🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contact information allowed in proposals?
Page options
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Contact information allowed in proposals?

The other day, somebody posted that they were including their personal website URL in their proposals and I suggested that it would be against the TOS because this would allow clients to contact them outside of Upwork. Several people corrected me and said that freelancers ARE allowed to include contact information in proposals, just not on their profiles.

Well, I just posted a bid in which I suggested that a client might want to speak on Skype in order to clarify some aspects of their job. I didn't even give them my Skype username or any other contact info, but the mere mention of the word "Skype" triggered this warning message: "Make sure that your proposal does not include your contact information. By keeping your conversations on Upwork, you'll be able to better substantiate your claims if a dispute with a client arises. You'll also help our security systems protect your account from phishing, malware, and scams."

So, could somebody please clarify - am I allowed to give out contact info in my proposals, or not? And if Skype conversations are allowed, then why did I get this warning message?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Christine,

While we recommend keeping all or at least all the important communication and terms on Upwork, it's not against the ToS to share contact information in proposals or in Messages. Contact information on profiles and job postings isn't allowed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork ToS places no limits on what types of contact information you can include in proposals.

Are there places where you might be shown warnings?

Yes.

But the warnings are for newbies or people who aren't familiar with Upwork rules and procedures.

As long as you know what is allowed, you can safely ignore the warnings that programmers have caused to appear sometimes when you mention Skype or type out a phone number, etc.

Preston H wrote:

Upwork ToS places no limits on what types of contact information you can include in proposals.

Are there places where you might be shown warnings?

Yes.

But the warnings are for newbies or people who aren't familiar with Upwork rules and procedures.

As long as you know what is allowed, you can safely ignore the warnings that programmers have caused to appear sometimes when you mention Skype or type out a phone number, etc.

The exact wording is, "Make sure that your proposal does not include your contact information."  There's nothing ambiguous about that statement. If they merely wanted to warn people, why not say something like, "We don't advise giving out your contact information." But it doesn't say that - it says MAKE SURE THAT YOU DON'T.

I would have been including my website URL all along, had I known that it was safe to ignore this "warning". 

So, thanks for your response, Preston, but I'd really like to hear from somebody at Upwork as to why they're saying this if it's not actually true.

Upwork moderator Goran said in this thread:

"You can include your personal contact information in your proposal. You're not allowed to include them on your profile."

I think Upwork Forum moderators have been consistent in their explanation of this policy.

Preston H wrote:

Upwork moderator Goran said in this thread:

"You can include your personal contact information in your proposal. You're not allowed to include them on your profile."

I think Upwork Forum moderators have been consistent in their explanation of this policy.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but again, I think that I have a valid question and would like an answer from Upwork.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Christine,

While we recommend keeping all or at least all the important communication and terms on Upwork, it's not against the ToS to share contact information in proposals or in Messages. Contact information on profiles and job postings isn't allowed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Christine,

Thanks Valeria, but in that case, I would recommend changing this warning. I've been taking it at face value for years.

Christine A wrote:

Thanks Valeria, but in that case, I would recommend changing this warning. I've been taking it at face value for years.

Which may be what they want.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Miss Valeria, 

Thanks for your clearification, 
Finally we can share the contact in Job proposal ? (If i am not wrong) Please clear 
As you Said only this is against the policy when some one posted in 'Job Sharing' or 'Profile' ?

Hi Muhammad,

Sharing contact information in your proposals or messages before a contract starts is no longer allowed. You may want to check this post about a recent update to our Terms of Service. This is just another step we are taking to better ensure Upwork is a safe environment and our users are protected.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I see this as well in writing proposals, but it's a friendly warning to be careful. Nothing more. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths