🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Connects
Page options
oscaralende
Community Member

Connects

I was thinking, since Upwork webinars are far and few between, and the ones I've assisted gave no ¨promo codes¨ or at least not to my knowledge, could we have something like contests or achievable rewards in order to get more connects?

I always see the ¨Promo code¨ field every time I buy connects and it really gives me an itch, because they are expensive little things, especially for newcomers, an account with lots of references will get work no matter what and probably does not even need to buy connects while new accounts need to buy more connects, this is kind of sad because the site is taking away more money through connects from little people instead of big time freelancers who don't even need connects, it's somewhat crazy.

If by the time connects started being charged I had not had 70 bucks in my account I would've never even consider buying any.

Idk, that's my thought.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Jerónimo Oscar A wrote:

If by the time connects started being charged I had not had 70 bucks in my account I would've never even consider buying any.

Considering that Upwork has far too many freelancers, don't you think that was kinda part of the plan?

Jerónimo Oscar A wrote:

his is kind of sad because the site is taking away more money through connects from little people instead of big time freelancers who don't even need connects, it's somewhat crazy.

The site is "taking away" a lot more money from the freelancers who earn well than those who don't.

You'd be hard pushed to spend as much on connects in a week as a successful freelancer pays Upwork in fees on an average day.

The idea of charging for connects is unlikely to be profit.(Although clearly extra money does not hurt.)

The idea is more likely to be reducing the number of ill thought out proposals clients get, and yes, self-limit surplus freelancers who have little to no chance of suceeding, but used to keep applying anyway because it was free. Now, chances are they'll eventually go away by themselves when they have spent enough money without seeing any return on their investment.

That is a good thing.

The site is "taking away" a lot more money from the freelancers who earn well than those who don't.

Yes, I'm aware of that, that's why I said ¨through connects¨ not money overall, that's obvious!

The idea is more likely to be reducing the number of ill thought out proposals clients get, and yes, self-limit surplus freelancers who have little to no chance of suceeding, but used to keep applying anyway because it was free. Now, chances are they'll eventually go away by themselves when they have spent enough money without seeing any return on their investment.

That is a good thing.

Yes, I get that and I'm not saying that connects should be free again, I was thinking about some contests or some other ways to get promo codes. l totally fit in that category! 😝

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members