Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constructive criticism on profile

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
11 of 24

No worries, Maliki, it is your profile, handle it as you see fit. :-)

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 24

Maliki, you asked for constructive criticism, but you seem a little defensive when it is given. 

Cathleen is right. You do have far too many unnecessarily capitalized words and some incorrectly hyphenated words. It isn't a question of whether you agree with her or not. Stylistically and grammatically, they are incorrect. There are other small grammatical glitches which if you corrected, would make your overview more fluent and easier to  read.

fluentinspanish
Community Leader
Mikila S Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
13 of 24

Hi. Lol. Not at all defensive.

Maybe that's how you interpreted my writing.

I actually did go through and re-read my overview keeping in mind what Cathleen said.

You now also re-affirmed some things that she mentioned, so I am going to have another look again.

protoman_2k
Ace Contributor
Rejith P Member Since: Sep 13, 2015
14 of 24

If I were you, probably I would start my response with a "Thank You" note as well.

I believe the community members are helping you in improving your profile by reading through it and providing feedback and it's a help not an obligation. So a little word of thanks would definitely help. My couple of cents...

fluentinspanish
Community Leader
15 of 24

Hi Rejith

I actually did in my initial post, but I see where you're coming from.

I am aware that persons are opting to provide feedback and that it isn't obligatory.

I think maybe my writing comes off as being defensive but I'm  fine with the constructive criticism.

My disagreeing with someone or expressing a different view, does not mean that I do not value/appreciate the person's feedback or have not considered it.

cclapper
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
16 of 24

To add to what Nichola said, you have to remember that you are trying to make a good impression on clients. Your personal preferences are something different. If you want to get work writing resumés for a client, it is imperative that your grammar and spelling are correct. And I think you want to create a good initial impression with your profile. It's looking pretty good, just some minor tweaks!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 24

Oh my goodness, my profile is certainly not about "me" as a whole person!

And it certainly is not an attempt to reflect my personal preferences, convey what is most meaningful to me, or tell my life story.

My profile is carefully crafted and calculated to make money. It is meant to sell a product to potential clients.

My profile is not a lie. It's all true. And I wouldn't be able to convey the enthusiasm I convey for my chosen specialty if it wasn't genuine.

But my profile is not the "whole truth" about me, and never should be. And it certainly isn't the place for me to apply a unique brand of spelling, capitalization, punctuation or grammar.

fluentinspanish
Community Leader
18 of 24

Hi Cathleen, I made lots of changes to it taking into account the suggestions you and Corey put foward and  especially what Nichola said about the overview.

I'm curious about the spelling and grammar part- I'm used to writing based on the UK English system-for eg. coloUr vs color, so is it these kinds of spelling errors that you are referencing?

I'll go through the profile again or maybe I should take a break from it and come back later.

I'll probably see better. Lol.

Thanks all! Smiley Happy

corey-hanson
Ace Contributor
Corey H Member Since: Sep 14, 2015
19 of 24

It's definitely much more clear and professional now! Smiley Happy

And it's not that intern has a negative connotation persay, it just came off as grasping for things to write on experience since everyone interns at one point or another with or without relevant skills being used.

fluentinspanish
Community Leader
20 of 24

Gotcha! Thanks!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS