🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Continuing difficult client issues
Page options
nicksellers
Community Member

Continuing difficult client issues

Hello

I have been having problems with a client that I designeda logo for. The client was very happy with the work and happily signed off the project and left great feedback. A week late the client cam back and said that the work needs resizing, so as a good will gesture I resized the work  and sent it back. Last week the client got in touch again and said that he require it resizing a further 16 times. 
I expalined to the client that I would be willing to do the work but there would be an additional charge, the client felt that it was part of the original brief and that I should do it for free. It was not part of the original brief.
I posted this situation on UpWork help on Saturday and I advised to block the client, which I did.
The client has now requested a refund. What will happen?  I am not willing to give a refund. Will UpWork automatically refund the fee?

I have 100% rated staus and have never had a problem with clients before.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Kind regards Nick S

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Nick S wrote:

I have been having problems with a client that I designeda logo for. The client was very happy with the work and happily signed off the project and left great feedback. A week late the client cam back and said that the work needs resizing, so as a good will gesture I resized the work  and sent it back. Last week the client got in touch again and said that he require it resizing a further 16 times. 
I expalined to the client that I would be willing to do the work but there would be an additional charge, the client felt that it was part of the original brief and that I should do it for free. It was not part of the original brief.
I posted this situation on UpWork help on Saturday and I advised to block the client, which I did.
The client has now requested a refund. What will happen?  I am not willing to give a refund. Will UpWork automatically refund the fee?

No, Upwork will not do that. Unblock the client, tell them firmly but very politely that you will not entertain a refund because the work was done and approved. Ignore the refund request. The client can't do anything anymore, it is too late. They can't raise a dispute either (That is only posssible within 30 days of the last milestone being funded). They can ask for mediation, but mediation can't make you refund either. *IF* it comes to that, just say the same thing in mediation. They may try to make you compromise, just politely and firmly say "No."

"The client can't do anything anymore" - oh yes they can. I've had it happen to me. Milestone fee set, approved, paid, received and AFTER the fact I had to repay it.

R. Lee B wrote:

"The client can't do anything anymore" - oh yes they can. I've had it happen to me. Milestone fee set, approved, paid, received and AFTER the fact I had to repay it.

I think you're leaving a great many steps out there, aren't you?

Was your client also outside the 30 day dispute deadline like the OP's client?

Did you take it to arbitration?

Thank you for your reply Petra.

The contract was started on 12th May and conpleted on the 15th May and was an hourly contract... the refund requested was requested on Saturday 13th June... does this pass in fall in the deadline?

Regards Nick

Nick S wrote:

The contract was started on 12th May and conpleted on the 15th May and was an hourly contract... the refund requested was requested on Saturday 13th June... does this pass in fall in the deadline?

Did you log your time and had meaningful work memos? But anyway, requesting a refund is not a dispute, so the dispute deadline would be from the date the client tries to officially dispute. Either way, the client is outside the dispute deadline, and could at best go for some kind of mediation, but they don't really have a leg to stand on and mediation suggestions are not binding anyway. I would suggest you just politely but firmly decline to refund and block them again.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths