🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Continuing the work after another develop...
Page options
e4763716
Community Member

Continuing the work after another developer.

To whoever is reading this, I hope you're having a lovely day.
I'm a flutter developer, and I have accpeted a contract from a client that requires some changes in her mobile application which are fairly simple. The issue is, that the codebase of her project is in a really bad state (Filled with deperacations, bad code structure, not documented and unreadable, etc...) to the point that I can't even get it up and running.
In this case, what should I do? Should I just end the contract and get a bad review (Which is very bad since I'm a new member), or should I let her contact the old developer so I can get in touch with him?
I really am desparate and in need for some advice. Thank you for reading. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abdurhman, 

I'm unfamiliar with how these types of projects are managed, but I think it would be best to discuss this further with your client and let them know that the project's codebase isn't good. From there, you may provide your client with options for moving forward - contact the old developer, start from scratch, etc. 

If you and the client decide to proceed with the project and money exchanges hands (meaning you get paid for the work you submitted) your client will have an opportunity to leave private and public feedback for you. If you decide to end the contract, you and your client will not be able to leave public feedback for each other. However, both of you can leave private feedback.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
yofazza
Community Member

I've been in that situation a number of times that I know I should not take such work if I can't see it first or until the client agrees with some conditions.

> What should I do.

If it's about review, I believe there'll be none if no money involved but I'm not sure about your JSS thing.

If I were you and I think there's still a possibility to "continue" the work then I'll contact the old developer (with low possibility of a good outcome).

I'd also try to explain how a redo-from-scratch is better in some situations.

e4763716
Community Member

Firstly, thank you for your reply and advice Radia.
In regards to the review, the client has the money funded in escrow, if I ended the contract while it's in this current state, will the client be able to leave a bad review? I'm asking just in case the old developer gave me no hand.
Much apperciated Radia!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abdurhman, 

I'm unfamiliar with how these types of projects are managed, but I think it would be best to discuss this further with your client and let them know that the project's codebase isn't good. From there, you may provide your client with options for moving forward - contact the old developer, start from scratch, etc. 

If you and the client decide to proceed with the project and money exchanges hands (meaning you get paid for the work you submitted) your client will have an opportunity to leave private and public feedback for you. If you decide to end the contract, you and your client will not be able to leave public feedback for each other. However, both of you can leave private feedback.

~ Avery
Upwork
e4763716
Community Member

Thank you for your answer Avery. I really appereciate it!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members