🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects
Page options
matlow
Community Member

Connects

I just came back using Upwork and found out about "Connects", apparently I've beeing using my connects to users who don't bother declining proposals or closing jobs;
I've been withdrawing these proposal but a little to late (15days) and I'm not getting my Connects back.
Is there a way to earn these connects? Is the only way to purchase them? If applying to a job costs me nearly 0.10cents I start to doubt the profit I can make using your platform based on the numbers that actually replied to me.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not sure what you mean by 'gain over time'?

Connects have been around for well over a year, so im not sure how you have not encountered them, the only difference is that you dont get free connects each month anymore. 

I dont think the move to charge for them exploits anyone, but it may require more thought be put into which jobs to apply for in order to not waste them on jobs that people are not 100% suited to.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
stoikos
Community Member

Niina T wrote:

Also the Clients on Upwork are businesses, often much better off than us freelancers who just try to make few odd pennies here and there and end up even less after Upwork taking 20/10% of our income. So, for the sake of being only fair, why not roll some expenses on to Clients? That would also elevate the quality of the jobs while leaving out those who impulsively post a job and then forget about it. 

What comes to Connects. There are so many "abandoned" non-closed jobs hanging around here that it almost looks like Upwork has adviced Clients not to close the jobs so that freelancers would be wasting their Connects. It would be so easy to automatically close the jobs that the client hasn't checked for 2 weeks and no one has been hired, and reimburse the Connects to those who applied. If only Upwork wanted. 

This is just pure gold and needs to be taken seriously by Upwork. Freelancers are literally the only thing that keep this platform running at this point - if Upwork just keeps sucking us dry as much as they can, it's obvious that this won't last if they keep up this "wonderful strategy" of theirs - as if getting 20% from millions of individuals wasn't enough. There needs to be a bit of balance.

Totally agree with you in the clients part, I wish your voice be heard and
Upwork
Can solve this particular issue.
Have a good day.
Osama

I have the same issue, the only reply I got to I've done it successfuly, and got paid, other than this one I have no replay and connects weasted, and have no dollers to buy !!! 

would you please help ??

Hi Osama, 

I'm sorry to learn about your situation. I checked your Connects History and can see that some of the Connects you have used have been refunded for you. Connects cannot be purchased individually but it is sold in the following bundles:

• 10 for $1.50
  • 20 for $3
  • 40 for $6
  • 60 for $9
  • 80 for $12

Purchasing connects can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase connects with a credit card or prepaid card. Additionally, if you have a balance on Upwork you can use it to buy Connects. You may read more about it here

~ Avery
Upwork

I PAY for connects (and it's a lot of money for me everytime) but the jobs
I bidded on with my PAID CONNECTS, simply just close or expire with NO HIRE!!!
I want my connects back for those jobs!!! it's not fair that I pay for months now
to buy connects from you and most of the jobs I have bidded on just get my money!!!
and hire NOBODY!!! Why should I still buy connects??? why should I pay and pay
and not get hired??? what is this??? A SCAM to steal money from freelancers?????
Why don't you just penilize those clients/companies that just give out ads and hire
NOBODY!!! they should not be on this platform, also why are there so many companies
with the payment method not confirmed???? upWork seems to me like a big FRAUD!!!
and why do you guys take up to 6 connects for each proposal ??? that's WRONG!!!! I won't buy any more connects from you guys, to bid on jobs which get closed or expire with no HIRE!!!

I'm here to EARN MONEY not PAY MONEY!!!!!!!

Andrea F wrote:

I want my connects back for those jobs!!! it's not fair that I pay for months now
to buy connects from you and most of the jobs I have bidded on just get my money!!!
and not get hired??? what is this??? A SCAM to steal money from freelancers?????
Why don't you just penilize those clients/companies that just give out ads and hire
NOBODY!!! they should not be on this platform, also why are there so many companies
with the payment method not confirmed???? upWork seems to me like a big FRAUD!!!
and why do you guys take up to 6 connects for each proposal ??? that's WRONG!!!! I won't buy any more connects from you guys, to bid on jobs which get closed or expire with no HIRE!!!

I understand you are upset. Take a breath. It is probably better for you to go to a different platform. If you have been bidding on so many jobs and not getting any response, then you are likely not competitive enough to get hired. Rather than waste your money on connects, you should move on to a platform where you can find work. 

FWIW, you pay for connects to apply, not to get hired. You have know way of knowing if clients hired or not or the reason they don't hire. But whatever they reason they don't hire, the reason they didn't hire you is because you weren't a fit for their job or your proposal didn't stand out to them. 

The connects system and policy is what it is. It was clear when you signed up. All you can do at this point is ask whether or not this works for you. It sounds like it does not, and that's okay. A lot of people are not suited to Upwork but find success on other platforms. Maybe that's you too. You could also critically examine your profile, portfolio, and proposals and see if you are wasting your connects because they aren't optimized, and then optimize them and try again to submit some proposals. Maybe you still have the opportunity to find work here. 

But no, connects are not a scam. Upwork is not a scam. It is a competitive global marketplace, and a lot of freelancers who sign up never earn a dollar. Starting a business, which freelancing is, costs money. You have to invest in it. And one of the biggest investments any business, whether online or not, will make is client acquisition. I can tell you it's much cheaper to use Upwork than when I did all the work myself. 

Amanda L said:

A lot of people are not suited to Upwork but find success on other platforms.

There aren't many other platforms, as far as I can tell. There is Fiverr, but I think the pay is a lot lower there. Upwork seems to be the only place where freelancers in North America or Europe can make enough to live on.

Paid connects are a good idea, because it stops clients being inundated with hundreds of proposals from unsuitable freelancers who have nothing to lose by applying for every job they see.

Furthermore, Upwork gives freelancers free connects in proportion to the amount of replies they get from clients, regardless of whether they end up hiring them. So you get quite a few of your connects back if you apply for jobs where the client at least considers you enough of a match to interview you.

Online platforms are not the only way to find clients. There is also the old fashioned ways of networking and doing your own marketing or cold calling. In the way of other platforms, I have found clients on LinkedIn and social media as well. It's a little bit riskier, but it's a method that doesn't cost connects. However it may cost in other ways, including money.

I think Andrea would do better to optimize her profile and proposals. Her profile is sparse and generic. It does not stand out at all. It's likely or at least possible her proposals are similarly generic, and therefore they do not attract clients to respond to her.

Most of the time if every client is not responding it's a combination of poorly chosen job to apply to, poorly written proposal, and nonoptimized profile. If any of those is out, I'd fix myself before telling someone else to change the system for me.

It dont make sense fi 20 people are applying for same job with same required skill and clint will not hire each person what about 19 who did not get hire. They not only lose job but also extra money that they spend on buying connects. So you guys just making more money from people without giving them more jobs.

Yes, a very important issue.

Andrea F wrote:

PAY more attention to your profile. It does not reflect that you have studied German an English language and literature.

Seems like your English isn't so good either Jennifer R ... pot / kettle.
What about the latest "incentive" from upwork? 'Boosting'! That needs a good dose of looking at! Upwork really needs to favour its freelancers and not its clients.

Andrea F wrote:

The system is unlikely to change. That means that you must decide for yourself. Given that some clients will post requests for proposals and then not hire anyone, do you still wish to invest your time and money submitting proposals? Is there a better way for you to find gigs that would cost you less? 
Upwork is without a doubt a pay-to-play system with significant front-end risks. Whether you continue to purchase connects is a business decision. 

I have had several fraudulent jobs be removed and I have not seen my connects come back to my account. Is there someone who can check on that for me?

Hi Jo,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience so far. I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members