🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Content writing challenges
Page options
melissabelcher
Community Member

Content writing challenges

Hi peeps
I have something that I need help with. Just some background - I get paid per word.
How do you deal with clients that require additional work such as graphics or graphs when all you get paid to do is write? I mean, additional work takes time that we do not get paid for.

Secondly, when it comes to revising work that includes new requests that weren't clarified in the clients initial request, what should we do?

So, for instance, if they require a piece with no stipulation about format or what to include, then later come back and ask for specifics and resources, how do you deal with this?

Thanks for the help!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How do you deal with clients that require additional work such as graphics or graphs when all you get paid to do is write?"

You were hired to do writing using a per-word fixed-price contract and then the client asked you to work on graphics and graphs?

Well, that's just silly.

I could make a joke about how a "picture is worth a 1000 words"...

But to be serious, of course it is not acceptable for a client to do that. If something like that happened to me I would of course not do anything at all that wasn't specifically written in the original fixed-price task agreement. And if the client wanted anything else outside of that I would require her to create an hourly contract.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Melissa B wrote:
How do you deal with clients that require additional work such as graphics or graphs when all you get paid to do is write? I mean, additional work takes time that we do not get paid for.
Secondly, when it comes to revising work that includes new requests that weren't clarified in the clients initial request, what should we do?
So, for instance, if they require a piece with no stipulation about format or what to include, then later come back and ask for specifics and resources, how do you deal with this?

You clarify all that before you accept the contract.

Things that are additional to what was agreed at your "per word" rate can be paid via additional milestones.

bevcam
Community Member

Melissa, I mostly have fixed-rate jobs too and as @Petra says, clarify all requirements before you accept an offer.

That said, it can happen that a client may want some additional work done, but then give them a quote before you agree to it and make sure the additional fee is funded before you work on the extended project.

Graphics/graphs and similar should be mentioned upfront by the client and if it's not then give them your fee when it comes up. To quote them, use your hourly rate by the number of hours it will take you to do the work. If you're sourcing images, etc - do the same and definitely charge for any images you pay for.

Always ask about format before you accept and don't assume that standard formats are acceptable. Finally, also always state how many rounds of revision (if any) you're willing to do, otherwise, that can go on and on and you end up doing more and more and the job goes on and on way beyond what it initially was.  

Thank you for the advice. It can be very frustrating, especially when they ask for one thing, and along the line they want to add something else. I end up having to redo and rework and I just don't think it's very ethical at all.

re: "especially when they ask for one thing, and along the line they want to add something else. I end up having to redo and rework"

That is what hourly contracts are for.

re: "I just don't think it's very ethical at all."

It is either unethical or ignorant.

But it is up to freelancers to enforce the rules. There is no way for Upwork as an organization to enforce this. They can't police what clients ask freelancers to do.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How do you deal with clients that require additional work such as graphics or graphs when all you get paid to do is write?"

You were hired to do writing using a per-word fixed-price contract and then the client asked you to work on graphics and graphs?

Well, that's just silly.

But to be serious, of course it is not acceptable for a client to do that. If something like that happened to me I would of course not do anything at all that wasn't specifically written in the original fixed-price task agreement. And if the client wanted anything else outside of that I would require her to create an hourly contract.

ea31b1ea
Community Member

How do you deal withwith clients that require additional work such as graphics or graphs when all you get paid to do is write?"

Well, that's just silly.

69da5195
Community Member

Actually first of all u should do only that much work that u have been told to... it's yr mistake that u r going for more for some more profit..but it is actually not a right thing....

Let's take an example...when u go firoany exam nd all and if also u write more that 4 lines in place of 1 mark then r u getting more marks no...n?nd it goes same for the work too...

Ayushi kumari
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members