🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contact on hold
Page options
oleksakrasnova
Community Member

Contact on hold

Hello community,

Today I received the notification that my contact is on hold and that I have to stop any work on it.

Today is a deadline for this project. The client has a final presentation and I have to finish it.

What should I do and how long it will take?

Thank you in advance,
Oleksandra
4 REPLIES 4
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Oleksandra,

I'm sorry to hear about your contract status. While we can't share any details, please ask your client to follow up on the notification they recently received and communicate with our team in order to resolve the issue with their account and resume your contract. Make sure to stop working on this contract and continue only after you can see that the contract has been resumed.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Today I received the notification that my contact is on hold and that I have to stop any work on it. Today is a deadline for this project. The client has a final presentation and I have to finish it. What should I do and how long it will take?"

Clients are responsible for maintaining valid payment methods. This is NOT rocket science. You basically need to provide a valid credit card.

If a client REALLY has an important deadline, then that client is going to make sure he provides a valid payment method.

I would NOT advise a freelancer to work for free for a client, even if the client has a "compelling story."

Think about it this way:

What if your daughter was getting married? What if you wanted this special day to be perfect for her? You agreed to buy the wedding cake. But wedding cakes cost a lot of money. In an effort to save money, would you provide a cancelled credit card? Would you tell the wedding cake shop that you can't actually pay the deposit in advance, even though they require the deposit? Would you tell them how important this day is to your daughter? Or would you make sure they had their money?

Just for information.

The client was required for verification (photo+card, bank approvals, etc).

So it's not the case with "wedding example" since client was required for these additional steps after one week of active work on the project.

It's a question to the Upwork team why they don't require it in the beginning during the card registration... And why now?

Oleksandra

Preston H wrote:

Clients are responsible for maintaining valid payment methods. This is NOT rocket science. You basically need to provide a valid credit card.

If a client REALLY has an important deadline, then that client is going to make sure he provides a valid payment method.

Preston, you absolutely must stop wildly guessing why something is happening and then posting your guesses as facts. Claiming in a public forum that someone's client has not provided a valid payment method is offensive (and wrong in this case) and can lead to serious problems between a freelancer and a client.

A "not valid payment method" (or rather, a DECLINED payment method, which is likely what you mean but what is something different altogether) is one of many reasons why a contract would become suspended. On a Wednesday it (a declined payment method) is usually not the reason.

Plus, the contract would not have been active in the first place if there had been no valid payment method.

Plus that payment method can be a PayPal account, not just a credit card.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members