🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contact outside UpWork - do I go ahead with t...
Page options
emailforcoffey
Community Member

Contact outside UpWork - do I go ahead with the interview?

So, here's the situation:

1. I replied to an invitation to interview

2. Client agreed to an initial Zoom call (through the Upwork Zoom function), which is scheduled later today

3. I supplied some pre-call questions via UpWork messenger this morning (topics for the call, etc)
4. As part of this I mentioned we'd need to work out how to price in tax/VAT via the UpWork contract (we're both in Spain, so there's a slightly complex situation here) if we started a contract.
5. Client *emails me* to answer some of the questions, and also mentions they would be happy to work off platform if desired. (I had not shared my email address, they must have found me via linked in or something?)

I haven't responded to the email, as I understand it would be a ToS breach.

However, is there a ToS issue if I still take the call (through UpWork Zoom) and tell the client their suggestion was unacceptable, but that if they wish to work "legally" via UpWork, I'm still happy to do that.

Or is it better just to withdraw my proposal, report the client and move on?

They have previous hires/reviews, so really they ought to know better.

Advice appreciated. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Matthew C wrote:

You've already reported the client by posting here, so I'd suggest you tread carefully working with that client as they won't be overly thrilled when Upwork get in touch to slap their wrist...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Matthew C wrote:

You've already reported the client by posting here, so I'd suggest you tread carefully working with that client as they won't be overly thrilled when Upwork get in touch to slap their wrist...

Ah, I hadn't really considered that. I think I'll withdraw then - err on the side of caution. 

Community Member

Hi!

I need to contact upwork. How can i do that?

Thank you
Ridma
petra_r
Community Member

Ridma E wrote:
I need to contact upwork. How can i do that?

You can ask your question here

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths