🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contacted outside of Upwork
Page options
taramcg
Community Member

Contacted outside of Upwork

I am a freelancer who recently responded to a job post with a proposal. The job post-er did a search on me and contacted me outside of Upwork on my private web site. Do I withdraw my proposal? How do they even know my name from my proposal - does Upwork provide them my name? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "The job post-er did a search on me and contacted me outside of Upwork on my private web site."

This is a violation of Upwork TOS. And it is rude.

However: if a client did this, after I applied to their job, I would probably let it slide and not report it or say anything to them if they hired me through Upwork.

It is possible that they were not trying to do anything wrong, but they just did not know any better.

If they insisted on offering to hire me without using an official Upwork contract, then I would report them.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

When you submit a job proposal, the clients can see your name.

It is inappropriate and a violation for Upwork users to contact other users through non-Upwork methods when they have not been explicitly provided with the contract information to do so.

Yes, thanks. That's why I am asking if I should withdraw my proposal? Thanks for any guidance.

taramcg
Community Member

...Meaning, I am aware of the regulations and terms of agreement. But now that he has breached them, shall I withdraw my proposal (not so that I can work with him, but because rules were broken).

Hi Tara,

Could you please send me a private message with more information on this along with the job post you are referring to so that I can check?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

re: "The job post-er did a search on me and contacted me outside of Upwork on my private web site."

However: if a client did this, after I applied to their job, I would probably let it slide and not report it or say anything to them if they hired me through Upwork.

It is possible that they were not trying to do anything wrong, but they just did not know any better.

If they insisted on offering to hire me without using an official Upwork contract, then I would report them.

Preston H wrote:

As a client and a freelancer, even though I have shared my email or phone in the past as a means to have an interview (After the client requests an interview or after I request an interview with a freelancer), but I've never contacted them through another means without their permission. I have connected with many clients and freelancers on LinkedIn after the fact as part of my network, and we continue to contract through Upwork. But seeking you out outside of Upwork without your permission seems a little too stalkerish for my taste. I'd beware. We all Google our clients to vet them, but contacting you through another means without your permission feels creepy to me. I'd beware. 

re: "We all Google our clients to vet them..."

I have never done so.

Preston H wrote:

re: "We all Google our clients to vet them..."

I have never done so.

Okay, I apologize for the generalization. "All of us except Preston..."   😉 

I was told to contact the employer on Skype. He then asked for my full name, home address, and email address. Is that normal or legal on UpWork?

Hi Kachi, 

This is an unusual request and hopefully, you didn't send this information to your client. Clients normally don't need your address and you can share with them your general location if that's a need. 

If your client requested for your email address to communicate with you outside of Upwork before the contract has started, please know that this is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. You may want to read up this announcement thread for more information regarding this. If you need to discuss the project details with your client before setting up a contract, I would recommend using the Zoom integration in your Message Center to use Zoom to make calls to your potential clients. 

If you haven't already, please flag the client's job post by clicking on the "Flag Inappropriate" button on the upper-right hand corner of the job post so that it goes to the team's queue for their further review. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I blocked that person and found that UpWork had removed his post.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members