cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects

Matthew L Member Since: Nov 14, 2019
1 of 35

I just came back using Upwork and found out about "Connects", apparently I've beeing using my connects to users who don't bother declining proposals or closing jobs;
I've been withdrawing these proposal but a little to late (15days) and I'm not getting my Connects back.
Is there a way to earn these connects? Is the only way to purchase them? If applying to a job costs me nearly 0.10cents I start to doubt the profit I can make using your platform based on the numbers that actually replied to me.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
2 of 35

Matthew L wrote:

I just came back using Upwork and found out about "Connects", apparently I've beeing using my connects to users who don't bother declining proposals or closing jobs;
I've been withdrawing these proposal but a little to late (15days) and I'm not getting my Connects back.
Is there a way to earn these connects? Is the only way to purchase them? If applying to a job costs me nearly 0.10cents I start to doubt the profit I can make using your platform based on the numbers that actually replied to me.

Well I think connects have been around forever, but since I am relatively new I could be wrong about that.  It kind of shows that people didn't think much about them when they got so many free.

It doesn't matter if you withdraw your proposal, you don't get your connects back for that.  You only get your connects back if the client closes the job on their own without hiring or Upwork removes the job for some reason (likely a violation of the Terms of Service).  That's it.

Framed like that connects are paying for the oppurtunity to propose.

Another thing you have wrong is connects cost $0.15 per connect and it takes a minimum of 2 (I believe) to apply and some jobs, many jobs, take as many as 6.

3 of 35

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your quick reply, 
I've been using Upwork for over a year and never encountered this problem when appling to a job,
If the only way to get Connects back is paying for them, with all due respect this looks like exploiting the countless people who are looking for a job, Upwork gave me work and its fair it gets its fees around the money I make, It looks pretty unfair that you require me to pay for applying to jobs given the ratio of proposals sent/accepted.
Is there at least a basic gain over time for these "Connects"?

Thank you 

Matthew

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
BEST ANSWER
4 of 35

Not sure what you mean by 'gain over time'?

Connects have been around for well over a year, so im not sure how you have not encountered them, the only difference is that you dont get free connects each month anymore. 

I dont think the move to charge for them exploits anyone, but it may require more thought be put into which jobs to apply for in order to not waste them on jobs that people are not 100% suited to.

5 of 35

I understand the point, probably I've been appling myself for some jobs I'm not 100% suited for and it makes sense you have a connect system;

I never encountered this problem probably because I was not abusing the proposal, anyhow I am going to try purchasing some of these connects and see what their actual profit would be;

It actually makes more sense, if you would still earn some of these Connects back over a period,

in order to guarantee the user a minimum of proposal and work so that they could actually buy and invest in these connects. 
Anyway I think we both get the point and there is no need to argue further, 
Thank you for your help and clarification.

Cherie Ann G Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 35

Hi Matthew,

I want to follow up on your case since we're the same here in a sense.

I started Upwork around 2010 (it was still oDesk back then). Same thing with you, I never encountered this problem before with free connects because I never abused them. I applied only to jobs I know I have a perfect fit for - maybe not 100% but at least jobs and niches I have knowledge on. But with the paid connects, it's just not making sense on my end.

I purchased 80 connects for $12 and I have 8 left. I have used this sparingly and spread it around Data Entry and Writing/Editing jobs. Of all the proposals I sent, only 4 responded and I only got 2 fixed-rate jobs that are even lower than my actual rate. I just accepted them anyway rather than not having any income at all.

For me, I am on the losing end. I spent not just money but also time. I filter out the job postings that I think I have more chance of getting hired but never got a reply. The clients don't even take time to reject/close the job to at least get our connects back. Some jobs require 6 connect while most of them requires 4.

That happens even with my profile status: Top rated, 98%JSS, and with many good reviews. I don't know about others but I am just not getting my usual success in applying for jobs.

Keep me posted. I want to know how it went for you.

Thanks,

Cherie

7 of 35

Hi Cherie,

I fully understand why the connect system was brought in place.

This beeing said, I decided not to purchase connects: I did a little summary of well suited jobs that I applied to, based on non replies numbers\ sent request I see that it makes no sense to purchase any of these connects. I might be wrong but at this moment I don't have any source of income and I learned to distrust systems that require you to pay in order to find jobs.
I really should say and underline that Upwork helped me through some rough years giving me work when I could not locally find it. Only at this moment I don't see the convenience in buying tokens that would permit me to apply to jobs that have so few chance of hiring and give me profit.

Best of luck Cherie!

Cherie Ann G Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 35

I totally agree with you. There's an online job portal in the Philippines that doesn't require connects but they limit applications to 10 per day which, I think, is more helpful. Got a reply out of the 4 applications I sent out compared to the 4 replies I got out of my 80 connects. And that's not even JOBS; just replies and then never heard back from the client. Lesson learned here.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 35

Hi Michael, and Cherie, 

I undrestand why shifting to the new system maybe difficult for you. Submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business, and we ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

-Avery
Untitled
Bogna L Member Since: Dec 3, 2019
10 of 35

I also can understand why there is a connect system, but still I think connects should be free for newcomers just untill they get their first job. It's almost impossible to get your first job with only 20 connects! Especially when most of the clients looks at your JSS or ernings which you dont have on Upwork Smiley Sad There's so little jobs for newcomers and probably many newcomers to get them. I'm almost out of connects and still no first client... and I was choosing jobs very carefully.
There might be a limit of proposals sent at one time though.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS