Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connects

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 33

Lera M wrote:
First of all this job is only for one person, also it was really urgent request, that’s why it seems quite suspicious. I don’t claim for hundred percent that upwork did it on purpose but I think there can be error and I don’t want to take customers data, but I do want to have an opportunity to ask a human and check if something went wrong.

I recently posted a job looking for one person, but found two good prospects and knew I would have more similar work in the future, so hired both of them to try them out. I'm not saying that's what happened with the job you're talking about, just that it's an example of why things may not look like you're expecting as it plays out.

If it was "urgent," the client may have decided to hedge his bets by hiring an extra person for back-up, or may have decided to split up the work. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 33

Lera M wrote:
First of all this job is only for one person, also it was really urgent request, that’s why it seems quite suspicious. I don’t claim for hundred percent that upwork did it on purpose but I think there can be error and I don’t want to take customers data, but I do want to have an opportunity to ask a human and check if something went wrong.

Bid and move on. Most freelancers lose a lot more than they win jobs. It's just part of the game. I lose to other bidders all the time. Sometimes, people respond to me and I don't even remember what I bid on. It's best to separate your emotions from these things and just bid and forget about it unless they contact you. There will be plenty of disappointment on Upwork for you, but you have to just remember it's not personal.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
13 of 33

Lera M wrote:
I was checking this persons profile all the time and then suddenly he closes it with 2 hires, without any invites or interviews sent. 

You don't know, and don't care, if the client invited or interviewed anyone. They hired someone and closed the job? Okay, move on. Connects are not refunded, this is how this platform works. There are other platforms that work differently, but this is how Upwork operates.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
7bc94137
Lera M Member Since: Feb 7, 2020
14 of 33
I actually care, I want to know my rights and how this works. Prefer not to be blind. After writing to this community I definitely learnt some new things which is good. So I guess I will think now about using Upwork or not. Still thanks everyone that you are so active, although no answer on how to contact real human yet, I’m gonna close this conversation and consider other options too .
gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
15 of 33

This conversation is as close as you are going to get to contacting a real human about your issue.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 33
Lera M wrote:
I’m gonna close this conversation and consider other options too .

Someone starting out at Upwork should most definitely consider other options. But back to this job you mentioned, only the client knows for sure, but there can be an innocent explanation for 2 freelancers being hired. If the job actually was urgent, then the client might have wanted a backup, in case the client's first choice didn't work out for some reason. One of the Community's most active participants routinely hires more than one freelancer at a time, and pays all of them, but only uses the work he likes best.

ETA: I somehow overlooked Tiffany’s reply, and thus reiterated her main points. But at least it confirms her explanation.
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 33

re: "although no answer on how to contact real human yet"

?
Every Forum participant is a real human.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
18 of 33
Except for those of us who are aliens or bots.
t_um
Tom U Member Since: May 21, 2019
19 of 33
😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
dyumnin
Ace Contributor
Vijayvithal J Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
20 of 33

@tiffany,
Is it guaranteed that the connect will be returned if a job is closes without any hire? Does it happen automatically or should I raise a ticket? I have lost around 50 connects in the past few months on (closed) jobs where the client never hired anyone...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS