cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact info sharing policy

Highlighted
Muhammad S Member Since: May 15, 2019
11 of 20

Sometimes upwork call just don't work can we suggest client that we can use skype and share Skype ID?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 20

Yes, you may use Skype to communicate. There is no rule against that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
13 of 20

Newbie question: are there any circumstances in which it is permitted to have contact information on your profile? I have seen profiles where contact information is posted in the portfolio, and flagged the profile but nothing happens so I think there may perhaps be exceptions from this?

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
14 of 20

Hi Annette,

You can't include your contact information on your profile. Please send me a PM and include the link to the freelancer profile you are referring to so I can check with the team? Thanks!

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
15 of 20

You can change your notivication settings if you click on your name on the top right, choose "Settings" and then go to "Notification Settings" at the bottom of the list on the left.

Like Preston already explained, it is absolutely okay to exchange alternative contact methods with clients. I  always have a sentence in my cover letting saying that I am happy to discuss their project further via Upwork messages, Skype or email at their convenience.

I would however make sure to not delete any communication that was done outside of Upwork before and after hiring in case of any misunderstandings or a possible dispute, just to make sure. Skype calls etc. are bit tricky in this regards, some people record them for this purpose (or also to listen to them again in case they think they have missed any details), but if you do, make sure to ask the other party if they are okay with this recording beforehand.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
16 of 20

I applied for an 'urgent' translation today. One of the boxes said to provide a skype contact. I put (politely) that I did not give my Skype number until asked to interview.

However 'urgent' the job is, it has not been awarded. Or maybe it has, but not on Upwork. I know it is ok to give contact information once a job has been awarded and at interview stage, but surely not before? I can't find this information in the ToS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
17 of 20

Your cover letter can include:

• Your Upwork Profile URL
  • Upwork Profile Portfolio Items
  • Your website URL
  • Your email address (though that's not recommended)
  • Skype ID (better to only provide if they ask for it)

I don't include anything but web URLS in my Cover Letters, unless a client asks for my Skype ID.

Typically clients who do the above have concerns about:

1) Language skills (maybe they have been burned before)

2) Voice quality (specially for client facing jobs)

3) Professional speaking manner

These are jobs that require weekly meetings and interaction with teams. So I'm fine "proving" I've got the Skype thing covered.

Obviously, this not going to be same for all jobs out there. Like Preston says, it depends on the job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
18 of 20

Thanks Pandora,

So I think I have lost out on that one!

Highlighted
waleed k Member Since: Sep 20, 2016
19 of 20

Thank you so much easy understandable answer .

Highlighted
maria f Member Since: Jan 20, 2016
20 of 20
A lot of scam employer will invite you for interview in Google hangout, give you briefing about the company and proceed with the interview, after that they ask your details saying for proper documentations.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS