🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contacting out of upwork
Page options
ce9c9559
Community Member

Contacting out of upwork

Hi there. I am a new freelancer. A client asked me to contact via telegram but I refused and suggested him to talk in upwork. Then he deleted the proposal. Did I do right? Or is it allowed to contact the clients out of upwork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nigina N wrote:

But the job has been removed from upwork I couldn't find it after that.

That's because Upwork already removed it. Forget it and move on.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

You did the right thing. That was not a real client. That was a scammer trying to steal your money.

ce9c9559
Community Member

Thanks for your reply

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Was the request to contact him outside of Upwork in the actual post, or after you responded to it?

After I submitted a proposal he sent me his telegram address and asked me to write there.

Nigina N wrote:

After I submitted a proposal he sent me his telegram address and asked me to write there.

Flag the job and the message in the chat (gear to the right of the post)

Nigina N wrote:

That's because Upwork already removed it. Forget it and move on.

sofia2008
Community Member

Sophie, perfect about the links, but...,  some of them are about clients, not freelancers 😬

m_terrazas_0-1648554326268.png

Thank you for the note. When I click on them from my freelancer account, the links are either relevant to freelancers or to both, you need to choose if you are a freelancer. Can you send me a screenshot in private showing what you see so I can adjust my "Care package for Newbies"? Thanks!

Sophie A wrote:

Thank you for the note. When I click on them from my freelancer account, the links are either relevant to freelancers or to both, you need to choose if you are a freelancer. Can you send me a screenshot in private showing what you see so I can adjust my "Care package for Newbies"? Thanks!

It seems that when going to the links it does give information for freelancers. I have been guided by the titles in which "customer" appears 😁

No problem! They are refering to "Customer Service" 😉

Thank you Sophie I found these resources very useful.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

NIgina,

I include the following text in every proposal I send, including replying to direct offers and invitations:

"As you may know, during our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we only use Upwork’s own version of Zoom, rather than WhatsApp, Zoom, Hangouts, etc., to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

On-platform Interviews – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

After that call I can start work on this (immediately OR as soon as Upwork confirms your payment method). We can then use any method of communication you prefer."

I get very few replies from clients that request using non-Upwork communications channels, but I still do get some (especially from new clients).

Thanks a lot Will. That's a great idea. I will use such message in my proposals as well. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths