Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects

Community Leader
Russell T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
11 of 18

Rene K wrote:

Russell T wrote:

In my prior career I did all the hiring, so I can speak from personal experience. More is always better, there shouldn't even be a discussion on that. 

Try hiring on Upwork, we'll talk after.

And sorry, but there will be discussions on that. I don't want to browse through 50 applicants for a gig job. Especially through copy/pasted proposals.

To each their own I suppose. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 18

Russell T wrote:

I highly doubt the reason is because of clients are requesting less bids on their job post. 

Try hiring on Upwork and we'll talk later. I remember times when this was systematic. It's way, way, less the case now.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Jordon B Member Since: Jun 16, 2015
13 of 18

I don't particularly mind paying for the connects to be honest, I'm a fan of the new connect system overall, except where I'm losing connects for applying to proposals and then the client literally does nothing with it after making it.  If they cancel it I get my connects back, why don't I get them back if they effectively cancel it by making no hires and letting the posting expire?  It's not a failure on my part, they didn't just decide to go with someone else, they literally just make the post and then nothing.

Seems like just a cash grab to me.  

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
14 of 18

Russell T wrote:

I highly doubt the reason is because of clients are requesting less bids on their job post. Think about that for just a moment. If I was seeking someone to seeking to fill a position do I want 5 or 500k applicants. Hmmm I would say thats a no brainer. 

Not to mention, 5 or 500k doesn't ensure that the candidates are a good fit for the project. Period. So this just reduces the clients chance of finding the right fit and yet more jobs will go unfilled becasue of it. Just my opinion. 

I notice that you use the hypothetical "If I was seeking" rather than relating experience with this. Of course, everyone has different preferences, but this has been discussed here among people who have hired a lot of freelancers in the past, and there's been pretty much universal agreement that a huge number of proposals is a deterrent to hiring--especially when freelancers are casting wide nets and many of those proposals aren't targeted.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
15 of 18

Tiffany S wrote:

Of course, everyone has different preferences, but this has been discussed here among people who have hired a lot of freelancers in the past, and there's been pretty much universal agreement that a huge number of proposals is a deterrent to hiring--especially when freelancers are casting wide nets and many of those proposals aren't targeted.

I don't dispute that excessive proposals can be a deterrent to hiring, but limiting clients to 3 invitations per job is also a deterrent, so there must be other reasons for these changes besides looking out for clients' best interest.

16 of 18

I notice that you use the hypothetical "If I was seeking" rather than relating experience with this. Of course, everyone has different preferences, but this has been discussed here among people who have hired a lot of freelancers in the past, and there's been pretty much universal agreement that a huge number of proposals is a deterrent to hiring--especially when freelancers are casting wide nets and many of those proposals aren't targeted.

Sorry Tiffany, I did try and clarify my prior hiring experiences in following posts. That being said, sure. 5 well vetted candidates are great for some that need to fill a position/job. but that is not what UpWork is delivering to clients is it?  The only qualifier is that they paid a buck fifty in connects. That as a employer says nothing. Just far less of a choice of candidates. 

Ace Contributor
Chris P Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
17 of 18

...never mind....

Ace Contributor
Jordon B Member Since: Jun 16, 2015
18 of 18

I appreciate all the replies but honestly y'all are just discussing something I'm not really talking about.

I understand why connects cost money, and wanting to reduce the number of people just pasting buzzwords to make hiring easier.

I do not understand why I am being charged for connects on proposals that have ZERO activity.  Surely they can reduce the number of bids by charging for connects while also refunding those for proposals that see no activity.  Heck even if they only refunded for those with absolutely no activity that would return A LOT of connects to me. 

Basically they are incentivizing taking things off Upwork and then charging the freelancers that follow the rules for it by not returning connects for proposals with no activity or hires.

Charge more for connects for all I care, just don't steal them from me because you haven't figured out how to keep people on your platform.  While they're at it give top freelancers a break and lower fees OFF THE BAT so they can charge clients less and offset the increased cost of connects.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS