Yes, that is what it means. No matter how many connects in your account, only 140 can roll over to the next billing cycle. This is what I posted about a few weeks ago, to get clarification on "connects are good for 1 year from date of acquisition" and "only 140 roll over". Those two things could not both be true. The bottom line is that a connect is good for one year or until you have more than 140 in your account on roll-over day, whichever comes first.

Phyllis G wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Yes, that is what it means. No matter how many connects in your account, only 140 can roll over to the next billing cycle. This is what I posted about a few weeks ago, to get clarification on "connects are good for 1 year from date of acquisition" and "only 140 roll over". Those two things could not both be true. The bottom line is that a connect is good for one year or until you have more than 140 in your account on roll-over day, whichever comes first.

That's crazy. To take away connects that have been purchased and are valid for a year, just because upwork randomly thinks you should not have more than 140 at the end of your billing cycle, seems wrong, just completely wrong. Upwork, don't do that.

Martina P wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

That's crazy. To take away connects that have been purchased and are valid for a year, just because upwork randomly thinks you should not have more than 140 at the end of your billing cycle, seems wrong, just completely wrong. Upwork, don't do that.

In order to get a moderator to provide unequivocal clarification, I posted a hypothetical situation in which I purchased several hundred connects at once because I'm lazy and wouldn't want to purchase again for at least a year. I did finally get the clear answer I've shared above. But also got a lot of "Why on earth would you buy so many connects at one time?" to which my only answer was, "It's hypothetical!" I remain gobsmacked that somebody would buy 300 at once unless they're a farmer or their conversion rate is abysmally low. Otherwise, they'd be subsisting partly on invitations, I would think. Obviously, there are a million scenarios in the naked city and I could be completely wrong on all counts. What's clear, though, is that UW is not interested in letting people stockpile hundreds of connects. Buying them is easy and there's no volume discount, so I don't see what the big problem is.

Phyllis G wrote:

In order to get a moderator to provide unequivocal clarification, I posted a hypothetical situation in which I purchased several hundred connects at once because I'm lazy and wouldn't want to purchase again for at least a year. I did finally get the clear answer I've shared above. But also got a lot of "Why on earth would you buy so many connects at one time?" to which my only answer was, "It's hypothetical!" I remain gobsmacked that somebody would buy 300 at once unless they're a farmer or their conversion rate is abysmally low. Otherwise, they'd be subsisting partly on invitations, I would think. Obviously, there are a million scenarios in the naked city and I could be completely wrong on all counts. What's clear, though, is that UW is not interested in letting people stockpile hundreds of connects. Buying them is easy and there's no volume discount, so I don't see what the big problem is.

Basic

Free
This is your current plan
Includes:

Buy Connects as you need them for $0.15 each*

Unused Connects rollover up to 140

Hourly protection to ensure you're paid for each hour worked

Fixed-price payments are secured through milestones
*Connects expire one year after purchase date

I agree that 300 is an inordinate number, but the problem with the free plan is that there is no real definable roll-over date as there is no billing cycle (as Miriam said) and if you have any connects at all left over at the end of the year, they do not roll over anyway. So does a "billing cycle" commence with the first purchase of connects?

Nichola L wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Basic

Free
This is your current plan
Includes:

Buy Connects as you need them for $0.15 each*

Unused Connects rollover up to 140

Hourly protection to ensure you're paid for each hour worked

Fixed-price payments are secured through milestones
*Connects expire one year after purchase date

I agree that 300 is an inordinate number, but the problem with the free plan is that there is no real definable roll-over date as there is no billing cycle (as Miriam said) and if you have any connects at all left over at the end of the year, they do not roll over anyway. So does a "billing cycle" commence with the first purchase of connects?

Everybody has always had a billing cycle, even on the free plan. On a certain date every month (I forget which date), my remaining connects (often 60) were taken away and my new allotment of 60 was credited to my account. That was (and is) my billing cycle. On the day they switched me to paid connects, I had 60 and they gave me 60. Now, on that same date every month, if I happen to have more than 140 in my account, the excess will vaporize. I'm having a hard time seeing this as a major problem because I can't figure out why somebody would want to spend money to sit on so many connects. Maybe there's a business case for it that I'm just not seeing.

I had originally read it as any connects you buy last a year. Until I realised.  In May I was given a "Valued member credit" of 60 connects.  The point of that escapes me as ten days later they went.  Should have been called a "we thought you weren't too bad for a short time credit".

Kim F wrote:

I had originally read it as any connects you buy last a year. Until I realised.  In May I was given a "Valued member credit" of 60 connects.  The point of that escapes me as ten days later they went.  Should have been called a "we thought you weren't too bad for a short time credit".

You should question it further. The algorithm probably didn't recognize it was a "bonus" rather than your usual 60 connects. 

Nichola L wrote:

Kim F wrote:

You should question it further. The algorithm probably didn't recognize it was a "bonus" rather than your usual 60 connects. 

I have no idea how I could ask a question that would result in an answer that makes sense, considering it's taken this long for it to become clear that to say connects 'last a year' means they 'last a year except when they don't'.  I assumed it would take a long and torturous exchange until I was told I had too many and therefore they were taking some back. 

But I must admit that 'valued' wasn't the word to describe how I felt about it.

So the moral of the story is "Buy connects in small packs while you need them, and use them right away. Don't go crazy buying hundreds because you will not be able to roll over more than 140."

I understand the account has a limit of 350 connects. So if you reach the limit because you were piling up, didn't have time to apply to jobs, etc. better you use at least 210 before your billing cycle is due, otherwise you will lose those 210. And this will happen no matter what kind of plan you have.

Am I right?

this is ridiculous!

why don't you just use one simple rule - you can't have more than xxx connects - forget the billing cycle.   this way you're just making people confused - can they roll over, will they disappear, how many will disappear...they're not free, you know ...

r_satta
Community Member

Sanja D wrote:

this is ridiculous!

why don't you just use one simple rule - you can't have more than xxx connects - forget the billing cycle.   this way you're just making people confused - can they roll over, will they disappear, how many will disappear...they're not free, you know ...

Transparency is not what Upwork does best. Why making something easier if you can benefit from it the way it is? Smiley Frustrated

I mean, just look at this forum we are using to post. This is something out of the early 2000s and totally not user-friendly just because confusion is better than clarity. (for Upwork, obviously :wink:)

Sanja D wrote:

this is ridiculous!

I'm guessing they can't throw out the billing cycle because some FLs are on a paid plan, and FLs can switch from free to paid and back again at will, right? So that structure needs to remain in place. And everybody's been on a billing cycle all along, anyway, whether they paid attention or not. UW wants to discourage hoarding and also put an expiration date on connects. Seems to me the simplest way to do that is the way they've done it.

As usual, the communication around it has left much to be desired. UW has said all along that connects would be good for one year from acquisition date and that we could only roll over 140 each month. Well, both those things can't be true so it stands to reason one is false. There was a mildly tortuous but ultimately clarifying exchange about it on one of the official threads a few weeks ago, because someone (yours truly) decided that specific ambiguity needed to be sorted. Any other FL who has paid attention and thought about what they were hearing could also recognize the mixed message and pursue it. At this point, I don't understand the degree of hullaballoo. I think some people are just generally irritated and are looking for opportunities to be confused, inconvenienced, and stymied. 

Phyllis G wrote:

UW has said all along that connects would be good for one year from acquisition date and that we could only roll over 140 each month. Well, both those things can't be true so it stands to reason one is false.

I guess a possible scenario for both to be true is a freelancer who has a basic plan, who purchased 100 connects today and stays for one year not applying to any job or applying to very few, maybe working mostly through invitations or recurring clients. This way those 100 connects will rollover every month because they are less than 140 (maybe less than 100 if he/she applies once in a while). Then in July 2020 those connects will finally expire.

ruslan08
Community Member

I bought maybe too many connects but I was sure I could use more than 150 connects within 30 days. That's not difficult as we are now consuming 4~6 connects for any hourly jobs. Applying for one job every day would consume nearly 200 connects in a month's time.

I was thinking when I was buying those connects that they will be remained for 30 days. That was my mistake, if I have to find any.

But still the word billing cycle doesn't seem to have meaning. 

Current Billing Cycle

Jul 15, 2019 — Aug 14, 2019
Learn more

July 15 or Augst 14, these days used to have meaning when I got 60 free connects - Oh my, those are good old days now. At that time, any remained connects were removed and I had no objection since they were given to me for free. Now I am BUYING connects. They are not free anymore. And UW is still taking those purchased connects. And only a week or so after I purchased them? Simply because it's the day when they used to remove unused free connects? And what is worse - they never let me know it's about to be removed.
Does this make sense to anyone? 

The verbiage for the connects policy on the "Buy Connects" page states, "This bundle of Connects will expire 1 year from today. Unused Connects rollover to the next month (maximum of 140)." If the rollover sentence was revised to explicitly communicate the billing cycle expiration, this may help reduce ambiguity.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths