🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Connects
Page options
hoverlyn
Community Member

Connects

Why connects didn't refund when the job post is closed or expired? even the client did not hire anyone.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

573 REPLIES 573

Edgar Allan M wrote:

I'm confused at this one. Why is there no policy that connect will return if my application is declined? I have three declined this week costs 18 connects in total. It's absurd that I'm not getting those back.

When you send a letter and the recipient doesn't reply, do you get the stamps back? No, you don't.

Connects are a cost of doing business.

Hope you all are doing well...I need to know about the connects I had in my account. I have 20 connect in the month of June but now I only left with 1 connect. I didn't send any proposal to a client in this meantime. Please let me know if someone had faced such type of issue.

Hi Muhammad,

It looks like you spent your connects sending proposals to a few projects two months ago. YOU can check this under your Connects History. 

If you feel like you need more connects to send more proposals, feel free to purchase more. This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. Check the options available to you and learn more about the acceptable billing methods for paying memberships.

~ Bojan
Upwork
95d868d3
Community Member

Hello,

My proposals for the jobs posted a month ago are still active, the Client neither canceled nor closed the job. I loose my connects and if I withdraw I will also never receive back my connects.

I have paid for the connects. Is this fair way to cooperate?

Best regards,

Lilit

If you promote your business online, or pay for your internet, is it fair that these service providers charge money? 

Why is it unfair when upwork does it? Why should upwork be free? 

Thank you for your comment Martina.

I pay for the internet and I use it. I pay for the connects and waste them as sometimes (more often) the Clients do not cancel or close the jobs if they hired someone and the job is completed (or for other reasons).

Upwork is not free, it has  % income out of each contract. It should not be free, I agree, and it is not free.

Very Poor experince in terms of Connects. You guys are driving freelancers out in trying to earn extra money.

It may fill your coffers but not good for average freelancers like me. That's why I have switched to Fiverr.

What determines the Connects required? One job of $5-$10 required 6 Connects! What is this nonsense.

How these connects are calculated for the Jobs? Bring transparency than trying to loot freelancers.

You are seeing influx of Freelancers due to Covid and trying to benefite from that.

I recieve very minimal Invitation, most of the jobs takes 6 connects. even though I am a Top Rated.

I will request you to bring transparency to connects used for a Project. Do not try to scam us.

c8faea37
Community Member

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062898-Understanding-and-Using-Connects

I received +10 connects for the creation of my membership.
+40 connects for the Upwork readiness test.

But I have not received the +40 connects for registering as listed in the link.

Hi Aaron,

I checked and it looks like you created your account a few years ago. Please note that this 40 Connects award was not in effect back then.

~Andrea
Upwork
c8faea37
Community Member

I created that account as a client which doesn't use connects.

I registered as a Freelancer today which does use connects.

Are you saying I should have deleted my client account, then made a new account, instead of just registering as a freelancer?

Despite having passed the billing cycle date, why have I yet not received 10 free connects. It's been more than a day now

Hi Eman,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your monthly free Connects are deposited every 14th of the month UTC. If you don't have it by June 15 UTC, please let us know so we can further assist you.

~ AJ
Upwork
8d0a55aa
Community Member

I got refunded 6 connects for Connects Award and another 4 connects as Awarded Connects. How does that happen?

Hi Joy James S

That is because you submit a proposal before and now the client respond to your proposal (interview)

Thanks. 

I read an Article about Connects Awards, but it doesn't say about earning Connects if a Client simply responds to a proposal.

• You’ll receive free Connects (the number can vary) when you win an interview with an established client on Upwork. 
  • If you’ve been awarded Connects for winning an interview, you might notice some are issued as refunds. That’s because when you get the 10 Connects for winning an interview, some of those are the Connects you used to submit your proposal for the job. Those Connects are refunded and then we add the rest as awarded Connects. For example, if you used 6 Connects to submit a proposal and win an interview, you’ll see 6 Connects “refunded” and 4 “awarded.”
  • https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062898-Understanding-and-Using-Connects

Or is a client's response to a proposal already an equivalent to 'winning an interview'? 

But you are actually correct, I got the additional connects after I received a response for my submitted proposal. I just don't see any article to understand this Connects rule.

It happend because you submited a proposal and the client replied you back so the 6 connects you have spent to apply for the project got refunded and 4 extra connects also got added as a reward from upwork,

83a81ec2
Community Member

I wonder if I can receive or send connects to friend ? If yes please let me know how.  Thanks

No such feature is available as of now.

Why upwork did not back my connects?

You don't get your connects back if jobs expire or if the client hires somebody else. 

Hi Christine, 

Thanks for your replay.

Upwork should return connects if client doesn't hire anyone.

A lot of clients posting job but didn't hire. In that case I upwork should return connects.

Also upwork should not allow job posting from a client whose payment is not verified. Some client post job for testing purpose and most of the cases they do not hire.

So I think Upwork should return connects if client doesn't hire anyone. 

If upwork do not return connect then we should stop applying because it ruins our money.

Thanks 

Md Tofazzal H wrote:

Hi Christine, 

Thanks for your replay.

Upwork should return connects if client doesn't hire anyone.

A lot of clients posting job but didn't hire. In that case I upwork should return connects.

Also upwork should not allow job posting from a client whose payment is not verified. Some client post job for testing purpose and most of the cases they do not hire.

So I think Upwork should return connects if client doesn't hire anyone. 

If upwork do not return connect then we should stop applying because it ruins our money.

Thanks 

Noted.

Interesting suggestion of Christine. It would improve Upwork, although I already like the connect system. Well-thought-out. This would make it even better.

Marie-Claire A wrote:

Interesting suggestion of Christine. It would improve Upwork, although I already like the connect system. Well-thought-out. This would make it even better.

I didn't suggest this, and I don't support it. You do realise that if you have more connects, everyone else also has more connects, so it will only increase the competition for each job post?

I am little bit confused that why i am not getting the connect for closed job. They didn't hire anyone and today it showed that job is close but i didnt get back any connect for that job.
**Edited for Community Guidelines**
this the job for which i didn' get any connect back.
Help me if you can
Thank You

Hi MD Rakibul,

Connects are only refunded when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Feel free to check out this help article to learn more about Connects.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

hello
 i always submit many proposals and i lost many Connects
for nothing they are not answer and sometimes i got this (Job is closed)
so how can i Recover my Connects ??

Hi Faisal,

Please note that Connects may only be returned if a project is canceled by the client without making a hire or if a job post has been removed by Upwork for a Terms of Service violation. For the jobs you have applied to, I can confirm that there are no Connects to be refunded. You can check this help article to learn more.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

ohhh i see thank you sooooo much

Why don't I get back connects when the client just ignores my request? It's hard for newbies, I apply - they ignore it, and I'm left with nothing. It seems to me that if the client does not respond, for some time you should return to freelancers connects!

Hi Denys,

I have the same thoughts, I have sent 30+ proposal since my last contract was over, and got none, the good thing is few of them replied and that gave back 10 Connects for each.

Actually, clients have the option to close the job they posted, if they do, we will get our Connects back, but most of them don't use it.

I hope in the future Upwork may add an automated option to pay back Connects for ignored/rejected proposals.

Kamarudheen C wrote:  We will also get the Connects back if the job is expired.

No, you do not get connects back when a job post expires.

I'm sorry, I used to get the notification like "A job that you submitted a proposal for, .......... has been closed or has expired. Your proposal has been archived" so I thought it is applied for both.

*Updated my Reply  🙂

Kamarudheen C wrote:

I'm sorry, I used to get the notification like "A job that you submitted a proposal for, .......... has been closed or has expired. Your proposal has been archived" so I thought it is applied for both.

Where in that notification does it mention anything about getting your connects back? All it says is that the job post is no longer active.

Hi Every One
Have a Good Day.
i want to ask that i have withdrawal 10 of my Proposals can i have back my Connects Back.

No. Connects are refunded in two situations: (1) client closes the job without hiring anyone, or (2) UW closes the job due to a ToS violation. In either of those two circumstances your connects are automatically refunded.

Hello!

Some job postings for which I submitted a proposal had expired and the connects didn't come back to me. I checked and these jobs didn't have any hire. So I wanted to know the reason why the connects were not returned.

The job names are

- Graphic Designer / Brand Designer, (6 connects)

- Clothing brand Design - Illustrator/ Designer needed (4 connects)

- Graphic designer needed for a trendy magazine (2 connects)

Thanks in advance!

Hello Maria Angeles,

Unfortunately and according to Upwork, connects are not returned if the job expires:

• If a project is canceled by the client without making a hire, the Connects used on that proposal will be returned to the freelancer or agency. This does not apply to expired job posts.

That has been my experience as well. The client needs to cancel the project for connects to be returned. You can check the full article here.

Have a nice day!

Hi there,

A few days ago I got notification of these two [ONE, TWO] jobs closing, which I had applied for. As far as I can see, neither hired a freelancer. Yet I did not get my connects back. Can anyone explain to me why that is? From my understanding, a freelancer gets their connects refunded if a job closes without any hires.

Babar S wrote:

From my understanding a freelancer gets their connects refunded if a job closes without any hires.

Only if the client procatively closed it. Not if it expired after 30 days. Those two expired. As connects are returned automatically, the fact that you didn't get them back means they expired. You can also see they are more than 1 month old, so more proof they expired.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members