Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content writing -Chemistry

emma_gopi_jr
Emma G Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
1 of 18

Hi. Hope everyone's doing great.

I am being interviewed for a job that requires me to solve and answer 50 multiple choice-questions in Chemistry, and to provide explanation how the chosen answer is correct and how the other choices are incorrect (I was given the link to a platform with which I should pattern my explanations).

The questions vary in the degree of difficulty and in the length of explanations required, but in general, they are mid-level Chemistry questions which need above-average skills. I tried 5 questions and it took me 6-7 hours to answer, provide explanations, check my answers and explanations against online references.

The client is asking how much will I charge for the project. I suggested that we work on my hourly rate. She was silent about it. Then I asked what the budget is, so that we can negotiate around that amount. But she insists that I give the price.

To cut this already long story short, I still couldn't come up with a price tag. Please help me on this.

Thank you so much!

Emma

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 18

You've invested 6-7 hours in this "job" before negotiating a price? I hope you haven't provided that work to the "client." 

If you want to go ahead with the job and the client isn't willing to work hourly, just estimate the number of hours the whole project will take and price it that way. Based on the work you've already done, 50 questions should take you 60-70 hours total. You may get faster as you go along, but you'll also want to build in some buffer. Use that to set your price, and be clear as to what you are providing for that price (for example, if it's fixed price, make sure that you lock down the maximum number of revisions, probably at one)

I kind of think this client is scamming you, but hope I'm wrong.

View solution in original post

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 18

@Tiffany S wrote:

It's also rather fishy that the client doesn't know what the correct answers are.

4 of 18

@John K wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

It's also rather fishy that the client doesn't know what the correct answers are.

I wanted to think that maybe the client just wanted to make sure the writer could identify the correct answers on her own, but...I've paid a lot of people to write a lot of explanations, and I would never have given them questions without an answer key.

emma_gopi_jr
5 of 18

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you for the insight. The suggestion I made to the client regarding the pricing is somewhere along that line.

Unfortunately, I got junked on the basis of "the amount of hours I spent" on the questions. I was blown away, and not in a good way. But after my initial disappointment, I sent the client a message saying that, as stated in my previous message, the number of hours can still be fine-tuned as I go along (I offered this line even before he had an issue about how much I spent answering the sample test questions), and that I was merely giving him the biger picture about what the work entails.

Yes, I sent the client the sample test answers. All 7 hours of work and all 11 pages of them (number of pages is immaterial, though, and a weak point of contention).

Thank you for the response. After I nurse my wounded ego, I can probably give a more constructive post regarding this in the Community :-P

Emma

tlsanders
Community Guru
6 of 18

Emma, don't feel too bad. New freelancers get taken advantage of this way often. Just make sure that you visit the "New to Upwork" section and learn more about common scams and how to use Upwork safely before you start your next job. 

emma_gopi_jr
7 of 18

Thank you, Tiffany.

I definitely learn a lot from this experience.

Kudos.

Emma

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 18

Hi Emma, 

Please take note that it is a violation of the Upwork ToS to request for free test work from the freelancers. Also, jobs requesting the creation of content that violates academic integrity is strictly prohibited. 

I invite you to read up on Vladimir's thread - 
Getting Started on Upwork - and check out the Safety First section to read tips on how to identify red flags on job posts and fraudulent clients. 

~ Avery
Upwork
emma_gopi_jr
9 of 18

Hi Avery.

Thank you for this.

"Please take note that it is a violation of the Upwork ToS to request for free test work from the freelancers. Also, jobs requesting the creation of content that violates academic integrity is strictly prohibited. "

Since, categorically, this has happened, should Upwork be notified? I mean, I am aware that I am partly responsible for allowing this to happen, as I relied mainly on the Client's payment and hiring history, when I decided to provide them with sample work. But as a member of the Community, I feel I got to do something constructive.

(Reading Vladimir's thread  on red flags made me cringe.)

Regards,

Emma

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 18

Hi Emma,

I've reported this to the Marketplace Quality Team and they will take the necessary actions against the client's account.

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS