cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continual Decline in Rates for Voice Work?

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
21 of 25

@Bobby B wrote:

Well I think "difficult" obviously is a relative term.  Part of the challenge with producing high quality voice work is equipment/setting.   You can start out (like I did) with the blankets over your head and a decent mic but as you go for more lucrative (expert level) opportunities you have to up your game.   

Creating a space that provides the right acoustics/sound proofing can be quite challenging and expensive.  Throw in a good microphone and interface and you could be looking at several thousands of dollars.   

Now you have your setting/equipment what more could be to it?  Well now it's time to become a sound engineer (unless you have one at your disposal and can afford their rates) and learn the overwhelming amount of information about your DAW (digital audio workstation).   How loud should you record, how to improve your soundfloor, don't forget our friend compression, how much EQ to use....on and on.   

Now that we have gone through all that...what about the ability to read something in a way that is going to catch the client's ear over the competition?   Do you sound natural?  Are you emphasising at the right moments?  Are you clear on every word?   Recording done?  Well you better get in there now and scrub that audio...breaths, mouth clicks/pops, etc.

You get the idea...it's the difference between being "good/okay" and being "great" at it...

Cheers!

Yep. It is relative (having taught for 10 years, difficulty depends on many factors both internal and external).

My hubs is entering the voice over space. He says it's not difficult -- but, that's just him.

So, it's great to understand a different perspective from someone else who is in the field professionally. 

You had me LOL'ing at the blanket over the head hahaha!

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
22 of 25

@Bobby B wrote:

You get the idea...it's the difference between being "good/okay" and being "great" at it...

Cheers!

I think you're great at it and the thought you put into it really comes through in the recordings.

It might just be that you have to figure out how to get through to a higher level of clients than the ones who put out the low budget/last minute jobs.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
23 of 25

@Bobby,

Sorry to hear that your recent job search hasn't been that great! And since nobody else said this (or my one cup of coffee so far isn't cutting it):

I have spells like that too, but am way totally in a different filed. Eb and tide of the seasons, who knows.

There are a few AUDIO professionals who pop into the forums a few times a week. So far, I haven't seen any of them in this thread.  But your post title is good, so hang in there. Your peer group, so to speak, should show up in a day or 3.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
24 of 25

Upwork is continually working to expand its customer base. And, while it has begun limiting the number of new freelancers allowed onto the platform the growth rate remains high. Additionally, other freelance platforms are falling behind due to an even worse reputation among both freelancers and clients. 

From visiting various forums and reading comments what I see is:

Prospective clients are being told by their peers that freelance sites are a great place to get workers willing to perform for incredibly low rates. These are not traditional clients who are accustomed to working with freelancers, but newbs who are acting based on what they've been told. 

Many of these new clients don't have a clue that there are differences in quality. They may be having bad experiences with freelancers who bid low and perform lower. This sours the market for everyone. Quality freelancers have some opportunity to educate brand new (potential) clients through the proposal process and through our profiles. We need to explain the difference between cheap and quality. And freelancers -- wherever they are located -- need to be brave enough to charge for quality if that is what they offer. 

On the other side, there are experienced clients who don't care about quality at all. They want cheap to free and have learned how to work the system of feedback here to get that. They bully, coerce and blackmail freelancers into giving them work for free. These are scam artists. Their job posts are designed to trap freelancers. You may perform the highest quality of work and it won't matter, these clients will still attempt to force you to work for free using the threat of bad feedback and ridiculously - lawsuits! Freelancers need to be educated on how to shut these "clients" down and brave enough to face the consequences to their JSS. 

Unfortunately, very few freelancers feel that they can afford to be suspended, banned, or have their JSS drop in the short-term while they try to convince Upwork that a scam client is lying. 

When you work on any freelance platform, you are tiny little fish swimming among sharks. You can find good clients that you can work with and build long term relationships, but you've got to be constantly on the lookout for predators. 

Bobby, I used my sleuthing skills to find your website- are you on LinkedIn? Everyone is going video/podcast now, you should be making connections there. 

bbakersvoice
Ace Contributor
Bobby B Member Since: May 21, 2017
25 of 25

Do tell more about where I should be going/using?   I am on linked in but it's for my "old" career haven't created a new account for my new freelancer adventures. 😉 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS