cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Continuing with client after Upwork project ends

joellesperanza
Joelle S Member Since: Jan 21, 2019
1 of 6

Hi. I am new to Upwork. I just finished a PR project with a client and they want to continue to work with me as their publicist but asked about working directly through me and not Upwork. Is that allowed?

Or do they need to set up a new "project" on Upwork and can they directly hire me and not have it open to others to apply?

Thanks in advance!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Joelle S wrote:

Hi. I am new to Upwork. I just finished a PR project with a client and they want to continue to work with me as their publicist but asked about working directly through me and not Upwork. Is that allowed?

No, that is categorically not allowed and agreeing to it could cot you your Upwork account

Joelle S wrote:

Or do they need to set up a new "project" on Upwork and can they directly hire me and not have it open to others to apply?

If the first contract is still open (and it looks like it is) - you can continue through that. If the first contract is closed the client can just hit the "rehire" button on their client interface and hire you again.

joellesperanza
3 of 6

Perfect. Thank you!!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 6

Hi Joelle,

As Petra pointed out, it would be a violation of Upwork ToS to offer or accept payments outside of Upwork, unless you've been working with this client on Upwork for more than 24 months. Please, check this help article for more information. If you'd like to report a violation of Upwork ToS, please see this help article for more information on how to do it.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

joellesperanza
5 of 6

Thanks so much! I had a feeling that wasn't allowed. I will share with the client. 

c16555e2
Scott F Member Since: Jan 16, 2019
6 of 6

Have them set up a Milestone on their side.  You get paid for the work done and the new "milestone." is your marching orders for the next assignment.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS