🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contact on hold, earnings refunded
Page options
sergey_pro
Community Member

Contact on hold, earnings refunded

Recently I have completed a small job with a client from Canada. I worked with the hourly rate of $25/h and it took me a little more than 10hours but I agreed to log 10hours on my work diary. That was for the clients budget.

Client didn't finish the contract after I finished the job saying that he is planning to continue working on the project. He said he would hire me again. And I thought it was not bad to keep the contract as it was an hourly job and the payment would be safe under Upwork's hourly pay system.

Then eventually I got an email from Upwork last week saying that the contract is on hold. I searched on this forum for what could be the reason and learned that it is somehow related with client's payment methods. I was about to post a question here then, but didn't thinking that it was not need to ask the same question again and again.

I contacted the client and asked what happened. He told me that his boss's credit card had not enough balance and he would solve the problem a few days later. I was never worried about anything since my earnings are already in reivew/pending state. Thought everything would be straightened.

What actually happened: I got an email from upwork all of a sudden saying that the whole earnings from the client was refunded. And what's more? There was no one reason why it happened.

Come on. Can you believe this? I have worked and completed the task and the money is all gone back to that f**ker?

This is what you said 'An hour worked is an hour billed?'

Is there a way to change this?

3 REPLIES 3
sergey_pro
Community Member

I can't believe how come it's possible to refund is done without my agreement or awareness.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sergey,

Unfortunately, when the client fails to pay for hours logged by the freelancer, any hours that aren't covered by Upwork Hourly Protection may be reversed. 

The team will be reaching out to you directly via email with more information about your specific account.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Sergey S wrote:

. And I thought it was not bad to keep the contract as it was an hourly job and the payment would be safe under Upwork's hourly pay system.

Come on. Can you believe this? I have worked and completed the task and the money is all gone back to that f**ker?

This is what you said 'An hour worked is an hour billed?'

The money did not "go back to the client"

The client never paid it in the first place and your hours did not qualify for protection (did you use manual time?) Had your hours qualified, Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket.

If the client comes back, sorts out their problem, and gets unsuspended, they can pay you as a bonus.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members