🐈 Community
xadek

Contacting unresponsive client

Hi everybody!

I had received an invitation from a client looking for a recruiter in my area. It was interesting to me and so I replied. I would get paid when and if my candidates got accepted for the job. I had asked the client for a voice call over the chat, but he didn't find this necessary and told me to first find two candidates, then we would call. 

He said I could start immediately, but I asked for a contract before I begin. So, he made up the contract with $5 in escrow. I accepted and went on looking for candidates, 

After gathering two candidates, I sent their cv's to my client and the client asked me to let them know they should expect a phone call the next day or on Monday, but the phone call never took place and now I have very disappointed candidates asking all sorts of questions. 

In a document the client sent me with information about the job I was recruiting candidates for, there were a name and e-mail of the hr-manager of the company this client owns. 

My question: Is it okay to tell the hr-manager my story and see if she will accept the cv's of the candidates that I have gathered, so they can still have a chance on getting the job? There is also a phone number of this manager in the document. Is it okay to try to come in contact with this client through this number? He has stopped responding to my questions and I haven't seen him online anymore! Maybe I should call to ask if he is still alive or not?!

Looking for a way to help the candidates as they are really disappointed!

Thanks in advance for your advice, 

Xadé K. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cupidmedia

It seems unlikely to me this person you spoke to actually represents the company they said they do. This job has "scam" written all over it. It is unlikely the position you're "recruiting" for exists.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
versailles

@Xadé K wrote:

I would get paid when and if my candidates got accepted for the job.

Stop. You need to take a break. You need to take a break and go to the help section of Upwork. Once you are there, you need to read and to learn about how to use Upwork.

This is not how you use Upwork. This is how you get scammed on Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Hi Rene, 

Thanks for replying. 

I am now very aware of that, thank you. My question now is: Can I help the candidates by contacting the hr-manager and sending her the cv's. I would really love to help the candidates, but is this against Upwork's policy to directly contact the office? I am done with the client. I have requested the amount in escrow and will close the contract asap. 

cupidmedia

It seems unlikely to me this person you spoke to actually represents the company they said they do. This job has "scam" written all over it. It is unlikely the position you're "recruiting" for exists.

Xade:

Jennifer is right... This "client" was wasting your time. Best to close the contract (if there is one) and be done with this.