🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects
Page options
a77045c6
Community Member

Connects

Hi everyone, 

I'm curious if anyone could let me know why some tasks required only 1 connect, but many tasks required 6 connects.

Thank you,

Apinia

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

As a freelancer or agency, you'll use Connects to Submit Proposals and let clients know you're interested in their project. You receive ten free Connects every month at the beginning of your billing cycle and bonuses for some interviews you win. We will send you a notification in Upwork (notification bell) and an email when you earn free Connects. For more information on how this works, check out our guide here.

To purchase Connects, go to Settings > Membership & Connects and click on the green 'Add More Connects' button. From there, select the amount to buy and click on the 'Buy Connects' button. Please note, that if you have sufficient funds on your Upwork balance, the charge will be applied to your Upwork balance. You can check out this help article to learn about the available Billing Methods.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

875 REPLIES 875
PradeepH

Hi Apinia,

Thank you for your message. We calculate the number of Connects needed based on the projected job value -- determined using estimated duration and budget amount -- as well as marketplace demand.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Oh, I see. Thank you for your clarification.

Hello Pradeep H,

My concern is that, I am not getting monthly 10 free connects. do you have reason and solution for that?

Thank you

giobertuol
Community Member

I know Upwork changed the way they give free Connects for interviews, but I have been invited to several jobs in the past month and none of them granted me Connects. This is very frustrating and should be reassessed.

Agree. They should not be giving them out at all. They should also stop refunding connects when the client closes the job without hiring.

yes agree ,great insight

muftiabdussalam
Community Member

How do I get free Upwork connections?

How can I buy an Upwork connection without a MasterCard?

I don't own a Mastercard. 

Hi Abdus, you receive ten free Connects every month at the beginning of your billing cycle and bonuses for some interviews you win. We will send you a notification in Upwork (notification bell) and an email when you earn free Connects. For more information on how this works, check out our guide here.

~Andrea
Upwork

How can a connection be purchased without a Mastercard?

My lack of a Mastar card

Hi Abdus,

To purchase Connects, go to Settings > Membership & Connects and click on the green 'Add More Connects' button. From there, select the amount to buy and click on the 'Buy Connects' button. Please note, that if you have sufficient funds on your Upwork balance, the charge will be applied to your Upwork balance. If not, the full amount will be charged to your primary billing method. You can check out this help article for more information.

~Andrea
Upwork
8f1acab3
Community Member

I have been outbid on several propasals I have sent. While I am getting the notifications that my connects (which I used to boost my proposal) have been refunded, the number of connects I have are exactly the same.

Does it take time to be refunded? 

Hi Saadia,

You can check your Connects credits and debits by going to Reports > Connects History. If you can't see the Connects you're referring to on that page, do let us know so we can assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8f1acab3
Community Member

no, they are not appearing there. Although I did get the notification of them being refunded my connects remained the same.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Saadia, 

I checked your Connects History and see that you were refunded for these here, here, and here. It also looks like while you boosted proposals to some jobs and were refunded, you also sent out proposals and boosted these. Upon checking, it does seem like your Connects balance did not change, but the charges to your balance even out when you add the Connects that were refunded. You can click on each entry on your Connects History to understand transactions better. 

If you think the calculation needs to be corrected, let us know, and we can ask a member of the Upwork Support team to reach out to you.

~ Avery
Upwork
8f1acab3
Community Member

Hi. Yes please I think the calculations need to be corrected. I had 30 connects after applying to all jobs last week. About 23 connects had to be refunded as my proposals were outbid. While I did get the notification that they had been refunded, my connects remained at 30. Only my monthly connects (10) were added today. Please see to this. Thankyou.

Hi Saadia,

Thank you for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
b4d3954a
Community Member

Sorry I got to say, having just signed up as a new user, this "connect" system is one of the worst systems I've ever come across.

I tried to make my first bid after setting everything up, and only then was told that I needed these. And the only way I could find out what the heck these were was external through a google search (your app couldn't even be bothered to explain it to me!).

Considering you take a cut of every job we take, it baffles me what you were thinking by setting this up. Frankly I don't even feel comfortable paying you money before even getting work. Everything about that screams scam.

If I'd known about this early on I wouldn't have invested my time setting up an account, and I doubt I'm alone.

Thanks for wasting my time, although I doubt any of you care.

655be748
Community Member

Thanks for your information, I wanted to ask one question, If my connects are consumed and jobs are not closed, so what can be the solution to this ?, Is there any solution available ?

Regards.

Hi Faraz,

If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. In this situation, we continue to encourage the client to hire or close the job, but ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

~ Nikola
Upwork
655be748
Community Member

Dear Nikola S:

What happens to the Connects of a new member on a freelancing platform if they haven't received any projects yet and their account is empty, but their Connects have been spent and captured by clients who don't clear their job in either a close or pending status?

Hi Faraz,

As Nikola said, the Connects are not returned in these cases. However, if you have applied for a job and it’s no longer available because of a violation or wasted Connects on a job proposal that turns out to be fraud, we will return your Connects. In these cases, Connects are credited back to your account for reuse.

Please read this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork

Dear Faraz,

i saw your post and my quistion is the same  

Hi Andrea,

Can you answer this question?

Kindly answer the quesiton, as I am not having more connects , I have submitted all on the proposals.

Regards.

Connects are considered a business expense. If you need more Connects, you can buy more or wait for the next free ones included in your monthly membership plan.

Thank you so much Sopie A:

What happens to the Connects of a new member on a freelancing platform if they haven't received any projects yet and their account is empty, but their Connects have been spent and captured by clients who don't clear their job in either a close or pending status?

Warm regards. 

Hi saadia:

Important question from your side, it takes time to refund. You will have to wait for the job to close.

In contination to your question I want to add some thing, If my connects are consumed and jobs are not closed, so what can be the solution to this ?,  Is there any solution available ?

I want to ask it from Luiggi R (Upwork).

Regards

They have already answered you several times.
Why do you ask the same thing over and over again when you have already received the answer?
Maybe you should take the ACADEMY courses because I'm afraid you don't know how the platform works.
If you need more connects, you need to buy them.
Once you have sent a proposal, forget about the spent connects and if they return them to you, they are welcome and if they don't, as @Sophie A told you, it is a commercial expense and as such you must assume it.

AndreaG

Hi all,

As a freelancer or agency, you'll use Connects to Submit Proposals and let clients know you're interested in their project. You receive ten free Connects every month at the beginning of your billing cycle and bonuses for some interviews you win. We will send you a notification in Upwork (notification bell) and an email when you earn free Connects. For more information on how this works, check out our guide here.

To purchase Connects, go to Settings > Membership & Connects and click on the green 'Add More Connects' button. From there, select the amount to buy and click on the 'Buy Connects' button. Please note, that if you have sufficient funds on your Upwork balance, the charge will be applied to your Upwork balance. You can check out this help article to learn about the available Billing Methods.

~Andrea
Upwork
67f1d16e
Community Member

Hi Andrea, I tried buying Connects with my MasterCard but my card was declined. What did I do wrong? 

Hi Agnes,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your request and reach out to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi all,

What is support ticket?
af45c83c
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

My connects are expiring each month and now I am left with 3 connects only. Can you please tell me how can I get back my connects or should I have to purchase?

Thanks,

Hi Hamid,

Connects are not earned back after your use them to apply for jobs or to turn on your Availability Badge unless the job you applied to was taken down due to a ToS violation or the client closed the job without hiring.

You may purchase additional Connects if you want to continue applying for jobs.

~ AJ
Upwork
bb384f96
Community Member

My dear, Today I want to submit some job proposal but I can't any proposal submit because I have only 10 connects need above 10 connects. Ok, now I want to know that, If this month I don't submit any job proposal, then my connect balance will exist? and next month my connects balance will be 10+10 =20 connects? pls advice me.

Hi Khokon,

Yes, that's correct. If you do not use up all your existing Connects before the next month, you will have 20 Connects as your new balance after adding the 10 new Connects. This is assuming that none of your current Connects will expire before the next month. 

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you so much for your valuable answer and consultant.

Hey Andrea G,

Thank you for insights. This helped a lot. 

1554dd7c
Community Member

Good suggestion 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members