🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Contacting Outside Upwork
Page options
muhamd_asim
Community Member

Contacting Outside Upwork

**Edited for community guidelines**

I hope you all are doing great. Is okay to provide the skype ID before the contract? As after new policies you are not allowed to contact outside before the contract.

I think it is fine in this case.

Please guide.

3 REPLIES 3
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If you know about the policy, why would you think that it's okay to violate it? It's not okay, and the wording of the message that you received sounds like a scam anyway. Tell this person that you'll call him through the Upwork system, and if he still insists on Skype, report him.
roberty1y
Community Member

I hope you're doing well. Thank you very much for answering our questions. I'm glad to inform you that you've been shortlisted for this project! [...]

That's scamspeak if ever I saw it.

JoanneP

Hi Muhammad,

Users will not be able to share things like email addresses, phone numbers, Skype IDs, etc in their profiles, proposals, job posts, invites, or Dash conversations before a contract is placed. This includes links directly to contact forms, forms asking for this kind of information, or links to external application systems. 

We find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of talent do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members