🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Contract End without Prior Notice
Page options
mangona-sherryll
Community Member

Contract End without Prior Notice

Hi, 

I am a freelancer for one client located in Australia, Without prior notice, he ended my contract without telling any reasons. Is that legal here? Did the client need to pay an extra for the damage what he did?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

A client may end a contract at any time, for any reason, without notice.

A freelancer may end a contract at any time, for any reason, without notice.

That is fine. No Upwork rules are violated by this.

re: "Is that legal here?"

Yes. This is allowed.

re: "Did the client need to pay an extra for the damage what he did?"

What are you talking about? What "damage"?

Why do you care if a client ends a contract? It's not even your project. You were paid for all the work that you did. Why are you concerned about this?

petra_r
Community Member

Sherryll M wrote:

Without prior notice, he ended my contract without telling any reasons.

As Preston mentioned, the nature of freelancing is that either party can end the contract at any time.

The client does not have to pay anything other than the hours you worked up to when the contract ended.

May I suggest that you check any prospective client's history before accepting a contract from them in future? There isn't a snowball in hell's chance I'd have considered to work with a client with such an apalling feedback history.

What damage? The main point of hiring a freelancer instead of an employee is that a client only has to pay for the time that they actually use, and can end a contract at any time. If that's not the sort of situation you're looking for, it would be better to find a permanent job.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths